Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2008, 13:03   #16
Beacon of light

Re: holidays

I have always fancied New York(but will probably never get there.....US immigration rules, passports etc)....I would love to revisit Hong Kong....and I would go back to OZ in a blink.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2008, 13:24   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: holidays

You’re right, now that you come to mention it, it was the Union Castle Line. It’s an age/memory thing.

The Rena Del Mar was the company flagship after they dumped RMMV Transvaal Castle as the flagship. Or was it the RMMV Pretoria Castle?

Stirling Castle – Transvaal Castle. Grey Funnel Line – HMS Alamein.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stirling Castle.jpg (233.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg TransvaalCastle.jpg (263.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HMS Alamein.jpg (151.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jambutty; 25-05-2008 at 13:27.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 16:22   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
You’re right, now that you come to mention it, it was the Union Castle Line. It’s an age/memory thing.

The Rena Del Mar was the company flagship after they dumped RMMV Transvaal Castle as the flagship. Or was it the RMMV Pretoria Castle?

Stirling Castle – Transvaal Castle. Grey Funnel Line – HMS Alamein.
The Stirling castle has the same livery, but the Transvale Castle looks more lie the Rena Del Mar, I've bean trying to find some photos I have somewhere, but I'm not having to much luck
Old 25-05-2008, 20:09   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: holidays

Going out to SA on the Stirling Castle we had a traditional “Crossing The Line” ceremony.

Where the victim was ‘captured’, tried in King Neptune’s court and the sentence was usually being daubed with flour and water, the odd bottle of tomato ketchup, force fed a tot of rum or whiskey and thrown in the pool where the ‘sharks’ lay in wait to dunk the unfortunate soul three times. On warships you got thrown over the side.

The ‘victims’ were supposed to be in fancy dress. So I got out my sailor’s tropical suit and went as a sailor. Not very imaginative but that’s all I had.

You won’t believe the number of offers I had from women onboard to wash the kit afterwards.

Coming back on the Athlone Castle the ceremony was for kids only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg King Neptune's Court.jpg (120.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg King Neptune's Court1.jpg (94.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg King Neptune's Punishment.jpg (103.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg King Neptune's Punishment1.jpg (83.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg King Neptune's Certificate.jpg (113.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 25-05-2008, 21:22   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

If I had the money it would have to be a cruise round the world. I love the sea and I love travelling. I am going on a 2 week cruise round the Eastern Med next year but I'd love to make it 3 months and call at all the places I'd love to visit.

I'm hoping to go to New York near to Christmas, with my elder daughter, but if it were possible I'd go to the Northern States for several weeks (my 2nd choice) and see all the places that are not on the tourist map. In the 60s we had USAAF neighbours (in Whitby, via RAF Fylingdales) who were from Montana. Martha (who had Native American in her ancestry) grew up on a ranch 10 miles from Miles City, a one-horse town in Custer County, Montana. She told me, in 1968, her parents had only had electricity for 3 years. I wanna go there and see real America, not plastic Florida or Mighty-Dollar NY.

I've seen the pyramids at Giza, in transit from Saudi Arabia, even ridden camel-back round them by moonlight but I'd love to visit Cairo again and then see the Valley of the Kings and sail the length of the Nile - so that's choice number 3.

None of it's going to happen unless I either win the Lottery or my Premium Bonds come up but I can dream, can't I?
Old 26-05-2008, 18:30   #21
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats simple a world cruise 110 days.
great minds think alike
Old 27-05-2008, 08:01   #22
God Member

Following Route 66 in a convertable

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 08:17   #23
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

If I had the money I'd visit England to see my friends cause I sure as hell wouldn't be living here.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 08:25   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
If I had the money I'd visit England to see my friends cause I sure as hell wouldn't be living here.
Where is that then? - (your profile doesnt show it)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 08:53   #25

I love Africa, although I have only been to North Africa so far. I would also like to see the Pyramids and Cairo museum though Egypt is a bit of apain once you get away from the main touristy bits. The other places I would like to go to are New Zealand and that island of Richard Bransons - cant recall its name. After all that I would just stop off somewhere round the Med
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 10:00   #26
God Member

I fancy Switzerland - been once, but for only 3 days, passing through on the way back from Italy.
I got the impression that they are extremely civilised (and rich ), and, as a bonus, the mountain air is clean.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 14:05   #27
Give, give, give member

I'm lucky to have been to most places in the world that I wanted to visit, but I'd like to revisit Florence and East Africa again.

Florence is the most beautiful city I've been to in Italy, and if you go in the Autumn it isn't too crowded and you can imagine your back in the sixteenth century.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 14:24   #28
God Member

Money being no object I would like to go to South Africa and Australia. I have family in both countries and they both look beautiful. For an added bonus I would visit New Zealand after reading about it and seeing pictures in Lettie's blog. It looks so clean and spacious
Old 27-05-2008, 14:27   #29
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Where is that then? - (your profile doesnt show it)
Maybe I didn't make myself clear at the moment I am living in England, but if I could afford it I would be living possibly New Zealand (not really thought about it seriously) so would visit here for holidays.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..