Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2010, 09:30   #346
Resting in Peace

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
so u have his latest? Any good?
Have just got the hard back as a present its called Breathless, which although it may seem like, I have had no input into the writing of this book
Old 14-01-2010, 11:12   #347
Senior Member+

The Biography of Alastair Sim....very good read!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:44   #348
Common Sense Member

I usually have two or three on the go at any one time. This week I'm on:

Tony Hancock - The Definitive Biography by John Fisher. It's very thorough although falls into the trap that most biographies get caught in which is over-praising the subject matter. Generally speaking I only go for autobiographies and this is a prime example of why. It's also written in a very descriptive but rather turgid way that often leaves you re-reading sentences to get the gist of what the author is trying to get across. We're certainly not going to get an autobiography out of Hancock now but this will tell you what you want to know.

And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer. The sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and the first one not written by Douglas Adams. It's not overwhelming although there are tons of back-references to all of Adams' books and is very faithful to his style.

Doctor Who: Art of Destruction by Stephen Cole. Oh dear. For nine years while Paul McGann was the Doctor we had solid, complex adventures which appealed to an older audience but now we're left with a range that panders to the Harry Potter generation and no one else. The characterisation is spot on but it's certainly a range for children only now.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:52   #349
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Im currently reading a biography of Fred Dibnah by David Hall. Its only when Ive gone a little deeper into his life than the TV programmes do that Ive realised the depth of his knowledge about many different subjects relating to all aspects of engineering.
Mark
One of the most enjoyable books I've ever read and prompted me to go and watch all his old TV shows. Gripping stuff and absolutely fascinating to pretty much anyone interested in old Lancashire. They don't build 'em like him anymore.
Old 03-02-2010, 19:05   #350
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Light side of damnation" now finished & onto R.A.Salvatore "The Orc King" book 1 in the transitions trilogy it's a follow on from "The Hunters blade trilogy", which followed the "Sellswords trilogy", which followed on from the "legend of Drizzt" 12 books. Magic, monsters, Orcs, ogres & magical worlds etc, etc: Did I mention he's a Dark Elf who hangs out with Dwarves, Humans & other elves ??
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25   #351
Resting in Peace

I am reading a very gory book
The memoirs of a police pathologist

Its about a north west police pathologist who has done the job for over 30 years.

He tells of some very rememberable cases but from his work point of few.
do you remember a "Mr ASIA"the drug Barron murdered in the Chorley area.

The most harrowing piece so far is the first chapter as its about the children in the moors murders but from his side of the story.
its very upsetting but interesting
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 22:09   #352
Senior Member+

deathlands #68 and soon...... dean koont'z latest breathless
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02   #353
Common Sense Member

The Alan Clark Diaries: Into Politics Covering the period from 1972 to 1983 and his rise to the House of Commons, this is the second volume of Alan Clark's personal diary entries. It starts off in a pretty uninteresting way and although you get the full story you start off wishing it would just get to the good bits. It picks up fairly quickly however, and Clark's writing style is witty and interesting. Recommended to anyone with an interest in politics.
Old 10-02-2010, 23:08   #354
God Member

"The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution", Denis Dutton. Fascinating read which attacks a lot of theories concerning art.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 18:41   #355

Alone in Berlin, by Hans Fallada. A story set in Berlin in 1940.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 18:59   #356
Senior Member+

Dance and Skylark (Fifty years with Alastair Sim) by Naomi Sim.

This is the second book ive read about Alastair Sim, this ones by his wife Naomi, which i suppose is as near to an Autobiography as we would ever get about this very private man.

I usually like to read both a Biography and an Autobiography of any subject i'm interested in, then you can get a true balance of what the person was like.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 22:31   #357
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Since last entry 2 information books on German fighter Squadrons that flew from the old war time Airfield down the road here, "Jagdgescwader 7 Nowotny" & "Jagdgeswader 53 Pik As" the former being Jets & the latter 109's.

finished them the other day & am now back onto another R.A.Salvatore book "the Pirate king" Transitions book two, same Fantasy characters as the other one just different storyline.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 04:19   #358
God Member

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman: Laurence Sterne. A Cock and Bull story, but a fun read .... it begins ab ovo.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 06:20   #359

Black Sunday by Thomas Harris, wasn't sure when I started it but I'm really enjoying it now.
Old 21-02-2010, 13:34   #360
God Member

'Revelation' by C J Sansome....a lovely read. A hunchback lawyer turned detective on the trail of a serial killer in Tudor London...plot, suspense, description...all suberb. Fourth book so far in the series.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..