Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2006, 01:59   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Are Pick-up Trucks allowed in England?

I've been quite curious about this. During my trip to England, I didn't see one pick-up truck, not even the small ones! Here in this part of Virginia (as in much of "the south"), many families have a truck as do all the blue-collar type businesses (painters, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, etc.). I use mine for hauling firewood, mulch, brush, building materials, animal feed, trash to the dump etc.. Are they not allowed in England or just very highly taxed? Or is it due to the lower gas mileage?

Brian
LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2006, 02:11   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Are Pick-up Trucks allowed in England?

no they are allowed

they're just not popular cause we dont do many of the things that u guys do as u mentioend above

the f150 is too expensive as are the other variants - expensive to run too

brits generally i guess are more likely to plop for the 4x4 or a 7 seater
Old 21-07-2006, 02:43   #3
God Member

LancYorkYankee...........the streets in the urban areas are to narrow for full size pick-ups and petrol (gas is way to expensive), I saw plenty of the Chevy S10 type trucks , Range Rovers are about the biggest things in regular use also trying to park would be impossible , the width of parking stalls in the UK is about 1 foot narrower than the compact parking stalls in the U S
Even here in Bay Area ,I drive a Dodge Ram with gun rack (for 5' level) I have problems parking if I go into the City ......don't know how the pretentious d**kheads who drive Hummers manage.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 06:07   #4
God Member

There does seem to be a bit of a surgance in pickups at the moment, Mitsi L200'animal', Ford ranger/thunder and the Toyota one. they are a bit of a fashion item at the minute i.e. driven by people who really don't need a pickup but want to look macho.

It doesn't help that we are paying over £4 a gallon for petrol where you lot the other side of the pond pay under $3 ( about £1.60 )

As for parking there was an article recently how council car parking spaces can actually be 6" smaller than a Ford Focus so trying to fit a Dodge Ram in would probably need about 3 spaces

One other thing of note is cultural, because your country is physically so large you tend to drive further than we do and historically American cars tend to set their stall out to be big comfy mile munchers. In Europe we tend to prefer cars that don't run and hide when you come to a corner

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 16:34   #5
God Member

Most of them now are the big type that like you have over there and they tend to be covered on the back, but we used to have small pick ups, there was the p100 that was popular with farmers and builders.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 17:38   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
There does seem to be a bit of a surgance in pickups at the moment, Mitsi L200'animal', Ford ranger/thunder and the Toyota one. they are a bit of a fashion item at the minute
They are also classed as a van so businesses can claim the VAT back when they buy one. That is the main reason we have seen a rise in the number of pick ups with back seats.
Old 21-07-2006, 18:17   #7
I am Banned

pickups are allowed but we are behind the USA both in crime levels and inbreeding so as of yet there isnt much demand for pickup trucks in the UK

however judging by some of the sights ive seen inbreeding is on the increase so expect a surge of pickup truck sales in the next few years

also our roads are norrower here so only those who enjoy hogging all the road feel it necessary to own one

oh and ram raiders like to use them as well
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..