Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51   #1
God Member

The Todmorden Curve

I notice that today's O/L edition of the Accy Observer headlines the news about the reinstatement of the of the Todmorden Curve. Notwithstanding the stuff about the creation of an additional 1000 jobs (where did they get this figure from?) and the fact that it is a little sop by Clegg to the Lib-Dem constituency of Burnley and the Tory constituency of Pendle, I have a simple question.

Where exactly will the trains going to Manchester start and terminate coming from Manchester?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 04-11-2011 at 08:55.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01   #2
Super Moderator

Re: accrington railway bridge

Victoria, I would imagine.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:20   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Victoria, I would imagine.
Err...the other end, Wyn.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Err...the other end, Wyn.
Oh right, sorry, Mr T! I would've thought they'd go through to Blackpool, as many services do now.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12   #5

I think the Manchester end will be Piccadilly, as far as i remember about the only thing coming north now from Victoria is the tram to Bury.
Could be wrong though.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
I think the Manchester end will be Piccadilly, as far as i remember about the only thing coming north now from Victoria is the tram to Bury.
Could be wrong though.
Nope, the Clitheroe/Blackburn service still terminates at Victoria.
Old 04-11-2011, 15:12   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Oh right, sorry, Mr T! I would've thought they'd go through to Blackpool, as many services do now.
The problem is Wyn, that there are already trains running direct from Blackpool to Manchester, via Preston; there are also additional trains running from Preston to Manchester and of course, there are trains from Clitheroe/Blackburn running to Manchester. So what will be the business case for putting on additional services to go via Accrington and Todmorden to Manchester?

I can't see a terminal/start point at Accrington - there is no room, unless we knock down Tesco to build a new platform and I can't see trains starting from Colne (unless they build/rebuild(?) a curve between Rose Grove & Hapton to link up with the Hebden Bridge line, which then takes Accy out the equation – unless you’re prepared to change at Burnley Manchester Rd. Add on the waiting time for that, and it’s going to be a lot quicker by the existing bus service, the X41. So what about the people in Burnley/Nelson/Colne? They’ll need to get to BMrd – so it may be quicker for them to use their bus service X43.

In addition, the cost quoted is simply the construction costs of reinstating the curve. The train operating companies have to provide (either purchase or lease) the rolling stock and they’re not going to do that unless they can be sure of getting a return. I just don’t see that this has been properly thought through, other than as an electoral bribe to the people of Burnley/Colne and possibly Accy

Old 04-11-2011, 15:29   #8
God Member

The Todmorden Curve

I notice that Network Rail and the Government have agreed to the reopening of the railway between Burnley And Todmorden, cutting journey times to Manchester. Our MP, The council and Lancs CC, are all hailing this development as a boost to the local economy and predict 1000 extra jobs within a decade.

What do members think; Is it the best news we've had in yonks, or is it the usual too little too late?
Old 04-11-2011, 15:30   #9
Beacon of light

Re: The Todmorden Curve

Think it might just be too little, too late.
Hope I am wrong(I usually am) but that is my feeling.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 15:46   #10
Senior Member+

agreed, considering it should never have been closed in the first place and secondly the cost of travel. Can't see many people jumping on the morning commute wagon
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 15:55   #11
God Member

Looking at the map, is it really any quicker from accy to manchester going via Todmorden than it is to go via Blackburn. There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference.
Old 04-11-2011, 15:58   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

As requested I have moved some posts on this subject that was already being discussed in another thread
Old 04-11-2011, 16:06   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
The problem is Wyn, that there are already trains running direct from Blackpool to Manchester, via Preston; there are also additional trains running from Preston to Manchester and of course, there are trains from Clitheroe/Blackburn running to Manchester. So what will be the business case for putting on additional services to go via Accrington and Todmorden to Manchester?

I can't see a terminal/start point at Accrington - there is no room, unless we knock down Tesco to build a new platform and I can't see trains starting from Colne (unless they build/rebuild(?) a curve between Rose Grove & Hapton to link up with the Hebden Bridge line, which then takes Accy out the equation – unless you’re prepared to change at Burnley Manchester Rd. Add on the waiting time for that, and it’s going to be a lot quicker by the existing bus service, the X41. So what about the people in Burnley/Nelson/Colne? They’ll need to get to BMrd – so it may be quicker for them to use their bus service X43.

In addition, the cost quoted is simply the construction costs of reinstating the curve. The train operating companies have to provide (either purchase or lease) the rolling stock and they’re not going to do that unless they can be sure of getting a return. I just don’t see that this has been properly thought through, other than as an electoral bribe to the people of Burnley/Colne and possibly Accy
Hmmm...I see what you mean. I'll be watching future developments with interest.

From a purely selfish point of view, I hope it does happen. It'll be much easier to get home after night matches!
Old 04-11-2011, 16:16   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I notice that today's O/L edition of the Accy Observer headlines the news about the reinstatement of the of the Todmorden Curve. Notwithstanding the stuff about the creation of an additional 1000 jobs (where did they get this figure from?) and the fact that it is a little sop by Clegg to the Lib-Dem constituency of Burnley and the Tory constituency of Pendle, I have a simple question.

Where exactly will the trains going to Manchester start and terminate coming from Manchester?
The headline about the jobs, created by the spinmeisters at Lancashire County Council, made me smile too.

Is there any evidence that '1,000 jobs could be created in the area, within the next ten years'?

Or is it a figure plucked from mid air?

I suppose how they define the 'area' matters.

Is it a ten mile radius from every stop along the length of the line?

Laughable spin aside, it can only be good new for the area. Having a direct journey to the biggest city in the north west.

Choo-choo.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:22   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
What do members think; Is it the best news we've had in yonks, or is it the usual too little too late?
Well, when Turkey's finally admitted to the E.U., it'll be nice if we have a 1,000 new jobs here, to welcome them to the area.

You've got to be hospitable.

Fair's fair.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..