Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By landhusweg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2024, 11:07   #1
Senior Member+

Swimming in reservoirs?

Anybody remember swimming in lodges or reservoirs around the area in the 70's? I know in recent times children have died trying to swim in outdoor areas of water. But I recall one hot summer possibly 1974? about 100 (rough estimate) kids walked from town to the reservoir below Hambledon hill and swam in the reservoir and sunbathed, no one got into difficulty or drowned - perhaps we were stronger children then? We also used to swim in the coppice lodges and the quarry on the other side.

Last edited by kestrelx; 26-07-2024 at 11:10.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2024, 08:18   #2

Re: Swimming in reservoirs?

Hi Kestrelx,
I and many others used to go swimming in “Mitchels” reservoir in the early fifties, not sure of the name any more.
One game we used to play was holding a heavy brick and jumping in to see how far you could go down in the water.
Happy memories
Cheers
kestrelx likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 08:30   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Swimming in reservoirs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi Kestrelx,
I and many others used to go swimming in “Mitchels” reservoir in the early fifties, not sure of the name any more.
One game we used to play was holding a heavy brick and jumping in to see how far you could go down in the water.
Happy memories
Cheers
Hi Landusweg,
It's still called Mitchell's there are 2 reservoirs next to each other. The one I mention is on itself below Hambledon.

A lot of people used to use large blocks of polystyrene in the 70's to swim on, problem is they eventually broke into bits so not very good for the environment.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..