Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2008, 18:23   #1
God Member

DVD recommendations

Seeing as Blockbuster is a bit of a rip off these days i joined the tesco DVD club and must say i`m very impressed, i pay £5,47 (ish) for 3 films a month and you can keep them as long as you want, send it back and then they send you another one from your list of choices....very impressed so far. Anyway i was wondering what people have been watching recently and what are your recommendations......?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2008, 18:26   #2
God Member

Re: DVD recommendations

So to get the ball rolling..........30 Days Of Night.......bog standard vampire flick with above average special effects, i`ll not go into detail but it was nothing new and we turned it off before the end so i`d not really reommend it unless you are a bit bored, would be ok if it was on Film 4.
Old 17-08-2008, 18:28   #3
God Member

Richard does the same with lovefilm (amazon)
Old 17-08-2008, 18:29   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Richard does the same with lovefilm (amazon)

The Tesco is Lovefilm powered and so i think are a lot of the online DVD clubs.... anyway what have you seen recently? and was it any good?
Old 17-08-2008, 21:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
...i pay £5,47 (ish) for 3 films a month and you can keep them as long as you want...
So what happens if you send them back before the end of the month? Do your next choices get sent out immediately or at the start of the next month?

I'm with LoveFilm and get 3 DVDs for £15 per month, but as soon as they go back they are replaced. In practical terms, it means about 28 different discs a month, if I'm not too busy to watch them.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 13:52   #6
God Member

[quote=Studio25;620195]So what happens if you send them back before the end of the month? Do your next choices get sent out immediately or at the start of the next month?
quote]

You get one film at a time and when one goes back another one is sent, if you have had all 3 before the end of the month you don`t get another till your your change over date. Its one of the Tesco Value packages although they do the same packages as you have mentioned.
Old 19-08-2008, 01:32   #7

Hmmm. £5.47 for 3 DVDs a month (£1.82 per rental) compared with £15 for 28 DVDs a month (54p per rental).

Obviously Tesco uses some definition of the word "Value" of which I was not previously aware.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:01   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Hmmm. £5.47 for 3 DVDs a month (£1.82 per rental) compared with £15 for 28 DVDs a month (54p per rental).

Obviously Tesco uses some definition of the word "Value" of which I was not previously aware.

£1.82 per rental Tesco, £3.95 per rental Blockbuster, mmmm sounds like value to me, I also have a life so what possible use would 28 DVD`s a month be to me.....The Tesco rental is powered by LoveFilm and therefore offers the same packages as they do but comparing the sites the Tesco rental looks cheaper to me........each to their own i suppose.

Last edited by pipinfort; 19-08-2008 at 14:06.
Old 20-08-2008, 08:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
£1.82 per rental Tesco, £3.95 per rental Blockbuster, mmmm sounds like value to me, I also have a life so what possible use would 28 DVD`s a month be to me.....
I have a family of five, so 28 DVDs a month is very valuable. As you say, each tot heir own.

Edit: I got it wrong - it's £15.99 a month, not £15, so the figures are slightly different, but still more value than Tesco (or indeed LoveFilm's current packages).

Last edited by Studio25; 20-08-2008 at 08:38. Reason: got it wrong
Old 20-08-2008, 20:09   #10

I`ve still got 28weeks later to watch...loved the first one. I dont know if Hancock and IronMan are out yet on DVD but they were Ok apparently if you like that kind of thing.

I`ve also just started watching the West Wing which is a cracking series even though its 10 years old or whatever. You could always see if you can get series DVDs which have multiple episodes on then every month have a Sunday afternoon watching them
Old 20-08-2008, 21:16   #11
Senior Member+

ive seen hancock... its great !!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 19:30   #12
God Member

`The Spiderwick Chronicles` (12)was last nights DVD treat for the littlest `un.....and what a good `un it was too, a bit Harry Potterish , full of mystical creatures and good special effects, slightly scary for small kids but great for the older ones......recommended.....
Old 25-08-2008, 12:18   #13
God Member

We watched that en at cinema Pipinfort, well worth it, and would definitely see it again!

Watched Hancock anorl! Now that was funny!
Would definitely recommend that
Old 25-08-2008, 13:47   #14
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

"The Bucket List" is quite good if you like Jack Nicholson that is

Last edited by MITZY; 25-08-2008 at 13:50.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 17:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
I`ve still got 28weeks later to watch...loved the first one.
Yeah, dont bother with this one....nowhere near as good

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..