Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Why dont they teach proper? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/why-dont-they-teach-proper-19200.html)

shakermaker 31-01-2006 15:04

Re: Why dont they teach proper?

I agree with you lettie but I had to put in the hard work out of class time....the appropriate guidance was simply not given in class. My point is that this should not happen. Yes students should work hard but shouldnt have to resort to creating their own syllabus.

lettie 31-01-2006 15:10

I agree that guidance should be given, but even at University that guidance is minimal (and I'm paying for mine). I work full time and do at least 15 hours a week study for my degree in my own time and at my own expense.....

Bloody Nora!!! That makes me sound like a bit of a mug doesn't it...:rolleyes: :D

grannyclaret 31-01-2006 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettie
I agree that guidance should be given, but even at University that guidance is minimal (and I'm paying for mine). I work full time and do at least 15 hours a week study for my degree in my own time and at my own expense.....

Bloody Nora!!! That makes me sound like a bit of a mug doesn't it...:rolleyes: :D

no it makes you sound like you are are one of the few people that doesnt think the world owes them a living....hold your head up high ...GO FOR IT GIRL,http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/...ggrindaisy.gifhope you pass with flying colours

godfrey 09-02-2006 15:49

Mel stated her problem and I think everyone of us in this caring web-community is eager to give her kind support even if is sometimes unpalitable. Remember love is expressed in many ways.

Many here have indicated by their own experience in life that hard work is the only way to go. There is only so much parental feeding that can take place - in the end you have to learn to feed yourself. The fledgling in the nest has to learn to fly - in the end the parent birds abandons it as the only way to encourage it to fly.

Strong emotions can be a great motivation to action and a change in beliefs. Shame (in your case by a 6-year old) could be the motivation you need. It gives a shock to your system that says WAKE UP.

On many occassions I have been overcome by something that has been said to me, often but not always by a stranger, that has challenged some of my most basic beliefs. They weren't aware that what they said was so profound. But it is a wake-up call and can lead to a growth in personality if you are ready to take up the challenge to change.

The prevalent youth reaction these days is "whatever" meaning "I cannot face that", "I am not interested". The challenge to take part in the world is dismissed as irrelevant. Everything in this world is relevant because this world, if you belief in fate, is organised for your benefit whether it be good or bad. All the doors are waiting to be opened by you and you should be running through them shouting "wow, isn't this fantastic, I never knew this existed, I never knew I could do this, I never thought I could survive that".

entwisi 10-02-2006 07:47

Well said mate

Debbie J 10-02-2006 09:12

I too left school with virtually nothing to show for my hard work. At the age of 24 I decided to go to college where I managed to get GCSE maths & english, A level equivalent psychology sociology and principles of care. I also got a certificate for interpersonal skills. All this was done in 9 months and I had two young children to look after and a house to run with no support from anyone. Up until then I had been treated as thick & stupid so if I can do it anyone can.
As others have said stick with it Mel & do your best, if you don't get the help you need now go to college later.

andrewb 10-02-2006 10:43

You should get a choice of what subjects you want to do (Science/English/Maths mandatory) but the rest, you should get a choice.
For the first 3 years you do every subject possible (well at mount carmel we did anyway :p) then in year 10 when you start gcse's you got to choose two to carry on out of music/geography/history/ict/drama/art perhaps there were more I can't remember.

Anyways, I took Geography and ICT.. Okay I got an A in ICT but I didnt really *learn* anything, because in my circumstance I already knew things I just had to produce a load of coursework and pass the exam. I took geography as the lesser of the evils, I didn't like the subject and only managed a C because I didn't care about it one bit.

RE/French/(Electronics/Design tech) were madatory, and I don't personaly class them as important providing you don't plan to do anything where they could be needed. I didn't find French/RE interesting at all, and hence I spent 5 years 'learning' and managed to get hardly anything out of it (French: D, RE: E). I was predicted A's, but I simply didn't find the subject interesting so never had any passion to do well, and hence it really was a waste of time, I could have spent all that lesson time learning some form of advanced science, or getting an A in maths rather than B, so then i'd be better prepared for my Alevel maths.

I'm hopeless at English of course (as you will have noticed) but at least I found it interesting and managed to get a B out of it even though im shocking at structuring an essay/spelling/punctuation, I managed to get a B because I worked hard on my coursework and ensured I knew the books/poems inside out when I went in to the exam.

Anyways, thats my opinion, people should get more choice so they don't have to learn subjects that might not be of any use to them in future..

Phylum 10-02-2006 15:55

At 17, my parents were already dead. I was married to a thug at 16, baby at 15. Broken jaw on 21st. Deserted at 23 -Yay!. Another baby at 29. Woke up at 31. Five 'A' Levels by 33. Degree at 36.

ANYBODY CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

SPUGGIE J 10-02-2006 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phylum
At 17, my parents were already dead. I was married to a thug at 16, baby at 15. Broken jaw on 21st. Deserted at 23 -Yay!. Another baby at 29. Woke up at 31. Five 'A' Levels by 33. Degree at 36.

ANYBODY CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Thats some going.

Phylum 10-02-2006 16:08

Well, spose. And all in the rough ol' east end of London.

SPUGGIE J 10-02-2006 16:11

Quote:

Well, spose. And all in the rough ol' east end of London.

Well maybe others could do it in more sedate locations.

Phylum 10-02-2006 16:14

Anbody CAN! Anywhere. Just takes a little self belief and a large portion of guts, cos' it is scary.

Debbie J 10-02-2006 17:13

Quote:

Anbody CAN! Anywhere. Just takes a little self belief and a large portion of guts, cos' it is scary.

Well done YOU.
Like me I bet it sent your self confidence soaring.

Phylum 10-02-2006 19:36

Still coming down...lol