Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49   #1

help !!

need help i have aplied for a job and sent my cv by email they cant open it . i have done my file on microsoft works they have told me to send it as a word docuument is there away of converting my file to word ?or will i have to start again thanks anyone
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
need help i have aplied for a job and sent my cv by email they cant open it . i have done my file on microsoft works they have told me to send it as a word docuument is there away of converting my file to word ?or will i have to start again thanks anyone

Copy and paste should work (im not very technical so thats how i would have done it)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58   #3
God Member

Word can open them, clearly teh company don't know Word very well. But in order to help you get the job.....

Download and install Open Office, open your CV in that ( it should automagically work out its Works), then click Save as , choose Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP in the "File type" selection.

Job done and another success for Open Source software!

TBH If I was you I would switch to Open Office for it all, Works is a very cut down Office suite with poor compatibility even with Microsofts other products.

If you struggle email it to me and I'll do it for you

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:00   #4
Senior Member+

is this the same prob linds had the other day?

as posted in this thread?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...der-39226.html

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:15   #5
God Member

similar, there are many different formats that word processors can write the document as. Open Office is able to read and write in many different ones, the others tend to just support their own format and basic ones such as plain text (.txt) and rich text(.rtf).

where the confusion comes is that users often don't realise that even Word can read many different formats but you have to tell it what sort it is hence the request for works being converted when in reality they just need to tell word what format it is in.

Open Office allows you to set what default format to use. odt is its own format( there is a movement to try and get an open standard across all word processors but i wouldn't hold your breath). Even I accept that currently 99% of people use Word format so have my version of Open Office set to use Office standard unless I say otherwise.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:17   #6
Senior Member+

my old pc had works on it and i worked for ages on an assignment, took it into college the day it was due, tried to print it out and it was all random symbols!!!
i was well pee'd off!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 09-05-2008, 12:18   #7
God Member

it was perfectly recoverable, if the IT dept had a clue they could have sorted it in 2 mins for you.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:22   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
it was perfectly recoverable, if the IT dept had a clue they could have sorted it in 2 mins for you.
not the most helpful people in the world!there was about 5 blokes sitting in a room.. i had to go in there once and they all just stared, it was wierd

aah....lovely burnley college! i enjoyed my time there sooo much

but the IT dept at nelson and colne college are ace!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:24   #9
God Member

they are geeks, they aren't used to women actually wanting to talk to them!!!!!

What you should have done is fluttered your eyelids and offered them a date if they could have fixed it. You would have been nearly trampled in teh rush to help!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:26   #10

thanks everyone sorted now cheers
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
they are geeks, they aren't used to women actually wanting to talk to them!!!!!

What you should have done is fluttered your eyelids and offered them a date if they could have fixed it. You would have been nearly trampled in teh rush to help!

that wont work at nelson and colne just in case anyones planning on trying it

Old 09-05-2008, 12:31   #12
God Member

good news

glad your sorted.

Old 09-05-2008, 17:07   #13
Senior Member+

Cheers for helping me too !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..