Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 17:38   #46
Super Moderator

Re: Dance halls

You're quite right, Susie and as you say, the "other" Stewart Hartley has posted on here!
Old 06-03-2013, 17:47   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I think the beatnik one spelt his name Stewart as opposed to Stuart. Here he is, anyway, on the right, circa 1964
John Sergeant think he was a year above me at Accy Tech.. became a quite decent fell runner with Clayton Harriers Susie. Lived at the bottom of Avenue Parade. Was his mother a music teacher maybe?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:52   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
John Sergeant think he was a year above me at Accy Tech.. became a quite decent fell runner with Clayton Harriers Susie. Lived at the bottom of Avenue Parade. Was his mother a music teacher maybe?
John Serjeant (note spelling) was my boyfriend for two years or so early sixties. Yes, his mother taught piano and they lived at the bottom of Avenue Parade. Sadly his mum was run over and killed virtually right outside her door, some time in the seventies I believe. They also had Farmery's leather shop opposite the Post Office.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:44   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
John Serjeant (note spelling) was my boyfriend for two years or so early sixties.
mmm Susie I remember John having a few lucky escapes up Ingleton too when we were in the Accrington Caving Club.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54   #50

Quote:
mmm Susie I remember John having a few lucky escapes up Ingleton too when we were in the Accrington Caving Club.
I'm 'wandering' now.......

Would that be the same as the group that used to go potholing?? I remember them because I attended just one of their meetings and as it finished we got the news of the Kennedy assassination. I can remember a lad called Ray Dewhurst being one of the group
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25   #51
Resting In Peace

Well he wasn't a caver or a fell runner when I knew him... 62/3/4 it would be.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:56   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post

Would that be the same as the group that used to go potholing?? I remember them because I attended just one of their meetings and as it finished we got the news of the Kennedy assassination. I can remember a lad called Ray Dewhurst being one of the group
Yes Ray Dewhurst was one of the founder members. Early meetings were mostly in the Abbey and a couple in the Blockade. Minibus up to Clapaham or Chapel le Dale Sunday mornings.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24   #53
Mog

Quote:
Yes Ray Dewhurst was one of the founder members. Early meetings were mostly in the Abbey and a couple in the Blockade. Minibus up to Clapaham or Chapel le Dale Sunday mornings.
Think I rememeber some guys doing potholing and climbing etc from the Abbey or the Bridge. One guy got killed when he fell, I think they called him Flash or something like that.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
One guy got killed when he fell, I think they called him Flash or something like that.
Ray Lightfoot aka Flash he was climbing a cast iron drain pipe on the Ingleton Viaduct after a night in the Wheatsheaf. The drainpipe and Flash peeled off with fatal consequences. We all thought we were invincible in those days.
Old 07-03-2013, 21:14   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
... 62/3/4 it would be.
Time and tide wait for no man or woman even in Morecambe Bay as Chaucer used to say.

I guess Susie as Michael Faraday said " If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate"

You being a scientist and all would know that
susie123 likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47   #56
I am Banned

Talking Re: Dance halls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post

Got the old ZX Spectrum down from the loft and loaded up the C60 cassette. Early members of the Accy Caving Club "Ray D, Mel Singleton , Raymond Lightfoot (dec), David Preston,Jack Pickup, John Conway, Pete Fisken & moi. Ladies Sue Gilespie, Judy Twissell and a few more......
Can't find any pics but I have got the techy guys at Creech AFB working on another cassette, who knows what they may come up with.

Last edited by DtheP47; 09-03-2013 at 09:51.
Old 09-03-2013, 18:18   #57
Mog

Quote:
Got the old ZX Spectrum down from the loft and loaded up the C60 cassette. Early members of the Accy Caving Club "Ray D, Mel Singleton , Raymond Lightfoot (dec), David Preston,Jack Pickup, John Conway, Pete Fisken & moi. Ladies Sue Gilespie, Judy Twissell and a few more......
Can't find any pics but I have got the techy guys at Creech AFB working on another cassette, who knows what they may come up with.
If I remember right, You had a movie camera of some sort about 63/64 and I think you had a film of me crossing Abbey Street. I was seeing a lass called Connie at the time. She had a ladies Hairdressers top of Blackburn rd on the right hand side. ( I think.)
Old 09-03-2013, 20:09   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
If I remember right, You had a movie camera of some sort about 63/64 and I think you had a film of me crossing Abbey Street. I was seeing a lass called Connie at the time. She had a ladies Hairdressers top of Blackburn rd on the right hand side. ( I think.)
Connie Downes married Jack Henry (who jaysay will surely know from Ossy ?).
Her and Carol Duckett?? were inseperable in the sixties and are still best mates.

Carol now hitched to the infamous, inimitable and gravelly voiced pub singer Tommy Franks. Nino "thingy" before that, latin lothario who had a garage behind the old Asda/Queens Bingo

I remember wandering off up the coppice with Carol on a few occassions to have a look at the "err" wooden gun carriages and emplacementsup there *grin*

Movie camera Mog yes it was Eumig 8mm. Current Mrs P say" You are not going up that flipping loft looking for it at this time of night ****** off to the Forts wi yer chums"
Stevie R likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 20:18   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Carol was in my Class at St Johns, brought up on same street, worked at M@S fer most of her working life,
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47   #60
Mog

Quote:
Connie Downes married Jack Henry (who jaysay will surely know from Ossy ?).
Her and Carol Duckett?? were inseperable in the sixties and are still best mates.

Carol now hitched to the infamous, inimitable and gravelly voiced pub singer Tommy Franks. Nino "thingy" before that, latin lothario who had a garage behind the old Asda/Queens Bingo

I remember wandering off up the coppice with Carol on a few occassions to have a look at the "err" wooden gun carriages and emplacementsup there *grin*

Movie camera Mog yes it was Eumig 8mm. Current Mrs P say" You are not going up that flipping loft looking for it at this time of night ****** off to the Forts wi yer chums"
Yes you are right,She did marry Jack. I used to go with Connie and Bob Burnside was going with Carol. We used to go and look at the same gun carriages as well. Jack worked with me at Huncoat. He never looked very healthy in them days. Nino was a so called Mechanic. I think it was Connie who worked at Marks most of her working life though. Do you remember Connies brother who eloped to Gretna Green just before his planned wedding. Connies dad also operated the winding engine to get us miners up and down the shaft at Huncoat Pit. I used to dread going on the lift if he knew I was traveling on it. The operator had the ability to stop the cage dead as it was travelling the shaft. Ask any miner who has ever experienced it. ( New Underpants were required) I Knocked about with Tommy,s brother Frannie Franks for a while about 63/64.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..