Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Council Overspend (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/council-overspend-40433.html)

accyman 18-06-2008 18:38

Re: Council Overspend

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 594541)
Hats off to them.

They did incredibly well to keep this shocker underwraps until after the recent elections.

and it will be long forgot by the time the next elections come around:rolleyes:

Gayle 18-06-2008 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 594537)

All I can say is what would the overspend be if we had voted for Labour and had an unfunded 3% tax cut in addition!

Talk about being blinkered!

Who's to say whether Labour would have done better or worse at budget management? Very few of the current Labour councillors were on the council seven years ago when they last had control so the current lot really haven't had the opportunity to show what they would or could do to manage the budgets.

Lilly 18-06-2008 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 594713)
Talk about being blinkered!

Who's to say whether Labour would have done better or worse at budget management? Very few of the current Labour councillors were on the council seven years ago when they last had control so the current lot really haven't had the opportunity to show what they would or could do to manage the budgets.

It's always the same isn't it?

It's like people harking back to Margaret Thatcher whenever they talk about the Conservative party.....as if she's got anything to do with the Conservatives' policies today. :confused:

cashman 18-06-2008 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 594537)
I've been rather busy in Haltemprice and Howden so not been keeping up to date with whats going on.

All I can say is what would the overspend be if we had voted for Labour and had an unfunded 3% tax cut in addition!

thats all you can say, cos you can't defend it.:rolleyes:

Gayle 18-06-2008 21:25

It doesn't help Labour's case though that they didn't submit a budget this year so they don't really have much of an argument.

Usually, they submit an alternative budget, that way when there is an overspend, they can point to their own and say 'well we would have spent the money this way'!

cashman 18-06-2008 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 594722)
It doesn't help Labour's case though that they didn't submit a budget this year so they don't really have much of an argument.

Usually, they submit an alternative budget, that way when there is an overspend, they can point to their own and say 'well we would have spent the money this way'!

wether they did or not is irrelavant, cos they aint made a balls of it.;)

Neil 18-06-2008 21:32

Seeing as the Council are in a mess money wise does this mean that all employees will have there wages frozen like what would happen in the real world?

I know I did not get a pay rise for 3 years at a company I worked for because they were not profitable at that time.

cashman 18-06-2008 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 594730)
Seeing as the Council are in a mess money wise does this mean that all employees will have there wages frozen like what would happen in the real world?

I know I did not get a pay rise for 3 years at a company I worked for because they were not profitable at that time.

yeh neil but yer n oik you aint important.;):rolleyes:

Neil 18-06-2008 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 594733)
yeh neil but yer n oik you aint important.;):rolleyes:

Yes I was at the bottom of the food chain but no one in the company had a rise.

Lilly 18-06-2008 21:38

As usual you have Peter Britcliffe saying one thing and Greg Pope and Graham Jones saying the opposite.....no wonder a lot of people don't know who to believe when they read the papers.

If Peter Britcliffe said Ewood Park was in Blackburn, Greg Pope and Graham Jones would say it wasn't. :rolleyes:

Peter Britcliffe says that the situation is due to government money being axed from this area meaning that we are over budget and local projects that had been allocated funding will have to wait. The fault lies with the government.

Greg Pope says there was never any such government money and that this is all Hyndburn Conservatives' fault as they are guilty of budget mis--management.

As has been said, would HBC have been declared an excellent council if they were guilty of overspending our money? :confused:

lancsdave 18-06-2008 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 594743)
If Peter Britcliffe said Ewood Park was in Blackburn, Greg Pope and Graham Jones would say it wasn't. :rolleyes:

I think you would find Greg agreeing with PB on that one

Lilly 18-06-2008 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 594745)
I think you would find Greg agreeing with PB on that one

I daren't be sure. :rolleyes:

Gayle 18-06-2008 21:42

Quote:

As has been said, would HBC have been declared an excellent council if they were guilty of overspending our money? :confused:

Well they were classed as an 'excellent' council last year - if there is any budget mismanagement it has happened this financial year, so the two things aren't connected.

cashman 18-06-2008 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 594749)
I daren't be sure. :rolleyes:

well as both are rovers fans, (to best of my knowledge) ya would be wrong lilly.:D

Royboy39 18-06-2008 21:46

Quote:

As usual you have Peter Britcliffe saying one thing and Greg Pope and Graham Jones saying the opposite.....no wonder a lot of people don't know who to believe when they read the papers.

Peter Britcliffe says that the situation is due to government money being axed from this area meaning that we are over budget and local projects that had been allocated funding will have to wait. The fault lies with the government.

Greg Pope says there was never any such government money and that this is all Hyndburn Conservatives' fault as they are guilty of budget mis--management.

I agree, a little knowledge coupled with complete conjecture and the right to know, baffes the brains of the one's who know now't but pretend they do.