Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2009, 19:42   #1
Senior Member+

Tramps & Vagrants

A mate has suggested that ( 1950s) there was a smelly , homeless character in Accrington called 'Itchycoo'. He used tio frequent the Commercial , or at least hang around there before being buggered off by the long-serving landlord, whose name I have forgotten. I think he has got the name wrong, and I think the man would be 'Tommy Ent ' ( Entwistle probably), who slept most nights in the brickworks kilns. I recall hearing of a chap in Blackburn being called Itchycoo.

There must have been others. The men who walked from town to town used to give their address as Police Street, Darwen (c1960) This was a common lodging house.Accrington's had gone by this time.

I was told that Tommy Ent had been married with a family, but had left home to live on the streets. I recall that he was a mild-mannered bloke, except when he was affected by drink, made worse because he had eaten very little.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2009, 20:03   #2
I am Banned

Re: Tramps & Vagrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A mate has suggested that ( 1950s) there was a smelly , homeless character in Accrington called 'Itchycoo'. He used tio frequent the Commercial , or at least hang around there before being buggered off by the long-serving landlord, whose name I have forgotten. I think he has got the name wrong, and I think the man would be 'Tommy Ent ' ( Entwistle probably), who slept most nights in the brickworks kilns. I recall hearing of a chap in Blackburn being called Itchycoo.

There must have been others. The men who walked from town to town used to give their address as Police Street, Darwen (c1960) This was a common lodging house.Accrington's had gone by this time.

I was told that Tommy Ent had been married with a family, but had left home to live on the streets. I recall that he was a mild-mannered bloke, except when he was affected by drink, made worse because he had eaten very little.
At it again Dobo
I've found the picture of your look-a-like.
He came back from the war. His wife had been playing around. She tried to sue him for maintainance. He just up an said if I've nowt thad ged nowt, and went living rough. whch would be nothing compared to what he went thro during the first world war.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piggy-1.jpg (107.9 KB, 36 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 20:10   #3
God Member

When Melbourne House opened in 1965, The National Assistance Board and The Ministry of Pensions & National Insurance came together there.
Even though they were still separate depts then, staff had more contact with each other and exchanged anecdotes.
I recall the N A B staff mentioning the men who spent nights at the brickyard, so there was more than just the one man you mention, and it was happening later than the 50s. They collected 'assistance money' for food only, daily

When I was promoted in 1971 the 2 depts had merged and I was assigned duties at Blackburn in the type of work previously done by the National Assistance Board.
I visited/interviewed itinerants at the Police St hostel on a few occasions.

I do not remember the names of any of them - it was an unpleasant aspect of the job which was best forgotten

Last edited by MargaretR; 17-02-2009 at 20:18.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 20:41   #4
Senior Member+

The photo of Piggy - I think he was 'wandering abroad' before Tommy Ent. I do not remember him from the 50s though I do remember Tommy. Margaret is probably right - there would be several men in this situation. Some of these probably gave their address as 'Moorlands' which was the name for the workhouse near Rawtenstall. It became a hospital.
Old 17-02-2009, 20:47   #5
God Member

Quote:
The photo of Piggy - I think he was 'wandering abroad' before Tommy Ent. I do not remember him from the 50s though I do remember Tommy. Margaret is probably right - there would be several men in this situation. Some of these probably gave their address as 'Moorlands' which was the name for the workhouse near Rawtenstall. It became a hospital.
They didn't need any address to get daily money for food.
Office jargon named them 'NFA' = no fixed abode

Last edited by MargaretR; 17-02-2009 at 20:50.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:57   #6
Senior Member+

An old Blackburn bobby has told me that Itchycoo was a Blackburn chap whose true name was Thomas William Harrison. He frequented the brickyard in Grimshaw Park area as well as Police st Darwen.
There was a famous song in the 70s about Itchycoo Park.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:59   #7
God Member

Quote:
An old Blackburn bobby has told me that Itchycoo was a Blackburn chap whose true name was Thomas William Harrison. He frequented the brickyard in Grimshaw Park area as well as Police st Darwen.
There was a famous song in the 70s about Itchycoo Park.
I have just looked at the lyrics - appears no connection with this man

Old 19-02-2009, 20:07   #8
Senior Member+

M I didn't say there was - just that the name cropped up. I suspect that there would be many tramps with this name all over the country.
Old 15-03-2009, 23:43   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

remember tommy ent, was also a guy known as "Owd Henry" used to kip in readers rag shop up the raggy back off melbourne st, he always used to sit on the front row of the "Bug Hut" Kings Hall cinema n shoot all the germans. i would be about 6/7 then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..