Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2008, 21:04   #1
Junior Member+

How do you go about getting milk delivered?

hey everyone, moving into our new house on Avenue Parade, Accrington, in about a month and would like to get milk delivered from a local farmer. my parents have it Clayton and how convenient? also, quite wanting to support local farms.
so how do you go about it in a new area? I don't even know of any farms.... do anyone know? thanks x
Old 24-08-2008, 21:08   #2

Re: How do you go about getting milk delivered?

Guess you just get out of your pit early and ask the local milkman what’s what
Old 24-08-2008, 21:16   #3
God Member

does milk still actually come from local farms anymore?
Old 24-08-2008, 21:24   #4
God Member

What about the phone book? Surely some farms must be advertised in there, especially the ones that do things like milk and butter. I don't have a phone book to hand but you could always check the yellow pages online?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 21:30   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

You have local farmers delivering their own milk in Accrington? I live in rural Cheshire and the only dairy farmer I know who sells his own milk is a chap 12 miles away who has a Jersey herd. The 3 local farms, in our village, sell theirs to a large dairy; one delivers milk but it's sourced from the dairy.

It's a far cry from the days when my mother used to leave a jug with a saucer on top on the front doorstep. Our local farmer, Bill Whalley, came round, twice a day, in his horse-drawn float and filled the jug with milk he had prepared on his farm and carried in big churns. Incidentally, the farm was just a little further up Blackburn Rd. (towards Intack) than the big West End Co-op Dairy.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
does milk still actually come from local farms anymore?
Seems a bit of a "long shot"
Old 24-08-2008, 21:36   #7

We still have a milkman that comes down our road every day. I've seen him up daisyfield as well. He comes from Rishton. I don't know the farms name, just know the milkman (who incidently owns the farm). If you want I'll ask him how far he delivers too.

It's nice to see the milk bottles, washed out and clean ready for his collection in the mornings when he leaves the fresh milk/

Sorry, I live in Blackburn
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 21:41   #8
I am Banned

I think it is called Wolfenden Farm
Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
You have local farmers delivering their own milk in Accrington? I live in rural Cheshire and the only dairy farmer I know who sells his own milk is a chap 12 miles away who has a Jersey herd. The 3 local farms, in our village, sell theirs to a large dairy; one delivers milk but it's sourced from the dairy.

It's a far cry from the days when my mother used to leave a jug with a saucer on top on the front doorstep. Our local farmer, Bill Whalley, came round, twice a day, in his horse-drawn float and filled the jug with milk he had prepared on his farm and carried in big churns. Incidentally, the farm was just a little further up Blackburn Rd. (towards Intack) than the big West End Co-op Dairy.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 21:48   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I think it is called Wolfenden Farm
Retlaw.

You think right. The Whalley family had it until about the mid 1960s when they sold it and moved to (I believe) Longridge.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:56   #10
Junior Member+

thanks for the replies. acutally yes, milk does still get delivered from local farms. my parents live in Clayton-le-Moors and their garden backs onto a field with a farm at the end. they get milk delivered from that farm daily. I shall investigate for Accrington.
Old 24-08-2008, 22:14   #11

I can ask my milkman if you want?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 08:38   #12

Jacksons farm on Dill Hall Lane still deliver, sorry don't know their number. Or you could ask your parents milkman does he know of anyone in the Avenue Parade area who delivers.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 09:27   #13
Resting in Peace

There are 2 milkmen deliver on Mallard place every morning (except Sunday)
Old 25-08-2008, 10:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobie View Post
hey everyone, moving into our new house on Avenue Parade, Accrington, in about a month and would like to get milk delivered from a local farmer. my parents have it Clayton and how convenient? also, quite wanting to support local farms.
so how do you go about it in a new area? I don't even know of any farms.... do anyone know? thanks x

We live in Water Street next to Avenue Parade, We get our milk delivered by Vic Allonby, (who also sponsors the Stanley). have done for years & years.

He does a really good service, our milk is delivered before 5am, so its always there whatever time you're going to work, and you know its not left out all day and goes off or walkabouts

A great guy - pm me if you want his phone numbers or his email address
Old 25-08-2008, 11:28   #15
I am Banned

I dont i usually just get it from the local shop although it would probably be cheaper to get it delivered - but the amount we go through varies so much I could be left with none or enough left over to open my own dairy
we do ocasionally get 6 pints delivered although it actually should be for next door - I dont know why it happens I suppose if they are in a rush mistakes can happen -

can i ask how much it is for a 2 litre bottle of milk if anyone gets that size delivered ?
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..