Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 13:45   #1

Body confidence

Hi all,
I was watching the Gok Wan,How to look good naked show last night and they where talking about teenage kids having no body confidence and that more should be done in schools to help these kids.
I totally agree with them and have signed this petition....
How to Look Good Naked - Features - Help Gok Get Body Confidence on the Curriculum - Channel 4

What do you think?
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2009, 14:18   #2

Re: Body confidence

body confidence ? as in they dont like how they look ?
Old 07-10-2009, 14:20   #3

Sod that spend the time on extra PE lessons instead and there is nothing to be self conscious about. Any irrational negative self image is down to the glossy magazines - sort them out rather than have these lessons, prevention is better than the cure.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 14:43   #4

so its "love the skin your in" and all that jazz is it ? if fat people are fat they should try and sort it out for there own health i would say....but people women need loving too
Old 07-10-2009, 14:47   #5
God Member

I've just watched one of these programmes - just for research. The way he boosts her confidence is simply to tell her she looks fantastic and amazing all the time. This is the real way to get people to appreciate the way they look - for other people to tell them how good they look.

Most girls/women will appreciate that it only takes one wolf whistle or one compliment and it boosts you, instantly you put your shoulders back, boobs out and walk with more of a sashay. And that has a knock on effect.

So all you men out there - tell the woman in your life how good she looks and she'll instantly start to feel better about herself. Keep telling your daughters, whatever size they are, how gorgeous they are so they don't get to the point where their confidence is blown away.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 15:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I've just watched one of these programmes - just for research. The way he boosts her confidence is simply to tell her she looks fantastic and amazing all the time. This is the real way to get people to appreciate the way they look - for other people to tell them how good they look.

Most girls/women will appreciate that it only takes one wolf whistle or one compliment and it boosts you, instantly you put your shoulders back, boobs out and walk with more of a sashay. And that has a knock on effect.

So all you men out there - tell the woman in your life how good she looks and she'll instantly start to feel better about herself. Keep telling your daughters, whatever size they are, how gorgeous they are so they don't get to the point where their confidence is blown away.
Totally agree with you but unfortunatly most men are still in the dark ages
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 15:28   #7

I'm sorry but I fail to see why being overweight should be encouraged.
Old 07-10-2009, 15:29   #8
Give, give, give member

Feminists must be so happy, after struggling to change the world, that some women only feel good about themselves if they get wolf whistled at, or they have a gay man telling them they are beautiful.

How about teaching people that what this society describes as being beautiful, is only skin deep?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 15:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Feminists must be so happy, after struggling to change the world, that some women only feel good about themselves if they get wolf whistled at, or they have a gay man telling them they are beautiful.

How about teaching people that what this society describes as being beautiful, is only skin deep?

Well said
Old 07-10-2009, 16:07   #10

Quote:

Have to agree most men fail to see the benefit of telling their wife/girlfriend how beautiful they are... unless of course they are after something..... !!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 16:22   #11
Give, give, give member

I honestly think if people need constant reassurance about their looks, then their self confidence should be addressed.

That way they wouldn't give two hoots what other people thought about how they looked.

Old 07-10-2009, 16:24   #12

Quote:
I honestly think if people need constant reassurance about their looks, then their self confidence should be addressed.

That way they wouldn't give two hoots what other people thought about how they looked.
You've hit the nail right on the head there...
Old 07-10-2009, 18:37   #13
God Member

I also watched the programme but won't be signing the petition because I don't see it as something to be put on the school curriculum. There was nothing wrong with the girls in the interview other than they were paranoid about how others saw them. The problem lies in the way magazines and the media portray how people should look and what size they should be. Hopefully this trend can be reversed.
We should all adopt the attitude "if you don't like don't look"
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59   #14
God Member

Quote:

Fair point.

I think it's a catch 22 situation though - some women feel confident and beautiful if they are told that they are confident and beautiful. The flip side of it is that if no one ever tells you that you're beautiful then some women start to believe that they aren't.

The way that Gok Wan boosted their confidence was to simply tell them how beautiful they looked because they couldn't see it for themselves and because no one else had told them. They didn't have the confidence in the first place.

If you want to address the whole issue of body confidence, then one way to start is to help people gain the confidence in the first place. You do that by reassuring them that they look good.

I also think that programmes like Gok Wan's could add to someone else's lack of confidence - it might make the woman involved more confident - but it might have the negative impact on others because it was still about trying to look slim. He was putting women in clothes that 'flattered' them and made them look 'slimmer'. Isn't he just perpetuating the myth that you have to look slim to be beautiful?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 23:37   #15
Give, give, give member

I think if a person's self confidence was adequate, 'body confidence' wouldn't be an issue.

Outward appearance is a very fragile covering.

Masking the real person within.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..