Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2005, 12:45   #16
Senior Member+

Re: School Keep Clear - Yellow Zig-Zags

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfc babe
i agree with most things you say neil but what can the school do about it?
I don't notice the problem at Hippings, because it's not on the main road, but St Mary's is a nightmare, an accident waiting to happen. I agree that the police and parents are responsible, but I do think the schools should show some interest in the problem, may be a "newsletter" with some imput from the Community Beat Manager indicating that parents are breaking the law by parking on zig zags, and that they will be booked if found parking in such a manner. Rhydding is also as bad at school finishing times.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2005, 13:51   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Here is a picture of a Kirkmans coach waiting to take some childrem swimming outside St Mary's in Oswaldtwistle.
I think this is a bit different to all and sundry parking on the zig zags at a time when the children are arriving at school. Looking at the area there it's difficult to choose a safer location for the bus to park because at the time it is there the only children coming out of the school will be those actually heading onto the bus. If the bus parked further away then the children would be more at risk of possible accidents, particularly if it parked so far away as to cause them to have to cross a road. It's a very awkward location.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 14:20   #18
Senior Member+

You could be correct willow, but directly opposite the coach is a car parked half on the pavement, a case of double parking. Also there are railings protecting children from the road, so may be the coach could have parked a little further along. That area is no go at school starting/finishing times, as are a lot more, Fairfield nursery just along the road is another with the same problem, it has become a major road safety problem

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-04-2005, 14:35   #19
Resident Waffler

How far along do the railings go? That was one of my reasons for thinking that other than parking where he is (between sets of railings but within the keep clear/zig zag area) he may have had to park too far away from the school which could have led to children coming out and spilling into the road in that area where he is actually parked on the photo, between the railings.

As for that car, was it there first or did it park after the bus did?

It's a problem without and easy solution. sometimes you just have to settle for what seems to be the least of several evils.

Old 16-04-2005, 14:44   #20
God Member

You watch though, the parents that park on these lines.......if it was one of there children getting knocked down, they would go mad, bit hypocritical isn't it.

My children go to st.peters school..............the street that the childrens school is on is very narrow. Yes kids have been knocked down time and time again but, will the idiot parents stop trying to get ''the nearest they possibly can'' to the school gates???????? No will they hell, because it is far too hard to park at the bottom and walk their children up to school which must be the whole of about 20 foot steps away. What they don't realise is by walking the rest of the way they may be saving some poor kid from being knocked down. There is one driver that drives a people carrier type car, he is dangerous to say the least, usually driving very fast with at least 10 kids in the car, the school took a photo of his vehicle and put it in the last newsletter warning ''All parents to drive carefully and consider the children''.
Did it stop the offender?????????? i'll let you decide.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 14:45   #21
Senior Member+

Almost sure the railing go along to the end of the "School Keep Clear" markings on the road. The parked car, anyone's guess. I agree it's a very difficult situation, the safety of children is a must, but I do think the police could be a little more pro-active in dealing with this problem.

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-04-2005, 14:45   #22
mez
God Member

some one ought to be outside springhill primary school when they are coming out, it is utter chaos , with cars, children, all trying to move it is a wonder that a child has not been injured before now, as for the coach that takes them to the baths, that parks in exchange st, & that road is busy enough anyway.
Old 16-04-2005, 14:49   #23
Resident Waffler

That's another one with no real safe place for a school trip bus to park. You'd have expected it to have been incorporated into the car park area when the new school was built wouldn't you? The "powers that be" weren't for making the car park big enough even for the teachers cars! Considering most of them come from far afield where else were they expected to leave their cars?

Old 16-04-2005, 15:00   #24
Senior Member+

Seems like there is a major problem with all the local schools, contact with the Community Beat Manager may help.

The attached doc is taken from the newsletter Intouch "local information and news from your community beat manager
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New-1.jpg (142.4 KB, 16 views)

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-04-2005, 22:04   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think this is a bit different to all and sundry parking on the zig zags at a time when the children are arriving at school.
I agree, it is dispicable that a coach hired by the school is creating a hazard for the school's children.

Quote:
Looking at the area there it's difficult to choose a safer location for the bus to park because at the time it is there the only children coming out of the school will be those actually heading onto the bus.
I spoke to the schools headteacher. The coach is not supposed to arrive until 9:10am when the traffic problem is over. On this occasion I saw the coach arrive at 9am.

Quote:
If the bus parked further away then the children would be more at risk of possible accidents, particularly if it parked so far away as to cause them to have to cross a road. It's a very awkward location.
At the end of the zip-zags is a bus stop. During the mad rush parents park in the bus stop. This is why the coach is supposed to arrive at 9:10am. As for the hazard of the children walking to the bus stop, there are metal railings along the footpath from the school to the bus stop.

The headteacher is very concerned about the parking hazard and regularly sends out letters to parents. He is intending to speak to the coach driver next Friday when he is taking the children swimming.
Old 16-04-2005, 22:08   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
The parked car, anyone's guess.
No guess needed mate. The car was parked first. I had to wait behind it while I let a car pass the parked coach.
Old 16-04-2005, 23:22   #27
Resident Waffler

Quote:
At the end of the zip-zags is a bus stop.
In that case it is obviously the best place for the coach to park as the railings would direct the children towards the coach. This just wasn't evident in your photo.

Old 17-04-2005, 07:09   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
No guess needed mate. The car was parked first. I had to wait behind it while I let a car pass the parked coach.
My reply was to a question put by willow, "which vehicle was there first" and from the photo it was anyone's guesss.

Albert Einstein.

Old 18-04-2005, 05:42   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It is a poor photo. I did not have a camera with me so I had to use my phone. Not bad for a phone .
Old 18-04-2005, 06:54   #30
Senior Member+

Not bad for a phone camera, it's good enough to highlight the problem, am sure that the people living in the houses adjacent to the school must be a little fed up with the problem.

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..