Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

davemac 03-04-2014 22:25

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1101122)
An unexpected trip to a village museum this morning. I went to market in nearby Paderno Ponchielli and found this place by chance. They have a lovely collection housed in the Maestro's original home and the local man who was guide and is the curator of the collection was very knowlegable. The man in question was Amilcare Ponchielli a composer and pianist whose name was added to his village's name on the centenary of his death. The theatre in Cremona also carries his name. He was a child genius who was discovered by a local noble when he played the organ in the village church -his father had taught him all he knew and age 10 he was sent to the Conservatory in Milan. Later in his life he would become Puccini's tutor. His most famous opera is La Gioconda - photos show his first piano (bought second hand), he is the photo on the left (when the guide is present), next to Puccini. Other material relates to his works, costumes which were designed for his operas and there is a photo of his wife Teresa Brambilla in costume , she was a well-known soprano. he died aged 51 of pneumonia in 1886 -his wife out-lived him by many years and died in 1921! Last photo shows the commenmorative stamps produced in 1986 to mark his centenary. Amilcare Ponchielli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following piece should be recogniseable as it was used by Walt Disney in Fantasia!

Amilcare Ponchielli - Dance of the Hours - YouTube

That is an interesting experience, you may just have started a trend, I played the music and looked at your photos, and I was right there, very nice.

davemac 03-04-2014 22:29

10 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, Spring Wood as the ground wakes up, and starts to show off. In a few weeks time this area will be covered in Bluebells, Garlic, and Wood Anemones.

Turtle 03-04-2014 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1101122)
An unexpected trip to a village museum this morning. I went to market in nearby Paderno Ponchielli and found this place by chance. They have a lovely collection housed in the Maestro's original home and the local man who was guide and is the curator of the collection was very knowlegable. The man in question was Amilcare Ponchielli a composer and pianist whose name was added to his village's name on the centenary of his death. The theatre in Cremona also carries his name. He was a child genius who was discovered by a local noble when he played the organ in the village church -his father had taught him all he knew and age 10 he was sent to the Conservatory in Milan. Later in his life he would become Puccini's tutor. His most famous opera is La Gioconda - photos show his first piano (bought second hand), he is the photo on the left (when the guide is present), next to Puccini. Other material relates to his works, costumes which were designed for his operas and there is a photo of his wife Teresa Brambilla in costume , she was a well-known soprano. he died aged 51 of pneumonia in 1886 -his wife out-lived him by many years and died in 1921! Last photo shows the commenmorative stamps produced in 1986 to mark his centenary. Amilcare Ponchielli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following piece should be recogniseable as it was used by Walt Disney in Fantasia!

Amilcare Ponchielli - Dance of the Hours - YouTube

Thank you Diane. That was a real treat!

Turtle 03-04-2014 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1101169)
Today in Pictures, Spring Wood as the ground wakes up, and starts to show off. In a few weeks time this area will be covered in Bluebells, Garlic, and Wood Anemones.

Ah, the first bluebells in flower. Lovely!

davemac 03-04-2014 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1101173)
Ah, the first bluebells in flower. Lovely!

I did find a few early flowers, but they are a bit sparse at the moment

mobertol 04-04-2014 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1101169)

I am a sucker for a bluebell - that is such a beautiful photo!

I hope they last a while then maybe we could go to see some together Dave. I've just booked to come over on April 25th - will PM you :)

mobertol 04-04-2014 14:17

10 Attachment(s)
A mixed selection - the first three are of a rather kitch looking house front in the village I visited yesterday (just round the corner from the musem). A local hunting fanatic and his son created this all by hand -the wood carving and hunting scenes are exquisite seen close up. Have left the 1st pic on high resolution so you can zoom in and see! The next 7 are from a very windy walk into Castelverde this morning while I waited for the tyres changing on the car. The chap in the allotment was very chatty and he has a great scarecrow with a sunflower head which you can just about see. He was planting out his courgettes and told me about the lilac, which is the sad remainder of a devastated plant which was lovely this time last year and covered about 20 feet of railings. Council work on paving has damaged the roots :( You can now see the junk beyond the railings which used to be hidden by the lilac. Some nice blossom and spring greenery along the cycle path and a few humble daisies among the remains of last years dead leaves and this years catkins which were being blown down in the high winds. The shoot I have photographed in number 7 is wild hops. I picked a nice bunch of these the other day and made risotto using them. They are known here as poor-man's asparagus and everyone goes out picking them at this time of year, they are also nice in an omelette.

davemac 04-04-2014 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1101229)
I am a sucker for a bluebell - that is such a beautiful photo!

I hope they last a while then maybe we could go to see some together Dave. I've just booked to come over on April 25th - will PM you :)

That's good news, I hope the weather stays good for your visit, will wait for the PM.

davemac 04-04-2014 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1101234)
A mixed selection - the first three are of a rather kitch looking house front in the village I visited yesterday (just round the corner from the musem). A local hunting fanatic and his son created this all by hand -the wood carving and hunting scenes are exquisite seen close up. Have left the 1st pic on high resolution so you can zoom in and see! The next 7 are from a very windy walk into Castelverde this morning while I waited for the tyres changing on the car. The chap in the allotment was very chatty and he has a great scarecrow with a sunflower head which you can just about see. He was planting out his courgettes and told me about the lilac, which is the sad remainder of a devastated plant which was lovely this time last year and covered about 20 feet of railings. Council work on paving has damaged the roots :( You can now see the junk beyond the railings which used to be hidden by the lilac. Some nice blossom and spring greenery along the cycle path and a few humble daisies among the remains of last years dead leaves and this years catkins which were being blown down in the high winds. The shoot I have photographed in number 7 is wild hops. I picked a nice bunch of these the other day and made risotto using them. They are known here as poor-man's asparagus and everyone goes out picking them at this time of year, they are also nice in an omelette.

Those carvings are a marvel to look at, and with the mock chimney it looks like a hunting lodge, was this the intent. the brick wall with the overhang of cherries is a good contrast.

davemac 04-04-2014 21:35

5 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, too many things to do today to get immersed in to the world of photography, so just a few on my knees. (Mercer Park)

Eric 04-04-2014 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1101293)
Today in Pictures, too many things to do today to get immersed in to the world of photography, so just a few on my knees. (Mercer Park)

Mercer park ... the memories:D Best conkers on the planet came from that big old tree by the tennis courts.:alright:

gpick24 04-04-2014 22:41

7 Attachment(s)
Just for a change, we went along the canal.

davemac 04-04-2014 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1101300)
Just for a change, we went along the canal.

Your skies are impressive in a few today.

Turtle 05-04-2014 00:15

Wonderful photos from today mobertol, davemac and gpick. Thank you!

gpick24 05-04-2014 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1101303)
Your skies are impressive in a few today.

They were a bit bland to start with, livened them up a bit with a few adjustments.