Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2012, 10:09   #46

Re: Oswaldtwistle Moor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The health hazards of living near power lines is now recognized
http://www.abermulewales.co.uk/powerwatch.pdf
That probably explains the way I am then. You're right though, they are now recognised as potentially bad for the health.
Old 29-10-2012, 21:51   #47

Putting the blades on the 10th windmill.
The blades.
All 10 windmills
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3161.JPG (118.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3162.JPG (128.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3164.JPG (116.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3165.JPG (117.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3167.JPG (124.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3175.JPG (156.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3206.JPG (142.5 KB, 29 views)
wadey likes this.
Old 29-10-2012, 22:16   #48

I was absolutely stunned to see the view of this thing from the playing fields nr Fern Gore shops. They seem to be far larger turbines than those on Scout Moor. They do really over shadow the town now.

My only hope is that they are temporary and in 10 or 20 years time we will have a found a more effective source of energy, nuclear fission or the like, and these can be taken down and the site returned to nature.

However, they have set up a community fund. This doesn't sound like a vast amount of money but if anyone is interested.
Community Fund : HyndburnWindFarm
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 11:57   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It is a little early to be applying for funding. Money from the wind farm will not be given to Prospects until the wind farm is producing. The method of application, assessment, monitoring etc is not yet in place.
Old 30-10-2012, 13:41   #50
Senior Member+

Good grief, from Spider61s photos they look enormous, the blade lying on the low loaders really shows it.
How high are the erected ones?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 14:41   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

They are 80m tall with 42m long blades
Old 31-10-2012, 21:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They are 80m tall with 42m long blades
I call them the Ossy Triffids.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:19   #53

Windmills in the mist - this morning

IMGP3245.JPG

IMGP3257.JPG

IMGP3268.JPG

IMGP3282.JPG

IMGP3284.JPG
Shurm, katex, davemac and 1 others like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:25   #54

Love that 2nd pic.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:55   #55
Senior Member+

Them Windmills have a lot to answer for
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:08   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post
Very eery - they have me thinking of alien invasion!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:41   #57

Windfarm from Holden Wood, Duke of Wellington mid photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7913.jpg (319.4 KB, 25 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 23:39   #58
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
I was absolutely stunned to see the view of this thing from the playing fields nr Fern Gore shops. They seem to be far larger turbines than those on Scout Moor. They do really over shadow the town now.

My only hope is that they are temporary and in 10 or 20 years time we will have a found a more effective source of energy, nuclear fission or the like, and these can be taken down and the site returned to nature.

However, they have set up a community fund. This doesn't sound like a vast amount of money but if anyone is interested.
Community Fund : HyndburnWindFarm
Forgive me if this is aired somewhere else, but, the actual amount will be £100,000 per year for the next 25 years and is not dependant on the amount of electricity actually produced. Its based on the theoretical capacity of each turbine.
With match funding from other sources this means a total income of £5,000,000 for Prospects over the next 25 years.
There seems to be a silence on how this largesse will be allocated around the Borough. The turbines are turning so, one assumes, the cash will shortly be bolstering Prospects bank balance.
There is also silence on how Prospects were selected to receive this money.
greatharwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 13:29   #59
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatharwood View Post
Forgive me if this is aired somewhere else, but, the actual amount will be £100,000 per year for the next 25 years and is not dependant on the amount of electricity actually produced. Its based on the theoretical capacity of each turbine.
With match funding from other sources this means a total income of £5,000,000 for Prospects over the next 25 years.
There seems to be a silence on how this largesse will be allocated around the Borough. The turbines are turning so, one assumes, the cash will shortly be bolstering Prospects bank balance.
There is also silence on how Prospects were selected to receive this money.
This is the wrong place but seeing as you asked I will try and help.

No silence on how Prospect were selected, Energie Kontor have posted the information here Community Fund : HyndburnWindFarm. As far as I know they approached The Prospects Foundation several years ago and invited them to submit a proposal for a community fund.

The actual amount will not be £100,000 a year. It is index linked and could increase each year.

No idea where you come up with the figure of £5 million income for prospects. If you read the link I posted it explains that money will be available for local groups to apply for. When and how that bidding process will work has not yet been decided.

If you want any more information I suggest to contact the charity manager on this page http://www.prospectsfoundation.org.u...age=contact-us

Last edited by Neil; 22-12-2012 at 13:31.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 23:37   #60
Junior Member+

Neil,
Regarding the £5m, I was taking into account match funding that would be available from other sources. I'm sure you are aware that this is how many charities accumulate funds to do their work. So £100,000 x 25years = £2.5m + £2.5m (match funding) = £5m.
Energiekontor quoted the £100,000 figure in their Project Update April 2009, a figure which has not been disputed by Energie or Prospects when it has appeared in the local press, This equates to £3,500 per installed megawatt (i.e.the design capacity of the turbine, not the actual amount of power supplied.)
As you say there is an annual inflation increase written into the agreement, so we could say Prospects have the prospect of a steady annual income which over the next 25 years will have totaled £5m + inflation.
I may have missed it, but I query whether any other organisation, along with Prospects, was considered to oversee the spending of this significant amount of community money.

Of course this will be indirectly added to all our electric bills, but I don't think we need to go down that road on this thread.
greatharwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..