Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Knowlemere Street dance (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/knowlemere-street-dance-52154.html)

jaysay 13-04-2010 09:14

Re: Knowlemere Street dance

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 805842)
Two questions was it Lennie Herbert? n is that you?:);)

Well I'm nearly sure Lennie Herbert was Lennie and the Teen Beats cashy

cashman 13-04-2010 13:53

The Arcadium Ballroom, Accrington on Manchesterbeat - the group and music scene of Manchester in the '60s -just dug this up Lennie.:)

AccyGirl 13-04-2010 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 805995)

great to see this picture...the other road is Malt Street..

Barrie Yates 13-04-2010 20:39

Never knew it was called the Arcadium Ballroom. Just knew it as Knowlemere St. I seem to have a memory of an Off-Licence on the diagonal corner, but looking at the street shots on GE I can't make out where it was. Is it just my imagination or does anyone else remember it, also a Telephone Box very close by?

cashman 13-04-2010 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 806147)
Never knew it was called the Arcadium Ballroom. Just knew it as Knowlemere St. I seem to have a memory of an Off-Licence on the diagonal corner, but looking at the street shots on GE I can't make out where it was. Is it just my imagination or does anyone else remember it, also a Telephone Box very close by?

Yep the off licence was corner of Malt Street n Milnshaw lane Barrie facing Whalley Rd. we always called the ballroom the "Arts".:)

Barrie Yates 13-04-2010 21:51

Thanks Cashy, always thought it was nearer than that. I intend to walk from there to where the Haslingden Bus Stop used to be - a special trip down memory lane when I am over in May.

cashman 13-04-2010 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 806165)
Thanks Cashy, always thought it was nearer than that. I intend to walk from there to where the Haslingden Bus Stop used to be - a special trip down memory lane when I am over in May.

Just thought was it not a "Mail Box"? not a Telephone, one of the big owd red uns.:)

AccyGirl 13-04-2010 22:35

Hi Cashy, I have just uploaded a photo in the old Accrington photo's..titled Whalley Road...just near the turning for Knowlmere Street.... if I remember rightly the CLOCK Garage was on opposite corner....I remember the shop in the picture was a chemist in the early 60's....
hope this is of interest.....

cashman 13-04-2010 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 806185)
Hi Cashy, I have just uploaded a photo in the old Accrington photo's..titled Whalley Road...just near the turning for Knowlmere Street.... if I remember rightly the CLOCK Garage was on opposite corner....I remember the shop in the picture was a chemist in the early 60's....
hope this is of interest.....

It would be if i could find it?:confused: were is it please?:)

AccyGirl 13-04-2010 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806188)
It would be if i could find it?:confused: were is it please?:)

As I am new to this web site :o, I wasn't sure how to upload it here..so put it in the Gallery then recent photo's it is also in Old Accrington photo's in the Streets folder....:)

cashman 13-04-2010 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 806189)
As I am new to this web site :o, I wasn't sure how to upload it here..so put it in the Gallery then recent photo's it is also in Old Accrington photo's in the Streets folder....:)

Don't be embaressed ive bin on fer years n am still a complete numpty, no idea how to upload photos n such things.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

AccyGirl 13-04-2010 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806192)
Don't be embaressed ive bin on fer years n am still a complete numpty, no idea how to upload photos n such things.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

thanks Cashy.....by the way do you remember Accrington Palace Theatre Club on Blackburn Road, Church...some great acts on there early 60's...

cashman 13-04-2010 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 806193)
thanks Cashy.....by the way do you remember Accrington Palace Theatre Club on Blackburn Road, Church...some great acts on there early 60's...

Was it the one just before the "Oak Tree"? was a place i never went, only went Empire ossy once.:)

AccyGirl 13-04-2010 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806194)
Was it the one just before the "Oak Tree"? was a place i never went, only went Empire ossy once.:)

it used to be a cinema, but became a cabaret club....Frank Ifield, Craig Douglas and many stars from that era appeared there....I worked in the upstairs bar in the evenings, for a little while to earn extra money.......it was great cos I got to see the stars for free...I think the compare was called Mike Shaun..and he stayed in the area for a long time, singing in local pubs..but then went to Spain.....sorry I am going off the subject of Knowlemere St...sorry..:o

Barrie Yates 14-04-2010 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806167)
Just thought was it not a "Mail Box"? not a Telephone, one of the big owd red uns.:)

A friend remembers buying Cherry Bs in the Offy and then she would stand in the phone box to drink them.