Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2008, 08:17   #1
Senior Member+

Dyeing Polyester

Can polyester be dyed?? I bought a dress that I am meant to be wearing for a wedding tomorrow and have noticed a stain on it, I bought it about 6 weeks ago so cant just take it back. I have tried EVERYTHING to get the stain out (was up until the early hours of this morning trying) The only option it to either buy another one, and it took me long enough to find this and cost enough so doubt I will actually be able to find one plus afford to buy a new one today so am trying to solve the problem another way. Would I be able to dye it?? It is 100% polyester (like a liner with a chiffon overskirt type thing) It is fuscia in colour at the moment, thought I could possibly dye it black.

Does anyone know if this is possible?? and how long would it take to do if I got the dye (think they still sell them on the inside market)

Would appreciate any help as I am at the point of tears now, really struggled finding a dress that suited me so am really desperate as the wedding is tomorrow

Thanks all
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2008, 08:37   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Dyeing Polyester

Oh poor Emzy, what bad luck you are having with this wedding, hair now dress.

Usually, the answer is NO... as polyester dyeing could be inherent i.e in the yarn, not dyed after. I would go down to the dry cleaners Norths on Abbey Street and have a word with them ... they will know definitely if they can see the dress. Could be a chance they might be able to do a quick turn round on dry cleaning too, if they feel the mark will come out.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 08:50   #3
Senior Member+

Am trying everything now, its in the wash AGAIN, have tried allsorts to get it out, this is my last shot. I doubt that I can afford a new dress, and its just all going wrong lol, tried to be so organized and sort my money out so I had a bit to spend at the wedding (which already stands me at a small fortune for me) and it just isnt working, think if i didnt laugh about it i really would cry. I thought that about polyester, not being able to be dyed, but just thought i'd double check (its a number of years since I worked in a lab so not always sure if I have remembered everything correctly lol) Keeping my fingers crossed now that this last chance has worked if not I will take it dry cleaners and try and hunt for a new cheap dress, but that wont be easy with the boys, dont think they are over keen on clothes shopping, that and i cant get the pram in all the shops lol, its just all going wrong
Old 22-08-2008, 09:29   #4
God Member

What size are you?
If you are 14/16 I can lend you this one
Handkerchief hem, tie dyed style, shades of blue, lightweight cotton,boat shaped neckline, full skirt,long sleeves with frill syle cuffs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (10.7 KB, 19 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 10:07   #5
I am Banned

If polyester can't be dyed, then why doesn't the stain come out, where abouts is the stain, couldn't you put some adornment on it to cover it and make it look the part.
Only asking, being male I don't fully understand the agony of new dresses and such.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 10:23   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Emzy do we have to start calling you Monica?
Old 22-08-2008, 10:32   #7
Senior Member+

Panic over (thank god) managed to get it out with nail varnish remover

Thanks all for your help

Am happy again

Many thanks for your kind offer though margaret

Last edited by emzy; 22-08-2008 at 10:38.
Old 22-08-2008, 13:47   #8

Polyester is basically a plastic. It is dyed in factories in machines which are pressure sealed and where the temperature inside goes to 130C.

So it is not a great idea to try to dye it at home. I was happy to hear that you got the stain out with nail polish remover. I was going to suggest one of the cleaners based on delimonene, a solvent taken from orange peel oils.
bone65536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 13:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone65536 View Post
Polyester is basically a plastic. It is dyed in factories in machines which are pressure sealed and where the temperature inside goes to 130C.

So it is not a great idea to try to dye it at home. I was happy to hear that you got the stain out with nail polish remover. I was going to suggest one of the cleaners based on delimonene, a solvent taken from orange peel oils.
Wow! Beats my salt idea lol. Your donna be a handy person to speak to on here by the looks of it lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 12:26   #10
Senior Member+

Polyester - most people are not aware this was actually discovered here in Accrington - down at Broad Oak Printworks.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:53   #11
Senior Member+

what had made the mark in the first place?
(im glad you got it sorted x)

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 15:24   #12
Senior Member+

I think it was the print off a carrier bag (containing all my accessories) that was hung on the same hanger, there was a suspicious looking smudge on it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..