Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27   #16
God Member

Re: poppie day

It saddens me so much that such a decision can even be thought up let alone made in our country.
We are supposed to be proud of our country, our servivemen/ women, and our fallen heroes. With exception to the first I am very proud of everything our armed forces give for us. Our fallen have died for thier country but yet thier country cannot it seems be proud to carry thier memory on thier shoulders in fear of offending others.

Its high time this country and its so called officials gained the bottle to stand up for what is right. Lord knows they are good at sending our kids out there to do just that on thier behalf.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: poppie day

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed but the focus on WWI is always on Europe.

Very little is being mentioned about the 2nd front in the Middle East. Gallipolis for example and North Africa vis-a-vi Lawrence of Arabia.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:51   #18
Resting in Peace

I was on my way to be taken home by ambulance this morning at 11am, there were notices al over the hospital asking people to observe a two minutes silence at 11am. It surprised me just how many people ignored the request, even though people were stood along the coridoors observing the silence.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: poppie day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was on my way to be taken home by ambulance this morning at 11am, there were notices al over the hospital asking people to observe a two minutes silence at 11am. It surprised me just how many people ignored the request, even though people were stood along the coridoors observing the silence.
No surprise really. People have got too insular.

It wasn’t all that long ago when buses, cars, taxis, lorries all stopped at 11:00am as did pedestrians to observe the two minutes silence.

Surely it isn’t asking very much to give up just TWO MINUTES out of 525,600 once a year? Millions gave up much, much more.
Old 11-11-2008, 13:30   #20

I was in Ossy Mills where the "Two minute's silence" was observed by nearly everyone, but the majority of us were over-fifty.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 13:31   #21
Senior Member+

I did but theres only me and the cat here...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 18:55   #22
God Member

I attended the service at the war memorial in Victoria Park today ... quite a moving experience with several wounded vets of the Afghan war on hand to make us realize the sacrifices that Canadian men and women are making.

Just as an aside, on the back of the Canadian $10.00 bill is printed a portion of the poem "In Flanders Fields" by Lt-Col. John McCrae M.D. (1872-1918), Canadian Corps.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 21:19   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
No surprise really. People have got too insular.

It wasn’t all that long ago when buses, cars, taxis, lorries all stopped at 11:00am as did pedestrians to observe the two minutes silence.

Surely it isn’t asking very much to give up just TWO MINUTES out of 525,600 once a year? Millions gave up much, much more.
I agree Jim and this is one Veteran got for his troubles.

Pendle war veteran, 89, attacked by burglars in his home (From Lancashire Telegraph)

We have got our priorities all wrong and it seems everyone ignores it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 23:32   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well today paris observed the silence in Marks n Sparks down accy along with most of the shoppers, but was gobsmacked to see a bloke wearing a poppy, completly ignore it, n go merrily around looking at clothes.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51   #25
God Member

My neice works in our local JJB in town and she said that her manager gave a little speach and they all came to a stand still for 2 mins as well.
I was quite impresed as this is a young store with most staff being under 25 so good stuff jjb
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I agree Jim and this is one Veteran got for his troubles.

Pendle war veteran, 89, attacked by burglars in his home (From Lancashire Telegraph)

We have got our priorities all wrong and it seems everyone ignores it.
this assault on this brave man is sickening ,i truly hope they catch the scum who did this a that they get what they deserve
stevie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 14:41   #27
God Member

I saw this on the news . How awful and that poor fella . How on gods earth can someone do this to a defenceless old guy, He didnt stand a chance .
It certainly puts fear of god into me when I look to the future you just dont whats going to happen
Just hope these thugs are caught soon and get locked up with the key thrown away .
Old 12-11-2008, 15:11   #28

as a kid i remember my Dad telling me what a sacrifice had been made by both men and women in both wars, even though he thought war was futile he respected the fact that these people had gone to fight for us, and many lives had been lost when he explained some of the terrible things that had gone on, my respect grew for what had been done for the following generations,i feel all this as been removed maybe made less personal for todays youth its been shelved as just history,because for the life of me how can anybody have done beaten anybody let alone an old soldier ,i making ref to Mr Schofield the gentleman who was attack on rememberance sunday
stevie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 15:26   #29
white rabbits

This is what the dont slap kids and give yobo,s a holiday brigade are causing...its just down right sick,
Old 12-11-2008, 16:16   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie96 View Post
this assault on this brave man is sickening ,i truly hope they catch the scum who did this a that they get what they deserve
Saw this on TV this morning, and they interviewed top cop who is on the case, he said that all the peple o the team are so revved up about this insident, that no stone will be left unturned until they catch these people. Then some judge will feel sorry for them because they're down on their luck and give the a slap on the wrists

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..