Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   10 year old drowns (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/10-year-old-drowns-33675.html)

shillelagh 22-09-2007 20:37

Re: 10 year old drowns

I've been the one people have looked after when i've had a fit in the street or shop or standing at the bus stop etc. Im just grateful someone has looked after me. I wouldnt think of suing someone because they gave me first aid because i know possibly they are saving my life. I trained as a first aider because of my mum - she fell a lot and had strokes and i wanted to know if something happened then i could look after her until the ambulance got here. I did a course that lasted two afternoons and ran by the red cross.

grannyclaret 22-09-2007 21:03

Does anybody remember Esther Ranson,s "JOBSWORTH " in Thats Life....?
I dont think this situation would have gone down very well.......

SPUGGIE J 22-09-2007 21:07

Blimey GC that is going back a tad aint it!

steeljack 22-09-2007 21:33

after reading this thread a seeing that a lot of people may have a fear of 'getting involved' because they may end-up getting sued in the courts . I was surprised to find that the UK did not have a 'Good Samaritan Law" on the books to give immunity to anyone providing emergency aid.
that being said , its become a sad state of affairs when laws such as these have to be passed to protect people .
Good Samaritan law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:confused: :confused:

jimmi5bellies 22-09-2007 23:30

Absolute tradgedy. When i saw it on the news it just brought back memories of a college tutor / retained firefighter i knew who died rescuing a kid in a pond in Bury.

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | 'Failures' caused fireman's death

Sadly missed.

WillowTheWhisp 23-09-2007 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 473291)
after reading this thread a seeing that a lot of people may have a fear of 'getting involved' because they may end-up getting sued in the courts . I was surprised to find that the UK did not have a 'Good Samaritan Law" on the books to give immunity to anyone providing emergency aid.
that being said , its become a sad state of affairs when laws such as these have to be passed to protect people .
Good Samaritan law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:confused: :confused:

We could do with laws here to protect people who try to help others. It all seems back to front here, like so many things.

SPUGGIE J 23-09-2007 17:07

Wonder if we are heading in the direction of the 3rd world here?

thindle 23-09-2007 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 472782)
As an adult I would not be able to save anyones life if they are drowning. I can't swim. Are we to assume these PCSO's can swim. Is it part of the qualifications ? ( I haven't a clue so it is a serious question )

I am suprised at their absence from the inquest but given the feeling of the parents towards them maybe thats the reason ?

What was that saying if you couldnt' swim? Or it was dangerous. Or the person was bigger or as big as you. DON'T go in to get them. You should.......
'' Reach, Throw (something else ? ) or Row ''. Seemingly the anglers did that with their rods. Pity they didn't see the boy. He was the Hero . but sadly a dead one.:sad8:

Ber999T 23-09-2007 17:53

Firstly may I say I too saw the telly reports and first thoughts were "OMG why not act" BUT then it was reported "no sign of boy on arrival" so that then rules out entry to water as Firefighter has stated and the rules why.

SteeleJack UK does have the Good Smariatin (sp) act and to put it as simple as I can (and I think I posted about it in the Dr thread) "providing the person does not go beyond their level of skill, training or equipment then it MAY be deamed an ACT OF A GOOD SMARIATIN" that is a simple as I can understand it but will glady be corrected or have that confirmed.

The first thing you are taught in basic !st Aid IS DrABC

D = DANGER to ME, my collegues, any others or the casulity

or in otherwords if you feel it is NOT safe STOP!!!!!! Do not become another casulity

Tealeaf 25-09-2007 11:33

Well, today's news is that Greater Manchester Police are now withdrawing pedal bikes from their PSCO's because after the tragic death of one of their number on a bike, it has been decided that health and safety issues warrant their withdrawal because the risk is to high.

WillowTheWhisp 25-09-2007 11:56

If we do have a Good Samaritan act it can't be like the other countries if people here are getting sued for helping as others earlier in this thread have stated. If you are an ordinary citizen then you don't have any special skill, training or equipment - just a desire to help.