Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 19:05   #16
Caz
God Member

Re: Help - does anyone know the answer

"You may find fractions complicated "

cheeky sod, might just report you for being insulting!
I meant you complicated the whole question as the answer was obvious
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2008, 19:09   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Help - does anyone know the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
If fractions come into it the porter would have paid them £1.66 each
It stated that the bellboy couldn’t figure out how to spilt £5 evenly between three men so he must have been thinking in decimals especially as our currency is decimal currency. You are trying to mix theory with practice. You can have one and one third pounds in theory but you cannot do so in practice. You could in the old money of pounds shillings and pence though.

The art of working in fractions seems to be a dying art these days. Decimals are much simpler to use especially in mental arithmetic. But even then do people understand what £8.33r means when dividing £25 by 3 using decimals? Or dividing £5 by 3 to get 1.66r or 1.6666666667. Multiply 1.6666666667 by 3 and you get 5.0000000001.

I could have done the explanation in decimals but would have ended up with £1.98 and that is not £2. I suppose that I could have gone to explain where the missing 2p was but it was simpler to use fractions.
Old 06-09-2008, 19:11   #18
God Member

Thank you sir, please mark my report "must try harder next time"

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 19:14   #19
Caz
God Member

You really are beginning to annoy me now jambutty, but you insult people's intelligence and think that's ok...yet you can't even take a joke. you really are a pompous old goat
Old 06-09-2008, 19:14   #20
Caz
God Member

Report that if you wish!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 19:18   #21
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
"You may find fractions complicated "

cheeky sod, might just report you for being insulting!
I meant you complicated the whole question as the answer was obvious
There was nothing cheeky or insulting in suggesting that you may find fractions complicated. The operative word there being MAY.

I suppose that to cover myself all ends up I should have put, “You may or may not find fractions complicated, I don’t know your level a mathematical acumen etc. etc. etc.”

But report away if you must.
Old 06-09-2008, 19:19   #22
Caz
God Member

erm no... I'm not as petty as you!
Old 06-09-2008, 19:22   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
You really are beginning to annoy me now jambutty, but you insult people's intelligence and think that's ok...yet you can't even take a joke. you really are a pompous old goat
So just because you say that I am beginning to annoy you I am supposed to do what?

Is that the intelligence that can only resort to name calling?
Old 06-09-2008, 19:24   #24
Caz
God Member

I speak as I find....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..