Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Knowlemere Street dance (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/knowlemere-street-dance-52154.html)

Bob Dobson 14-04-2010 07:46

Re: Knowlemere Street dance

We called it 'Th' Arc', which was short for Arcadian - the proper name.

The off-licence had been there for many years, having been bought by John Smith's from Bentley's Milnshaw brewery c1927. It stood at the bottom of Malt Street - so named because of the malt that was used there.

cashman 14-04-2010 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 806220)
A friend remembers buying Cherry Bs in the Offy and then she would stand in the phone box to drink them.

yeh yer right mate, remember buying some of them fer a bird who did the same.:D

jaysay 15-04-2010 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806192)
Don't be embaressed ive bin on fer years n am still a complete numpty, no idea how to upload photos n such things.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Likewise cashy can do links (thanks mike) and vids from YouTube (thanks Mancie) but as for photos, it took me 3 hours one Saturday afternoon to upload my Avatar photo, and I still don't know how I did it:D

Phil58 19-07-2010 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 805872)
I used to go to Knowlmere street 1960-63..and I also used to work next door at Schofields Bakery / Whitewell Caterers..I used to work in the office...Denis Brown was the owner..anybody remember Schofields Pies?

Denis Brown was my uncle! I remember him operating the pastry machine and my grandmother washing the pudding tins.

AccyGirl 03-08-2010 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil58 (Post 830045)
Denis Brown was my uncle! I remember him operating the pastry machine and my grandmother washing the pudding tins.

Just picked up your thread......I remember Denis so very well..I worked for him for 3 years...in the office at Schofirlds Bakery 1960 to 63...also helped out at several Whitewell Catering functions....he was engaged for quite a long time, but I don't think he ever married the lady...he was also involved with Whitewell dairies, Stanley Street and also a shop in Park Street and a cafe in Infant Street...Those where the days...:) Is Denis still around? xx

Gordon Booth 03-08-2010 14:11

When we were 16/17,four of us decided that to conquer the girls we needed to be expert dancers.So we all went to Knowlemere Street for lessons.After very few lessons,we could just about do the basic steps in the waltze and quickstep and decided the world was ours to take. We all rushed off to the Con Club,where we found most of the girls were old enough to be our very much older sisters and were very unimpressed by four boys who danced like string puppets.
I never did learn any more dances,rock and roll moved in.

jaysay 03-08-2010 18:30

Re: Knowlmere Street dance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 833619)
When we were 16/17,four of us decided that to conquer the girls we needed to be expert dancers.So we all went to Knowlemere Street for lessons.After very few lessons,we could just about do the basic steps in the waltze and quickstep and decided the world was ours to take. We all rushed off to the Con Club,where we found most of the girls were old enough to be our very much older sisters and were very unimpressed by four boys who danced like string puppets.
I never did learn any more dances,rock and roll moved in.

I tried that too Gordon but went to the Court School of Dancing above Burtons Tailors in Blackburn, only went the once and I still have two left feet when it comes to Ballroom dancing:D

cashman 03-08-2010 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 833690)
I tried that too Gordon but went to the Court School of Dancing above Burtons Tailors in Blackburn, only went the once and I still have two left feet when it comes to Ballroom dancing:D

Was that by the Mirabelle?

jaysay 03-08-2010 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 833696)
Was that by the Mirabelle?

Not sure cashy think the Mirabelle was long gone then and I never ventured or yon in the sixties

Barrie Yates 03-08-2010 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 833690)

Memories. I went there too, my GF at the time was really into Ballroom Dancing, but Knowlemere St was far more of a turn on - especially the girl I met there - '56/'57:):):)

jaysay 04-08-2010 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 833721)
Memories. I went there too, my GF at the time was really into Ballroom Dancing, but Knowlemere St was far more of a turn on - especially the girl I met there - '56/'57:):):)

Bet you were a real rascal in those days Barrie;):D

Barrie Yates 04-08-2010 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 833828)
Bet you were a real rascal in those days Barrie;):D

Me, a rascal? I wouldn't know but you could ask littlepom as she used to go there at that time;):)

Feather 04-09-2010 09:12

I found this thread doing a search for the Arcadian ballroom. I “haunted” the place 1957-1962 and was on the staff for a year or two. I did the cloakroom and took learners on for the price of my admittance! Cliff and Elena Davidson ran it then. Jim Hacking used to be on the door and was resident DJ.
I was searching “Google” because I was trying to remember the Lennie and the Teenbeats line up! I remember Lennie,Dave Tomlinson,Pete Flately and Vinnie Shaw. Were there any more??
I went up there every day apart from Wednesdays and Saturdays when I went the Accy Con (occasionally branched out to King Georges Hall or Nelson Imp!)
Cliff was a keeper of the morals and a matchmaker in his own way! What a character! If he did not approve of the boy I was dating he would not give me a pass out to go to the pub up the road, I would have to pay again to come in!! He often gave me a lift home in that classic sports car of his. Occasionally I got a lift from Jim who had a motorbike. He lived opposite me on Chestnut Grove (Fern Gore estate) .. Cliff smoked those weird perfumed cigarettes, cant remember what they were called?? He went on to develop emphysema and they moved to Devon. I received Christmas cards from Elena for years. Cliff died not long after they moved. I last saw Elena in 2004,she was then a very old lady and her eyesight was failing. I would love to know what has happened to her.
Cliff used to give me money every week to buy the Top 10 ,heaven!! He also gave them back to me when they fell out of favour. I wish I had kept them. I would be interested to hear other memories. I moved to Blackpool in 1980 and now spend a lot of time in Spain. I often spend New years Eve at the Poplar Club with old friends and its like coming home. I met Lennie there two years ago after not seeing him since I was 19!! I thought he had worn well!

jaysay 04-09-2010 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather (Post 842708)
I found this thread doing a search for the Arcadian ballroom. I “haunted” the place 1957-1962 and was on the staff for a year or two. I did the cloakroom and took learners on for the price of my admittance! Cliff and Elena Davidson ran it then. Jim Hacking used to be on the door and was resident DJ.
I was searching “Google” because I was trying to remember the Lennie and the Teenbeats line up! I remember Lennie,Dave Tomlinson,Pete Flately and Vinnie Shaw. Were there any more??
I went up there every day apart from Wednesdays and Saturdays when I went the Accy Con (occasionally branched out to King Georges Hall or Nelson Imp!)
Cliff was a keeper of the morals and a matchmaker in his own way! What a character! If he did not approve of the boy I was dating he would not give me a pass out to go to the pub up the road, I would have to pay again to come in!! He often gave me a lift home in that classic sports car of his. Occasionally I got a lift from Jim who had a motorbike. He lived opposite me on Chestnut Grove (Fern Gore estate) .. Cliff smoked those weird perfumed cigarettes, cant remember what they were called?? He went on to develop emphysema and they moved to Devon. I received Christmas cards from Elena for years. Cliff died not long after they moved. I last saw Elena in 2004,she was then a very old lady and her eyesight was failing. I would love to know what has happened to her.
Cliff used to give me money every week to buy the Top 10 ,heaven!! He also gave them back to me when they fell out of favour. I wish I had kept them. I would be interested to hear other memories. I moved to Blackpool in 1980 and now spend a lot of time in Spain. I often spend New years Eve at the Poplar Club with old friends and its like coming home. I met Lennie there two years ago after not seeing him since I was 19!! I thought he had worn well!

Check 60s groups thread feather, will iterest you

Feather 04-09-2010 19:11

Thanks Jaysay. I have just realised how much stuff there is on here!! It will take me years to go through it!!