Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 00:59   #1
God Member

Where did all the Slate used on roofs come from

Seems we are on a bit of a History roll , anyone know where all the slate was quarried for use as roofing material on all the houses in Lancashire, remember from my days at skoo that Wales was a big producer,seems a long way to go, was there anywhere nearer , seems there were lots of stone quarries around but don't remember any talk of Slate being quarried locally
Thx.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Where did all the Slate used on roofs come from

Have aread of this Slate industry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-07-2010, 02:22   #3
God Member

i remember going to festinog in wales on work experience and tehre was a slate mine/quary but i dont recall if it was still active but they sure had a lot of prints on slate for sale.I recall been tod that it was its biggest trade years ago .

my guess would be a lot of it came form wales

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:34   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Interesting read ,thanks , never knew the Lake District was a Slate producing area
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39   #5
Give, give, give member

Most in Ossy came from Wales.

Perhaps it came by barge.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:42   #6
Give, give, give member

Thinking about it, most homes pre-industrial revolution, seem to have stone roofs, made from local sandstone.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:45   #7
Give, give, give member

Just found this, which backs up what I thought.

The terraced housing was invariably built of the local Pennine sandstone. Door and window surrounds, gate piers and copings would give emphasis by the use Ashlar. Early housing had local sandstone roofs but following introduction of improved transport links such as the canal and then the railway, Welsh slate became the predominant roofing material.
Pendle Borough Council - Lomeshaye Bridge Mill

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53   #8
Give, give, give member

This makes interesting reading.

Building materials
Writing in the Buildings of England volume for Lancashire, Alec Clifton-Taylor inaccurately
stated that ‘industrial Lancashire was largely built of brick’ (Pevsner 1969, 37). In particular
he cited the use of the hard, bright red bricks made by the brickworks at Accrington and
known as ‘Accrington bloods’. Whilst it is true that brick was usually the preferred
construction material of the later nineteenth century mills and workshops, and was widely
used for housing in the towns of west Lancashire, in the east Lancashire industrial towns
gritstone was the preferred building material. Accrington, the source of so much of the
brick used elsewhere and considered unsightly by architectural historians like Clifton-
Taylor, is notable for its relative lack of brick-built structures (Pevsner 1969, 45). Locally
quarried Carboniferous gritty sandstones were used for most housing and corporate
buildings, and for the majority of ecclesiastical and educational buildings as well.
Accrington brick does appear occasionally, usually in structures where its brightness
complements a building’s flamboyant design. A good example of this is the Post Office
Arcade, built in the 1890s. Indeed, throughout east Lancashire, brick is often reserved for
‘special’ buildings. It has been noted, for example, that the majority of pre-1914 brick-built
houses are architect designed quality residences (Atkinson 1972, 70)

Old 06-07-2010, 07:56   #9
Give, give, give member

(Continued.)

The majority of structures are built in locally quarried gritstone, however (Whalley nd). Of
all pre-1914 built structures, 92% were built using gritstone and only 8% in brick (Atkinson
1972, 8). The uses of gritstone vary from ashlared masonry, as utilised in corporate
buildings, to roughly hewn blocks for most residential buildings. Most of the earlier
domestic and former agricultural structures have uncoursed rubble side walls with
watershot front and rear elevations. Virtually all of the surviving vernacular style buildings
pre-dating 1840 have watershot stone frontages. Some such buildings built between 1840
and 1850 also have this feature, but after 1850 this building method appears to have
ceased in Accrington. Post-1850 working-class housing and utilitarian structures, like the
later byelaw housing, tends to have coursed rubble walls

Despite a century of industrial pollution followed by often misguided attempts to clean
buildings of their smoke blackening, Accrington’s stone buildings show remarkably little
sign of erosion. The hard-wearing nature of the local stone, its ubiquity of occurrence and
its versatility for use in various forms made it the preferred choice for local building. In
addition, gritstone was the traditionally used material perhaps best suited to parochial
conservative tastes (Atkinson 1972, 69). By contrast, the locally made brick may have
been primarily for export to towns less well-resourced with workable building stone, and to
larger urban centres more open to progressive architectural tastes (Atkinson 1972, 70).
Roofs were, at least originally, covered in sandstone flags. Welsh slate was imported for
use in some buildings, but many roofs today have had such materials replaced with lighter
and now less expensive substitutes

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Old 06-07-2010, 09:14   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thinking about it, most homes pre-industrial revolution, seem to have stone roofs, made from local sandstone.
I had a cottage in Hassy with a stone roof G. what a ball ache that was, I was forever pointing the bloody thing
Old 06-07-2010, 19:24   #11
I am Banned

When the housing boom came along in Accrington, several new streets appeared in the Woodnook area, most of them in the Royds St to Hill St built with Accy Nori bricks, and blue slate roofs, stone face fronts, the bricks in my daughters house are Nori engineering grade, I know because I've had to drill a lot holes for different fixings.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 19:30   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
When the housing boom came along in Accrington, several new streets appeared in the Woodnook area, most of them in the Royds St to Hill St built with Accy Nori bricks, and blue slate roofs, stone face fronts, the bricks in my daughters house are Nori engineering grade, I know because I've had to drill a lot holes for different fixings.
Retlaw.

You any drill bits left after that?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:29   #13

When the boys were little we went to the North Wales slate quarries and the narrow guage railways that took the slates to the coast (Porthmadog) some of our older cottages have stone roofs but they are very, very heavy as are modern concrete ones
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:50   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
You any drill bits left after that?
Yes all of them, when drilling Nori I regrind the drill as if I was going to drill steel, and switch the hammer action off. Its the hammer action when drilling Nori that chips the tungsten carbide tips.
I also keep all my blunt or damaged turning tool tungsten carbide tips, and use then to repair my drill bits.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Yes all of them, when drilling Nori I regrind the drill as if I was going to drill steel, and switch the hammer action off. Its the hammer action when drilling Noi that chips the tungsten carbide tips.
I also keep all my blunt or damaged turning tool tungsten carbide tips, and use then to repair my drill bits.

Retlaw.
Took the words out of my mouth Retlaw regarding taking off the hammer for Nori learnt that many moons ago

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..