Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2007, 18:29   #1

Cafe set up????

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about starting your own cafe or something similar? My mother is bored of her job and would like to do this as she as wanted to do so for quiet some time now. She doesnt know what the first steps are so just looking to see if anyone could shed any light on to the topic? If you could there would a be a free full english in it for you.
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2007, 18:34   #2
God Member

Re: Cafe set up????

believe me Aleks, its not even worth going there
Old 20-09-2007, 18:35   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about starting your own cafe or something similar? My mother is bored of her job and would like to do this as she as wanted to do so for quiet some time now. She doesnt know what the first steps are so just looking to see if anyone could shed any light on to the topic? If you could there would a be a free full english in it for you.
Don't the banks have some facilities for advice on setting up small businesses ? All about research too I suppose, and location. Sorry, can't help any further .. best of luck to yer mum.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 18:37   #4
Senior Member+

Has she any catering experience? ( other than making your meals !)
Would suggest that sorting out the finance and property would be the first things to do; maybe draw up a business plan. I would think you would need basic food hygiene certificate and probably lots more besides.
Old 20-09-2007, 18:51   #5

She does have exp yes, but one thing i said was what about going mobile with a trailer type cafe and there seem to be many more advantages such as you can do business on industrial estates where most of the business is and you could also do canrivals etc
Old 20-09-2007, 19:56   #6
Senior Member+

Quick Google.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/startingup.pdf

Nationwide Caterers Association

HTH
Old 20-09-2007, 20:17   #7
God Member

my mates used to have the olympus on union street in accy, the loss they had was unbelievable, tell her not to bother
Old 20-09-2007, 20:36   #8
Senior Member+

Just because your mates never made a go of it doesn't mean anyone else can't.
Accy could do with a decent cafe, I used to like the Olympus but to be fair it wasn't the cleanest of establishments and was pricey too even back then !
Old 20-09-2007, 20:41   #9
God Member

my 'mates' as you put it made a go of it for 25 years
Old 20-09-2007, 20:48   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
my 'mates' as you put it
Surely it's as YOU put it?
Old 20-09-2007, 20:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Just because your mates never made a go of it doesn't mean anyone else can't.
Accy could do with a decent cafe, I used to like the Olympus but to be fair it wasn't the cleanest of establishments and was pricey too even back then !
Others can have a go your right but its a little bit unfair to say they never made a go of it as they were there for some time and alot long than most shops in accrington have been.
Old 20-09-2007, 20:52   #12
God Member

Aleks was asking for advice, that was my piece of advice...is it still a free country?
Old 20-09-2007, 21:04   #13
Senior Member+

No need to get snappy; you called them your " mates" in your post; you implied that they had made heavy losses ; that would seem to me like weren't running a very successful business.
It's a difficult trade no doubt, maybe Alek's mum has some new ideas and a positive attitude.

( Aleks; in the sense of " having made a go of it " I meant making a profit )
Old 20-09-2007, 21:24   #14
God Member

wasn't teh loss due to a dodgy solicitor and nowt to do with the cafe trade? Thats what I recall from teh Observer articles they had.

If it did make a loss all 25 years then you have to question their sanity of keeping going that long......

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 21:27   #15
Senior Member+

Yes I remembered that too, something to do with the lease or permission to use the building as a cafe. I didn't want to stick my head over the parapet again though !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..