Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Death of tradition. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/death-of-tradition-28839.html)

steeljack 19-03-2008 19:22

Re: Death of tradition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosh (Post 548501)
can eny one remember men only in the games room of working mens clubs

seem to remember we had a bit of a debate a while back on another thread as to wether the 'games- room' should be called the tap-room or the vault , or if there was a difference
Cashy, will probably be able to put you straight :D

cashman 19-03-2008 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 548538)
seem to remember we had a bit of a debate a while back on another thread as to wether the 'games- room' should be called the tap-room or the vault , or if there was a difference
Cashy, will probably be able to put you straight :D

seemed to depend where in town? my pubs was always called the vault, yet go fer a crawl around differant watering holes some places called it the Tap Room, think it was probably a "generation" thing? WMCs though were differant places as i could tell, not being laid out like pubs, they tended to say "Games room" or "Snooker Room" as an aside to this it dawned on me today that if pubs were laid out as then,with differant rooms instead of being open plan as most have been converted to. the " No Smoking" ban could be got around by desingnating a smoking room, with extractors etc, and landlords would have a much improved chance of staying solvent.;)

MargaretR 19-03-2008 21:38

Even smoking rooms are illegal - except in hotels- for residents use only

steeljack 19-03-2008 21:49

I were thinking that women were never usually allowed into the WMCs, only on special event nights in the concert room

cashman 19-03-2008 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 548675)
I were thinking that women were never usually allowed into the WMCs, only on special event nights in the concert room

nor where they allowed in vaults.;)

steeljack 20-03-2008 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 548721)
nor where they allowed in vaults.;)

kind of odd when you think about , since in both places (pubs and clubs) women were present behind the bar pulling pints , either the stewards wife or landlady ....
.....but then again it was a different time and 'crude' language wasn't acceptable as much as it is these days , suppose logic proves that the decline in language standards came about with letting women into these places on their own and allowing them to sup pints :eek: :eek:

BERNADETTE 20-03-2008 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 548675)

Still stands at Rishton Working Mens Club. The ironic thing to me is that women are allowed to work behind the bar but not allowed to drink in the club!!!

MargaretR 20-03-2008 08:46

About 10 years ago, I was on the committee of a working mens club for about 2 or 3 years.

That was after the discrimination against women became unlawful.

jaysay 20-03-2008 10:18

When I started drinking at 17 sorry 18 my watering hole was the Heys Inn Ossy and we must have been posh we had a Vault and Tap Room and a Select, te Vault was like a kidney shape rather small, but they used to cram about 12 in it every night if not more, them were the good old days, before the breweries thought it was better to knock walls down and take away the charactor, a big big mistake in my book:(

beechy 20-03-2008 11:36

in the early eighties i was steward of the
poplar club accy and females could not drink in the
games room but had to walk through the games room
to get to the lounge .. great planning :thankya:

beechy 20-03-2008 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 548856)
in the early eighties i was steward of the
poplar club accy and females could not drink in the
games room but had to walk through the games room
to get to the lounge .. great planning :thankya:

sorry on further recall it was the seventies not the eighties :hidewall:

MargaretR 20-03-2008 11:56

...doesn't time fly when you're having fun :D

Benipete 20-03-2008 12:06

When women were first allowed in Springhill Club,on the back of their cards was printed-No Women or Dogs allowed at the Bar.They,the women had to get a male member to go to the bar for them.This did not last long(wonder why)

cashman 20-03-2008 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 548886)
When women were first allowed in Springhill Club,on the back of their cards was printed-No Women or Dogs allowed at the Bar.They,the women had to get a male member to go to the bar for them.This did not last long(wonder why)

if they would have had a "Blanket Ban" on women entering Pubs n Clubs, i would probably be one rich dude now.:rofl38::rofl38::drink:

jaysay 21-03-2008 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 549190)
if they would have had a "Blanket Ban" on women entering Pubs n Clubs, i would probably be one rich dude now.:rofl38::rofl38::drink:

Amen to that cashy and I be an alchoholic as well:bar::thepint::s_splash::s_splash: