Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2006, 02:35   #1
God Member

Kemp Delph

Does the name Kemp Delph mean anything to any members who live in Ossy ? for some reason I think it was somewhere near to Cocker Chemicals ( my Grandad used to look after the lodges during the early 50s ) I seem to remember it was somewhere in the middle of some fields between Cockers and Stanhill ? , my mother who was raised at West End used to say it was a popular swimming spot for the local lads .
I tried finding it on Google earth , not sure if I am looking in the right place
Thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2006, 03:02   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Kemp Delph

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Does the name Kemp Delph mean anything to any members who live in Ossy ? for some reason I think it was somewhere near to Cocker Chemicals ( my Grandad used to look after the lodges during the early 50s ) I seem to remember it was somewhere in the middle of some fields between Cockers and Stanhill ? , my mother who was raised at West End used to say it was a popular swimming spot for the local lads .
I tried finding it on Google earth , not sure if I am looking in the right place
Thanks

Yes it's still there. Westender and myself had a chat about it, I'll see if I can find it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 03:04   #3
Give, give, give member

Lol, not very indepth, but here it is.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...ght=kemp+delph

Old 17-12-2006, 03:05   #4
God Member

thanks , I didn't know if I had the name right or not , or if I was having a 'senior' moment and getting two places mixed up into one
Old 17-12-2006, 03:13   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
thanks , I didn't know if I had the name right or not , or if I was having a 'senior' moment and getting two places mixed up into one
People were still swimming there this long hot summer, though the last time I walked past you could see a dead cow.

Old 17-12-2006, 03:15   #6
God Member

it's funny what memories this site has triggered in my memories , places and events I haven't thought about for 30/40 yrs
Old 17-12-2006, 03:20   #7
Give, give, give member

To get to Kemp Delph you take the footpath down from Stanhill Lane, opposite the last houses. After a hundred yards Kemp Delph is on your right. The path takes you down to the three lodges which are still there, but much cleaner now Cockers has cleaned up it's act. It used to be bright orange water, and was sometimes so thick you could walk on it.

Old 17-12-2006, 03:29   #8
God Member

in the days when my Grandad was there the lodges were used by locals for fishing , but those were the days before the word 'enviroment' had been invented, What kind of chemicals did Cockers get involved with ?
I know Billy Blythes did lots of stuff with sulpher , seem to remember a lot of exiled Poles worked there during the 50/60s and they had a yellowish tinge to their skin
Old 17-12-2006, 08:22   #9
Resident Waffler

I always used to have trouble saying 'Cocker Chemical Company'

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 17:23   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

hey up my dad was just talking about that the other day, how funny!!
Old 19-12-2006, 17:46   #11
Give, give, give member

It is a weird place really. I suppose it must at sometime have been a quarry. The thing is though that it isn't very big in area. It just goes vertically down, and doesn't really spread out much. We were told as children that we must never go in it because it is bottomless, not a true fact, but it is very deep.

It can't have been much of a commercial quarry. I wonder if it was the place where the stone was quarried for nearby Knuzden Hall, as it is the same type of sandstone?

Old 19-12-2006, 17:50   #12
God Member

re, the water in it , is it fed by a spring or just rainwater run off from the surounding fields ?
Old 19-12-2006, 17:58   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
re, the water in it , is it fed by a spring or just rainwater run off from the surounding fields ?
I've asked Santa for a digital camera, so soon I will be able to do an illustrated report for you as well, if he thinks I've been a good boy this year.

It's in total isolation. It must be spring fed. There are no streams on the surface that feed it. Even in hot summers, like this and that of '76, the water level drops dramatically, and you see shelves of cut stone that are usually cvovered, but it is always full of water.

Old 19-12-2006, 18:55   #14

steeljack PM me your email address and I will send you a placemark for kemp delph on google earth.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 08:16   #15
Senior Member+

Weird place, makes you wonder how many human bodies are in there as well.
Wonder if the police thought of this place when they was looking for that man who was murdered.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..