Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f87/)
-   -   One Down, Four More to Go (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f87/one-down-four-more-to-go-54360.html)

Barrie Yates 09-08-2010 13:21

Re: One Down, Four More to Go

[quote=jaysay;835317]Was that Goal Keeper David Johnston by any chance Barrie[/quote

Sorry Jay but no, never heard of David Johnston.

jaysay 09-08-2010 17:44

[quote=Barrie Yates;835379]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 835317)
Was that Goal Keeper David Johnston by any chance Barrie[/quote

Sorry Jay but no, never heard of David Johnston.

David Johnston was born in Ossy stood 6' 8" tall and played for Blackpool, in the 70s

Barrie Yates 09-08-2010 21:03

[quote=jaysay;835413]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 835379)
David Johnston was born in Ossy stood 6' 8" tall and played for Blackpool, in the 70s

20 years or so before that Jay.
Anyway Wyn, IMHO, I am allowed freedom of choice, be it religion, politics, the teams of whatever sport I wish to support, where I live/work, whatever I do within the laws of that particular country, a freedom of choice that i have given almost a quarter of my life attempting to guarantee for myself and many people of "foreign nations".
No bitterness towards AS, just sadness, particularly that after all your efforts you can still only get 2,000 or so spectators to a home game - I suggest youi look for another challenge, you have obvbiously failed inyour attempts to increase the gate to a viable commercial number.
You have your freedom to choose Wyn without criticism from me - allow me the same courtesy.

Wynonie Harris 09-08-2010 21:43

[quote=Barrie Yates;835470]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 835413)

20 years or so before that Jay.
Anyway Wyn, IMHO, I am allowed freedom of choice, be it religion, politics, the teams of whatever sport I wish to support, where I live/work, whatever I do within the laws of that particular country, a freedom of choice that i have given almost a quarter of my life attempting to guarantee for myself and many people of "foreign nations".
No bitterness towards AS, just sadness, particularly that after all your efforts you can still only get 2,000 or so spectators to a home game - I suggest youi look for another challenge, you have obvbiously failed inyour attempts to increase the gate to a viable commercial number.
You have your freedom to choose Wyn without criticism from me - allow me the same courtesy.

The fact remains that Stanley's support is so low exactly because of people like you - people with no regard and no loyalty towards their home town football team. People who choose a football club to support in a town with which they have no connection simply because they're more successful than their hometown club. As for "looking for a new challenge"
I don't regard it as a challenge, I regard it as a privilege to support my home town football league club, even if the majority of Accringtonians adopt your uncaring, indifferent attitude.

As for not criticising your choice, I've got every right to criticize your choice just as you've got every right to criticize mine - that's what democracy's all about, isn't it?

I'll tell you something, Barrie, when the club had reached their lowest ebb around 1965, I was still there on the crumbling terraces of Peel Park, along with around 50 others and I would've carried on even if I'd been the only one. I've left instructions with my missus to have my ashes scattered on the Clayton End (just as my old fella's are on Peel Park) because it's in my blood. So I'm not going anywhere looking for new challenges, I'm here till the death, literally, and I'm on your's and every other stayaway's case in the meantime!

Tealeaf 09-08-2010 21:55

One suspects that Mancie is more than adverse to the concept of local loyalty because his team is, of course, Millwall which a) started off north of the river b) is supported by no more than a collection of fourth-rate wannabe hoodlums, c) followed by trendy yuppy faggots and finally d) has won nowt, will win nowt and has been nowhere and will go nowhere.

jaysay 10-08-2010 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 835478)
One suspects that Mancie is more than adverse to the concept of local loyalty because his team is, of course, Millwall which a) started off north of the river b) is supported by no more than a collection of fourth-rate wannabe hoodlums, c) followed by trendy yuppy faggots and finally d) has won nowt, will win nowt and has been nowhere and will go nowhere.

Thats why he supports United:cool:

Mancie 19-08-2010 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 835237)

Mancie, I've been to Old Trafford once a few seasons ago and I do not know how you, as a man of the people, can stomach it. It reeks of smug, self-satisfied, corporate capitalism - a place where all the traditional values of football have been cast aside in the pursuit of mamon.

Ah yes .the story of the man that ventured to the hate capitol of Old Trafford.. did you go there in the 70's when it was all non ticket and you could only buy the match programme inside the ground?.. in them days the match programme had a token to collect for any cup games.. the only dream was to get within a few points of Liverpool and stop off for a pint in Hassy.. in short the same sort of support you have in Accy Stanley.. no more no less.

Wynonie Harris 19-08-2010 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 838175)
Ah yes .the story of the man that ventured to the hate capitol of Old Trafford.. did you go there in the 70's when it was all non ticket and you could only buy the match programme inside the ground?.. in them days the match programme had a token to collect for any cup games.. the only dream was to get within a few points of Liverpool and stop off for a pint in Hassy.. in short the same sort of support you have in Accy Stanley.. no more no less.

No, I went about four or five seasons ago, Mancie, and the scenario you describe has been left far behind, replaced by an artificial, sanitised atmosphere. A rootless sort of place, a temple to the ethos of football as a corporate product, rather than the game of the people. In fact, the sort of place I thought you'd despise. Still, perhaps you do and dreams of the 70's are all you've got left.

jaysay 19-08-2010 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 838187)
No, I went about four or five seasons ago, Mancie, and the scenario you describe has been left far behind, replaced by an artificial, sanitised atmosphere. A rootless sort of place, a temple to the ethos of football as a corporate product, rather than the game of the people. In fact, the sort of place I thought you'd despise. Still, perhaps you do and dreams of the 70's are all you've got left.

As I've said in another post Wyn when it comes to football Mancie becomes the worst sort of money grabbing capitalist, nothing is to good for this Southern living Blackburn Born, United hanger on;)