Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2007, 17:26   #46
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Teacher in vampire web storm

Pity the site was not still on, wouldnt have minded seeing that!

this is the 21st century for heavens sake!!
Old 17-02-2007, 17:30   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I hope Romps doesn't get into trouble at school.

What with her being married to a grand wizard...who made all the pets in Rhydding's Park disappear.
She'll only get in trouble if she writes a book about him.... and his activities.
By the way Romps, if you get extra time off school then I want some as well. You can tell them that I helped you co-write it. See you on Monday.
Old 17-02-2007, 17:51   #48
Resident Waffler

Maybe you could get suspended for posting on AccyWeb - especially in the over 18s section

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 18:25   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Maybe you could get suspended for posting on AccyWeb - especially in the over 18s section

Yes, I'm still not sure if that picture Neil posted of that little wrinkled pink thing, really is a baby rabbit.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 22:22   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
If they are a single un-wed mothers they shouldn't be teaching in schools , sets a bad example to young people , I wouldn't want a slapper teaching my kids

Can't believe you made this remark steeljack .. out of character methinks.
I have been a divorced single mother since my son was 4 years old; my divorced daughter from her daughter being 1 day old. Between juggling job in Manchester, reciprocated baby-sitting, time-table with no free time .. single mum's do not have time to become slappers .... Hmmph I wish.

As for this young teacher, 'fraid sitting on the fence at the moment 'til I know more. Think it is correct should be a subject of investigation, after all, rather obsessive off-beat subject, isn't it ? Sure all is well though.

On the flip side, if the school did not look into this rather weird pastime of this teacher, and any of her pupils were affected in anyway tragically, then we would be all blaming the lack of questioning by the school wouldn't we? Can't have it both ways.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 00:23   #51
Give, give, give member

Steeljack hasn't been seen since he posted that.

I think aliens must have taken over his body.

He is normally quite the liberal...he's even seen Barbara Streisand in San Francisco for goodness sake.

Old 18-02-2007, 01:27   #52
God Member

okay folks maybe I was just having an off day , but all i said was,..... that I didn't think that a single unwed mother was a good role model for young people , I did not say anything about one parent families (partner deceased) or divorced single parents.
Maybe its non PC or old fashioned way of thinking but I still have reservations about any single unmarried woman wanting to raise a child without a partner (male or female)
Its difficult enough for a 'regular' family these days so its got to be twice as difficult for a lone parent to raise a child .

just a note to the folks who advised me to stay away from the monthly meet-up , remember your in a line behind the chap who doesn't approve of my liberal views on another subject
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 07:48   #53
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

As for this young teacher, 'fraid sitting on the fence at the moment 'til I know more. Think it is correct should be a subject of investigation, after all, rather obsessive off-beat subject, isn't it ? Sure all is well though.

How obscure can it be when some schools are actually studying Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein as part of the curriculum?

My daughter is doing Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" which contains seduction, murder and a brothel and is an incredibly emotive novel.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 09:12   #54
Super Moderator

Quote:
I still have reservations about any single unmarried woman wanting to raise a child without a partner (male or female)
Something of a generalization there, Steeljack. I know of many unmarried women (apart from my wife) who have brought up children singlehandedly and made a fantastic job of it. One friend of ours raised her son entirely on her own - he's a sound lad who has just finished university and is set for a good career. I also know of married couples who aren't fit to look after hamsters.

But the fact is that this teacher is married. She's also, apparently, very good at her job. But because she's doesn't fit the conventional mould, she's being persecuted for it. Presumably, if her interests were cake baking and flower arranging, there'd be no problem. I'm beginning to think I'm in a "Life On Mars"-type scenario and I've gone back to 1907!
Old 18-02-2007, 09:56   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
that I didn't think that a single unwed mother was a good role model for young people
I'm single, have never been married am bringing my child up on my own. I have 7 teenage cousins, so are you saying that i'm a bad role model to them????

Quote:
Its difficult enough for a 'regular' family these days so its got to be twice as difficult for a lone parent to raise a child .
It is!! But I manage very well. And off my own back.

At the end of the day though this teacher isnt single and un-wed, I think her son is very lucky having a published writer and teacher as a mother. He should be proud!! As should her husband. Her fiction that she writes, really isnt my thing but it is some peoples, and I hope she does very, very well out of all the publicity. So that if (god fobid) she does loose her job, she can provide well for her son off being a published writer. Good Luck to you Ms. Goldstone.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 11:12   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

My daughter is doing Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" which contains seduction, murder and a brothel and is an incredibly emotive novel.
Oh I bloody loved that book when I was reading it at school. It always had me crying when he had to shoot his own dog.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 11:37   #57
I am Banned

Quote:
okay folks maybe I was just having an off day , but all i said was,..... that I didn't think that a single unwed mother was a good role model for young people , I did not say anything about one parent families (partner deceased) or divorced single parents.
Maybe its non PC or old fashioned way of thinking but I still have reservations about any single unmarried woman wanting to raise a child without a partner (male or female)
Still dont see the difference, many are left with no choice - they get dumped or left for someone else or the other partner [male & female these days] walk out for their own selfish reasons leaving the kids & thus the single parent is born married or not, so really cannot see why that person is discriminated for their circumstances more than happens anyway. You are still basing on a typical stereotype that many fantastic single parents are judged by & u dont realise how insulting & hurtful that is to them!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 12:36   #58
Give, give, give member

I agree Mel.

I still think whatever the circumstances of a teacher's private or home life, it has nothing to do with their abilities to be a good teacher.

The masters at my old school could have been married, single, transvestites, or even practising Tories for all I cared. The fact is we neither knew, nor cared what they did outside of school. We judged them on their ability to teach. Which apparently this teacher at St. Christopher's appears to do very well, judging by the comments of some of her students.

Old 23-03-2007, 12:57   #59
I am Banned

Well thro all of this Ms Goldstone has left her post at St Chris's

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...cher_quits.php
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 13:01   #60

How sad, I had heard she was THE best teacher in the school - very inspiring were the words used

Suz x.
suzster is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..