Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2006, 15:56   #31
land of hope and glory

Re: Whale in london?!

what they doing with its remains ? i mean while its still fresh there is a lot of soup, oil,loads of candles,the tons of steaks.........etc.the soup wagons down london will be dishing it up for weeks
its just not blubber is it?...............na cant be gotta be some meat in there somewhere.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2006, 18:25   #32
God Member

it has been stated that they believe it died due to the weight of it's body crushing it's organs, so it sounds like the rescue attempt may have actually led to it's demise

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 21:12   #33
Resident Waffler

The poor thing should have been left to die in peace. Sometimes people interfere with nature when they really don't understand what is happening and why and they just make matters worse. I realise people probably had the best of intentions but instead of being able to die quietly and peacefully this poor creature was tormented and suffered needlessly in its final hours.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 22:24   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The poor thing should have been left to die in peace. Sometimes people interfere with nature when they really don't understand what is happening and why and they just make matters worse. I realise people probably had the best of intentions but instead of being able to die quietly and peacefully this poor creature was tormented and suffered needlessly in its final hours.
hitting the nail on the head springs to mind.
Old 22-01-2006, 23:36   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I tell you now, it wasn't really granny claret!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...8&postcount=28
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 07:33   #36
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
One of the 'experts' did say that any whale found in our rivers belongs to the Queen

Maybe they should send her the bill then?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 16:34   #37
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
I tell you now, it wasn't really granny claret!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...8&postcount=28

no less i am still here
its sad though....
Old 24-01-2006, 14:09   #38
God Member

We know that this whale was very sick before it died and possibly when it swam up river; if so, I wonder if it vomited? I bet it did. I am very tempted to go and have a wonder along the local foreshore this evening and see what I can find. If it's any of this stuff (link below) then I could well be rich.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4642722.stm
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:50   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Not quite sure I agree with you all on this one. I'm sure that the vets, experts, etc., assessed the situation and decided that this whale had a ?% chance of survival; and any chance is better than no chance. They didn't know the extent of its injuries and,yes, did become a public spectacle (not that the whale would care much). Also sure politics came into this judgement too, and cost of public money would have been considered. If they had not done anything, would you not being asking 'Why not ?'
One would hope that a Human Being would have been given this hope.
Can't say for sure, but feel that it was ensured that this creature's last journey was pain free. Hope so anyway.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 14:37   #40
I am Banned

On MSN Today it says the whale died of dehydration. Ah well. I knew they should of left it in the water.

http://www.msn.co.uk/htx/londonwhale/Default.asp

Last edited by thomas_045; 25-01-2006 at 14:39.
thomas_045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 14:51   #41
Give, give, give member

Any death is sad, but when it happens all over the world thousands of times a day, one hundred thousand pounds does seem a lot to spend on a poor creature that may have been dieing anyway.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 16:23   #42
God Member

They should have shot it as soon as it was beached and sold the body to Billingsgate Fish Market. There are about 50,000 Japanese living in London & they would have paid top whack prices for a slice of Whale belly.

Instead we had a weekend of sanctimonious, sentimental drivel which took over the entire news channels. Not only that, but every liberal, animal-loving, save-the-whale loonatic (with their family of ill-beheaved brats) from south-east England decided to decend on my local riverside hostelry on saturday afternoon.
Their purpose? To yell and shout at this comatose fish. Would you go to hospital and do the same to a dying relative? No! But who can understand the logic of these madmen? I do know that my quiet drinks were ruined by this mob.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 25-01-2006 at 16:45.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 17:14   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
They should have shot it as soon as it was beached and sold the body to Billingsgate Fish Market. There are about 50,000 Japanese living in London & they would have paid top whack prices for a slice of Whale belly.

Instead we had a weekend of sanctimonious, sentimental drivel which took over the entire news channels. Not only that, but every liberal, animal-loving, save-the-whale loonatic (with their family of ill-beheaved brats) from south-east England decided to decend on my local riverside hostelry on saturday afternoon.
Their purpose? To yell and shout at this comatose fish. Would you go to hospital and do the same to a dying relative? No! But who can understand the logic of these madmen? I do know that my quiet drinks were ruined by this mob.
they would have paid top whack prices but then again so would the people eating it!
It was a weekend of a small piece of history, i mean come on a whale in the thames!! id love to have been there, probably wont happen again in my lifetime.
we dont yell and shout at our relatives when there dying but half of the time the familiy will do anything to keep the poor person alive! when they do pop their clogs the person whos loved one it is screams and crys im not being heartless but its true! id probably do the same?
Now that theres no whale this weekend i suppose you get your chance of your quiet drink after all!!
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 17:49   #44
God Member

Is this the one you saw Tealeaf?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg rude018.jpeg (11.2 KB, 10 views)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..