Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2008, 10:33   #1
God Member

fish oil for kids

Anyone else give their children this?

I read an article aboout how this improves concentration, behaviour and ultimately intelligence in children.(Maybe it can stop them inheriting the annoying habit of spelling teh wrong )

When Siobhan was ill last week I bought her some childrens multivits as she was a bit off her food and they contain fish oil as well as other vits etc. Now she is better and taking the study I read about into account Julie and I are thinking of making it a regular "sweetie"(They are orange flavour chews).

Just wondered if anyone else did it?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2008, 11:06   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: fish oil for kids

I used to give my kids multivitamins, ...they ended up getting more colds

I say if ya giving them the right foods they dont need vitamins, but i suppose if their appetite has gone then yeh its a good idea, otherwise, i just make sure they have plenty of fruit and veg and the right meat etc...
Old 16-07-2008, 11:16   #3
God Member

As you give Siobhan a healthy and varied diet doubt very much she needs any supplements. Seems to me she is getting all the nutrients she needs in her food.

Were the fish oil capsules not suggested for children with behavourial problems??? Seem to recall reading somewhere that they help with concentration.
Old 16-07-2008, 11:31   #4
God Member

When Reece was in his first years at primary school i used to give him something called EFALEX which is a combination of fish oil and evening primrose oils

the evening primrose oils helped with his behaviour at school and it also contained fish oils which are known to help the brain

he used to take 2 of these a day and it cost me £7.99 a week for a bottle of the capsules from Holland and Barrett
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 05:59   #5

I'm not sure about the benefits of fish oil for kids (although my mum used to give me Haliborange tablets as a child, and my spelling's better than most).

As an adult, I now take Omega 3 Pure Fish Oil supplements for the benefits to joints and circulation. Although there are also claims that fish oils are effective in; reducing high blood pressure, reducing inflamation in cases of ulcerative colitis, reducing the risk of breast cancer, reducing breathing difficulties and other problems in asthma patients.

What is there to lose?
Old 29-08-2008, 08:28   #6
God Member

Food aint what it used to be - vitamin and mineral supplements give your body what food used to do

Why do we need nutritional supplements or food supplements?
Since the 1920s, Western Governments have known that the majority of our food crops have been grown on mineral-depleted soils, which makes them not only more susceptible to plant diseases and insect attack, but also nutritionally fairly worthless.

In addition to this, animal feeds have changed from the natural foods they eat in the wild to highly processed, chemical laden concoctions that are designed to maximise growth rate, muscle mass and therefore value whilst minimising cost and the time it takes to turn them into a healthy profit. The result is meat that is dangerously high in chemicals and totally lacking in the natural nutritional elements that have kept us healthy for so long (until the 20th century!).

If this weren't bad enough, the modern reliance on pharmaceutical medicine to remove all symptoms of disease instantly has led us away from the traditional cures that sought to replace what was missing in the body. Indeed, many modern drugs, such as diuretics actually make us lose the very minerals we require for health at an increased rate.

As a consequence, virtually everyone in the Western World (many "primitive cultures" are much better nourished than we are) needs to supplement their diet to a greater or lesser extent

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-08-2008 at 08:31.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 09:15   #7
Resident Waffler

I wish we could get away from all the chemical additives and rubbish in our food. I really object to being forcefed with chemicals. Things like adding flouride to water supplies bugs me too. We should be able to get all the nutrients we need from a balanced diet but we can't. When I was a child my Mum gave me Haliborange too but I don't know if it did me any good.

As a family do you eat oily fish? They always used to say fish was brain food but it's the oily fish rather than the battered chip shop stuff or fish fingers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 10:57   #8
Resting in Peace

I think that if you get a good balanced diet you shouldn't need supliments of any kind, There was a doctore on BBC Breakfast was saying the exact same thing this morning, there is no need for all these expensive addatives
Old 29-08-2008, 11:35   #9
I am Banned

Hi Ian i think the only think I would be concerned about is the source of the fish make sure that the oil is pharmacutical grade - not from fish that swim seas with high levels of mercury.
But as others have said - the diet you give her always sounds really good ( better than mine lol)
perhaps more oily fish may help - but if you see a difference through the vitamins - and you seem to be doing then i cant see the harm in carrying on .
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 12:05   #10
God Member

Even if you eat your 5 a day, that is no guarantee that you are getting all your body needs.
The problem begins with soil.
The soil dictates the mineral and vitamin content of the food we eat, and the animals we eat that have grazed.

Unless you grow your own fruits and vegetables and eat them raw the same day you pick them, you're not getting what nature intended.
Although they look great and taste fresh you just don't know what's in there.

Soil Depletion -- Continuous cropping; fertilization with only nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium; soil erosion; and other factors have decreased the minerals in topsoil. We are now growing large amounts of food that in many cases are lacking some of the basic minerals needed to sustain life. Lacking vitamins, the body can make some use of minerals, but lacking minerals, vitamins are useless!

Transport & Storage -- Dr. Michael Colgan tested oranges that had been picked the same day, and their vitamin C content was 180 mg. He then tested oranges from the same grower which had been in storage at a local supermarket. They looked and tasted the same, but the vitamin C content had dropped to zero. How much vitamin C is in your orange?

Old 29-08-2008, 12:51   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

me nan always said it was good fer me, i thought it was repulsive fer me, but i took it to humour her, cos she was me best mate. shes now long gone n its a long time since i took any.
Old 29-08-2008, 13:08   #12
God Member

I give Ellie a multivitamin with Omega 3 one of the chewable ones even though she has a good diet its one way of guaranteeing she's getting the vitamins and does no harm.
Old 29-08-2008, 13:16   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I give Ellie a multivitamin with Omega 3 one of the chewable ones even though she has a good diet its one way of guaranteeing she's getting the vitamins and does no harm.
I agree with Grego, even if their diet is good theres no harm in making sure... Ty has Haliborange omega-3 fish oil capsules with vitamins a,c,d and e (these are on special offer at asda atm as well )

Some of them taste really nasty but ty likes this one... when he was little i used to buy the liquid one and put it in his drink cos it was the only way he would take it..

Im gunna speak to my midwife and ask if its ok for me to take fish oils because fish is one of the things i cant eat atm

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 14:53   #14

I'm sure I read a report where it stated that when you take vitamin tablets, the body gets lay and so 'unable' to get the nutrients from the normal diet, and so if the vitamins were stopped, the body found it harder to cope with?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 15:13   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
I'm sure I read a report where it stated that when you take vitamin tablets, the body gets lay and so 'unable' to get the nutrients from the normal diet, and so if the vitamins were stopped, the body found it harder to cope with?
That- I have never heard of, and who says that the food you eat is nutritious in the first place?

Despite an (allegedly)healthy - organic - home cooked - pesticide/herbicide free food intake, you can still get vitamin and mineral deficiencies........because-
1. the food has been grown on mineral depleted soil
(or what an animal eaten has been grown on mineral depleted soil)
2. your body's capacity to absorb them is impaired by prescription drugs
- even by something as apparantly harmless as antacid (Zantak)

Vitamins are useless without minerals

United Nations 1992 Earth Summit Report documents declining mineral values in farm and range soils over past 100 years:
North America 85% South America 76% Europe 72% Asia 76% Africa 74% Australia 55%

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-08-2008 at 15:17.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..