Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 16:25   #31
God Member

Re: Has Tradition And Respect Gone From The Old Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm a big hugger.

yeah you've always given me a hug n kiss when i've seen you at the meets and its luffly

i'm always giving Reecey hugs and kisses, infact thats the first thing he does when he gets up in the morning, he comes into my room, gets in bed with me and we have a huggle, he does get a bit embarrased when i shout out the front door 'LOVE YOU' when he's off to school

i kiss and cuddle my nephews and nieces too, i also tell my mates I LOVEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUU when i'm drunk too, ask chav, he was well freaked out when i did it to him once lol
Old 04-05-2008, 16:34   #32
God Member

I second what Onlyme said earlier. since my mum in law died my hubbys side of the family dont see each other very often and the family gatherings are few and far between.
I dont really have a close family either so i do make a big pont with my own children to get them all together as often as possible. Its not always easy because they are all grown now and have thier own lives to live but I will insist several times a year they all get togather, I just hope they do it when im no longer around .

I also make a big point of the hugs thing even with my boys, and they really dont mind either, infact even at their ages now they all quite often and openly come to me and give me a big hug and kiss. I think its quite important and hope they can pass it on to their kids.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:38   #33
Passed away 25-11-09

I know people in London have the reputation for being aloof and unfriendly but, I have found, this does not apply to the East Enders (I mean the real ones - not the TV programme). I've spent a fair bit of time in London over the years, my husband worked there quite a lot and my son and his wife lived there for 4 years, and I always found people from the East End very friendly and easy to get along with.

Families. I was close to my parents, even though I never lived physically close to them, and I have remained close to my brothers despite them (and me) now being old codgers. I can't imagine ever "falling out" with either of them and certainly not with my grown up children, all 3 of whom are as unlike in temperament as chalk, cheese and chips but get on well with each other as well as with me. I tell them and my grandchildren that I love them and we hug from time to time.
Old 04-05-2008, 16:53   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

will qualify me remarks about unfriendly londoners, after reading West Enders post, i agree in regard to eastenders, love em to bits, have many friends from that area, i lived in south london (elephant n castle) and made em based on me experiance there.
Old 04-05-2008, 17:13   #35
Junior Member+

Well all ive heard so far is a 50/50 view on the tradition respect matter, which to me is good.. ive heard the mention of huggs and kissies towards other family members which leads me to say i never kissed or hugged or remember kissing a family member includeing my mum ever,, that was until i was about 30 and id seen more warmer familys,,, then i made a move to hugg my mother and kiss her and god forgive but i hugged my dad ( it felt good ),, i posted this tradition and respect value about familys not being as close as they used to be,,, as my wife is romanian and ive been married to her for five years,, we,ve just moved back to accy from fair and far, and she thought being more near the family in accy would make a world of diffrence,,, but now she cant work out y my family never come and visit,,,,, of course im used to it ( its all in one word " COLD " )...
i think diffrent now because of my wife and her annouence towards my kin,,, as every time ive been to romania my wifes family are never far apart....and yes i hugg and kiss my children all the time and will always till there old and one good reason is y is because i dont remember it,, thanks for your comments and veiws.. p.s i dont mean to be a pain towards anyone but my family are irish and catholic,, but as people said in the 70,s and 80,s i can remember lots of us around at our grannys all the time,,, but not anymore
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 23:41   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
will qualify me remarks about unfriendly londoners, after reading West Enders post, i agree in regard to eastenders, love em to bits, have many friends from that area, i lived in south london (elephant n castle) and made em based on me experiance there.
That's the thing, most of the Knees Up Mother Brown, Doin' the Lambeth Walk, type of Londoners, are very friendly, and have a great sense of humour. It's the transient ones who are dour.

At work I had an eighty four year old cleaner called Mae West, and not taller than four foot ten in her stocking feet. She was an absolute gem, and we became good mates, plus she was always bringing me in tinned meat she was given by Southwark Council, which she thought tasted funny.

She's ninety three now, and has eventually retired, though she still shops for the 'old folk' in her neighbourhood, and goes out to the pub every Friday night...with her older sisters!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 23:52   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

met some older n me folk in a boozer in bethnal green a couple of years ago,when in with me son (exhibition) was just up the road, me lad is only mid 30s but plus being a scruffy arty type. they didn't differentiate n we had a great couple of hours n a good laugh in their company.
Old 05-05-2008, 00:08   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's the thing, most of the Knees Up Mother Brown, Doin' the Lambeth Walk, type of Londoners, are very friendly, and have a great sense of humour. It's the transient ones who are dour.

At work I had an eighty four year old cleaner called Mae West, and not taller than four foot ten in her stocking feet. She was an absolute gem, and we became good mates, plus she was always bringing me in tinned meat she was given by Southwark Council, which she thought tasted funny.

She's ninety three now, and has eventually retired, though she still shops for the 'old folk' in her neighbourhood, and goes out to the pub every Friday night...with her older sisters!
Your havin a laff........

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I dont really have a close family either so i do make a big pont with my own children to get them all together as often as possible. Its not always easy because they are all grown now and have thier own lives to live but I will insist several times a year they all get togather, I just hope they do it when im no longer around .

Ur not joking there are ya, except you make it sound like we get a choice lol.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
When I worked in London we stayed in near the Oval cricket ground (Del Boys patch) and we regularly walked down to the Old Kent Road cashy. Went in the Elephant occasionally, but used to spend a lot of time in the Thomas A'Becket, the boxers pub with the gym over the top where Henry Cooper trained when he was boxing. The walls were covered with photo's of a lot of the old fighters, and I have a feeling its still there as well
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
i THINK ALOT OF TRIDITION AND RESPECT HAS GONE FROM OUR BRITISH CULTURE OR (ENGLAND )FROM THE OLD DAYS..
FAMILYS ARE SOME WHAT LUCKY TO GET TO GEATHER, OF COURSE NOT FOR EVERY ONE OF US, BUT I SEE A DECLINE HOW FAMILYS USED TO OPERATE THAN WOT THEY DO TODAY.
ALSO TALKING TO THE NEXT DOOR TO YOU IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE...
REALLY TO SUM IT UP I BELEIVE PLACES LIKE EASTERN EUROPE AND OF COURSE OTHER COUNTRYS STILL HOLD THERE FAMILYS CLOSE TO GETHER WITH RESPECT AND TRADITION.
I WISH THE ENGLISH WERE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THERE FAMILYS INSTEAD OF THEM SELFS,,, I KNOW WE LIVE IN THE RAT RACE AND IT CAN BE DIFFICULT TO MANAGE TO GET SOME OR ALLTHE FAMILY TOGEATHER AT TIMES, BUT I TRUELY THINK PEOPLE SHOULD MAKE MORE EFFORT,,, IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO THIS PLEASE DO ID BE MORE THAN DELITED
I think education has clearly taken a step back at some point

I actually think there is more respect but less tradition. Take my example from yesterday, when leaving a shop I now automatically step back for gentlemen to let them pass through doorways first. This isn't really how things are traditionally, the male would normally open the door for the female. Now I think the genders have equal respect for each other which is really nice. The fact that that goes against tradition doesn't matter, because a lot of tradition doesn't involve that sort of equal footing but more emphasis on gender roles.

I think most teenagers in society are extremely respectful of the elderly and would always open a door or whatever for them, same goes for helping women with prams or people in wheelchairs and anything else which may impair the ability to do things with ease.

In regards to families, yes the traditional family has changed because it isn't just the nuclear family which is accepted in society these days. Within the family unit I think less emphasis is on love and affection because there is so much pressure on the adults of the family to work and provide education and food and such for their families. The elderly members of the family don't often live within the family unit but in their own homes or in care homes now, most likely because the male and the female of a family unit generally go out to work now, not just the male, so there would be nobody there to care for them and such.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong in respect to manners these days. Even the typical chav would not stand and watch somebody struggle and would say please and thank you and all the rest of it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 20:05   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think education has clearly taken a step back at some point

I actually think there is more respect but less tradition. Take my example from yesterday, when leaving a shop I now automatically step back for gentlemen to let them pass through doorways first. This isn't really how things are traditionally, the male would normally open the door for the female. Now I think the genders have equal respect for each other which is really nice. The fact that that goes against tradition doesn't matter, because a lot of tradition doesn't involve that sort of equal footing but more emphasis on gender roles.

I think most teenagers in society are extremely respectful of the elderly and would always open a door or whatever for them, same goes for helping women with prams or people in wheelchairs and anything else which may impair the ability to do things with ease.

In regards to families, yes the traditional family has changed because it isn't just the nuclear family which is accepted in society these days. Within the family unit I think less emphasis is on love and affection because there is so much pressure on the adults of the family to work and provide education and food and such for their families. The elderly members of the family don't often live within the family unit but in their own homes or in care homes now, most likely because the male and the female of a family unit generally go out to work now, not just the male, so there would be nobody there to care for them and such.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong in respect to manners these days. Even the typical chav would not stand and watch somebody struggle and would say please and thank you and all the rest of it.
Sorry, but I do disagree with above highlighted. Many a time i have been in town, had people pushing past me, sqeezing through, tutting sighing and making comments and many (not just teenagers though!!) just stand back and watch as i struggle trying to manouver a twin pram through a doorway whilst holding the door open myself and grumble because they have no choice but to wait
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 20:19   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

Serious question. Do you actually ever go outdoors ?
Old 05-05-2008, 20:34   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Serious question. Do you actually ever go outdoors ?
That is one hell of a question Dave and one I completly agree with...........If you confront these people (as has been reported in the press for the last 12 months)......you finish up dead.
They will not give up their seat to a pregnant woman or a pensioner who is obviously struggling and even have the cheek to put their feet on the opposite seat on train or bus and challenge you if you complain.
The worlds gone mad?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 20:43   #45

i think im close to my family ; everyone i know say im wrong cuz my kids come first then my family ;then my husband ; dose anyone else think like i do; or am i the only one ;
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..