Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2006, 14:34   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Is Lettie being ripped off? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I'm just wondering if Sparko & Lettie may have been doing summat on the back seat which resulted in undue wear & tear on the rear springs......
I think you might be right mate. I would also have thought the car would have felt odd to drive if part of the spring is missing. I think I would be asking the Vauxhall stealer if they will be replacing it free as the car has only done a very few miles since she bought it from them. The rear back box i can understand, just.
Old 22-09-2006, 15:12   #17
God Member

I still think you should do as neil suggested and get a free second opinion, springs and shocks are a favourite with women car owners. Shame they don't have to write on the test certifaicate male or female so the fail stats can be compared.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 17:06   #18
Yank in King Art's Court!

Agree with Nail and Chav. Sounds a bit fishy to me. With that low mileage the springs must of been defective (if truly "broken"). What I always do is to ask for any parts that are replaced. That puts the folks on notice that you'll be looking over these parts either yourself or by a mechanics friend. I believe this scares em into honesty.

I'm not sure if laws in England allow this but it's a good way over here to protect against unscrupulous mechanics. Very sad this stuff goes on eh? Good luck and thanks for opening a discussion on this sort of stuff!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 09:00   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We went to Tinker Brook yesterday afternoon and they remembered the car. They were very helpful and explained exactly what was wrong with the spring. The springs on Vauxhalls taper in at the ends and this is a weak point.....you could call it bad design. Sparks has the number for the main Vauxhall head office so that he can have a rant at them... All I can say is that if you have a Corsa, be aware that the springs are of weaker design than other makes of car...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 10:24   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

So it looks like Tealeaf was right, you have broken the rear spring
Old 23-09-2006, 10:44   #21
God Member

Hi Lettie, just been talking to Ginger about this ( cos I hate to see a woman beat )

He says you would know if it had gone because it would clonk everytime you hit a speed hump. Run your hand around the spring, and if it's truly Incomplete you will be able to feel the break in the spring.........

Don't let them get away with it Lettie!!! show em your a woman that knows her cars

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 10:45   #22
God Member

ooooops too late...........

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 11:22   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
ooooops too late...........
WOMEN again.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44   #24

Bring your car to me at LOOKERS Vauxhall Blackburn and i will do a FREE insection and answer any questions you may have.:engsmil:
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31   #25
Filthy / Gorgeous

Thanks for the offer Steve, I have had to get the work done in order to get the car through its MOT. My dad took it in for me whilst I was on hols, but he did ask for the old springs and they are currently in the boot of my car. I haven't looked at them yet because I don't know what I'm looking at, but we know someone who does.

I can't believe that my car would need new springs after only 14,500 miles. The garage tried to fob me off by blaming it on speed bumps but I'm not buying that one. I am not a boy racer who goes over them at warp speed, I am more like 'driving Miss Daisy'.......

I have had several cars and have only needed to replace one set of springs previously. That car had done almost 80,000 miles.

What kind of mileage would you expect to get out of a set of springs???

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41   #26
God Member

Out of interest, how much did they charge you for teh springs?

Then ring rays garage supplies up and ask them how much for a set there.

If you want a recommendation of a decent honest garage then Grange Lane is teh only one i trust to touch my car ( I played with cars and engines since I was 9 and can do most things myself if I can be bothered)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:52   #27
Filthy / Gorgeous

We got some prices for springs before taking the car back in and challenged them with our prices. They were charging twice the price for the springs and fitting than Kwik Fit. Their argument was that they had Vauxhall trained mechanics, our argument was that it is grease monkey work to fit springs and that it is the kind of job that one would give to an apprentice. Their hourly rate for their mechanics is £70!!!!!!!! The mechanic doesn't see that money but that is what they charge their customers.

I'd already paid for the work to be done as I haven't a clue how much these things cost. Sparks went mad when I told him and has had a go at the garage about their costs. I couldn't get a refund because they said it was non-refundable, even though Sparks pointed out that they hadn't properly explained what needed doing and they never gave me a fail certificate for the MOT. The upshot is that I will not be using this garage again and will be taking either Sparks or my dad with me in the future.

Old 05-10-2006, 18:21   #28
Resident Waffler

Well they shot themselves in the foot didn't they because not only have they lost your custom but everyone else who reads this thread. I hate people being ripped off.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 22:42   #29
God Member

Oooo that's made me sooo cross. Hope it comes back and bites em on the bum somehow lettie!!!

I have just had my car serviced and was adamant that I thought my brake pads needed replacing and they were just as adamant they didn't and proved it, lol. In fact all that actually needed doing was both front wipers which I knew but not got round to replacing..

and they did it for about the same price it would have cost me to get them myself!!

So lets hope letties is the last garage horror story we hear on here so RIP vauxhall dealership in accy!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 14:45   #30

Glad you said Accy.:engsmil:

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..