Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2010, 12:45   #1

Ingledene

Can anyone remember a place called Ingledene in the Accrington area?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2010, 17:57   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Ingledene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Can anyone remember a place called Ingledene in the Accrington area?
Hell Jim that rings a bell, bet Walter knows were it was just thought about it, could It be up near what was the old Marlborough club
Old 18-08-2010, 19:03   #3
God Member

I have a vague recollection of a set of gateposts at the entrance to a piece of wasteland, which were inscribed with that name.

The location is the corner of Queens Rd West and Whalley Rd , where the hospital has built a maternity unit.

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that.

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-08-2010 at 19:08.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 19:11   #4
Beacon of light

Margaret, I too have a similar recollection, but my feeling was that it was where the red brick Elderly Mentally Infirm Unit is now.
I can remember the gateposts and the land being over grown for many years. When I was a child I used to go with my Mum to look after the family graves at the Dill Hall cemetery and we used to walk past that place where the gateposts were.
Anyone else out there remember any more details.?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 19:18   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Margaret, I too have a similar recollection, but my feeling was that it was where the red brick Elderly Mentally Infirm Unit is now.
I can remember the gateposts and the land being over grown for many years. When I was a child I used to go with my Mum to look after the family graves at the Dill Hall cemetery and we used to walk past that place where the gateposts were.
Anyone else out there remember any more details.?
I knew it was NHS of some sort, and recall the original plan was for maternity, I suppose it is used for all sorts now.

My vague recollection comes from attending the Girls High school nearby from 1952 to 1958, and so walking past it fairly often.

PS You know how bus stops seem to retain the name of a long since gone landmark for a while after - I remember the bus stop being named 'Ingledene'

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-08-2010 at 19:21.
Old 18-08-2010, 19:35   #6
Beacon of light

We never went on the bus...we always walked.......and my prize for walking instead of going on the bus, was a trip to the shop that is now Cartridge world for a 4d ice cream wafer....it was a sweet shop way back then.
Old 20-08-2010, 13:13   #7

My own recollection to my question--I seem to remember it was the name of a bus-stop in the Dill Hall Lane area.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:36   #8
God Member

It's a pity we don't have any retired bus conductors on the forum.
It is possible that there were two or more 'Ingledenes'.

There was a stop on Dill Hall called 'nurses home' long after the nurses ceased lodging there. I travelled on buses up Dill Hall during the times when there were bus conductors, and I don't recall hearing 'Ingledene' being shouted.

Old 20-08-2010, 14:42   #9
Senior Member+

And ....... do you know, I have to say, I do NOT recall that name at all. If it did exist, maybe not my area of Accrington??????
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 17:51   #10
Resting in Peace

I've definitely heard it before and my first thoughts of it being near the Marlborough club, seems it fit in with the two Margaret's, I had a aunt who lived off by the club and I'm nearly sure my mum used to book Ingledene on the bus, but it is over 50 years ago
Old 20-08-2010, 18:40   #11
Senior Member+

Are some of you not thinking of the remains of a house up Whalley Rd, across from the Hospital, called THE MOUNT?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 18:49   #12
Resting in Peace

I've just googled it and there are 19,400 to trawl through
Old 20-08-2010, 20:07   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Are some of you not thinking of the remains of a house up Whalley Rd, across from the Hospital, called THE MOUNT?
Your right Lizzie that building on the corner on Whalley Rd & Queens Rd West, opposite Cartridge World (formerly a Florists) was know as the Mount, seem to remember the name being included in title of the red brick building, before they turned it into the death house, if you go in there on a stretcher you will come out in a box, both my parents died in that place, and my mother begged me to carry her out, even if it was only as far as the front door.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 20:45   #14
Beacon of light

Was Cartidge World not a sweet shop? The florists is further round the corner on Whalley Road(used to be Gareths for many years).
I remember being taken into the shop that is now Cartridge World and being bought a Walls Ice cream....and all the children fro St Christophers and The Girls high school used to go in there for their sweets.

Yes,the house across from the hospital was called The Mount(in fact I think the Elderly Mentally Infirm Unit still bears this name)....but I'm sure I have seen the name Ingledene on gate posts in that area/vicinity......going to have to rack my brains a bit more.
Old 20-08-2010, 21:29   #15
God Member

The sweet shop was called Calverleys, and cartridge world is there now.
The headmistress Mabel Horne declared it out of bounds, so I went, a nice quiet middle aged chap with glasses owned it an served the sweets.

The red brick NHS place is the Mount now, but both MargaretP and I recall the derelict wasteland site before that building, and obviously there had been a house there at one time because the gateposts were inscribed 'Ingledene' (we both think).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..