Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2006, 06:35   #1
I am Band

Is Lettie being ripped off? !

Yesterday Lettie took her car, a Vauxhall Corsa, to have its service and MOT, at a local Vauxhall dealership. The car is 4 years old and has only done 17,500 miles, yet it has failed the MOT. The reason given was that it needs 2 new springs replacing on the rear suspension system. I find it incredible that a pair of shock absorbers should fail after such minor use.
Are they just attempting to pull the wool over her eyes because she is a "girly" with no mechanical knowledge of the car, and at the same time extracting a sale for two new shock absorber springs from her?

What is the proceedure for testing the road worthiness of a shock absorber during an MOT test?

Come on you petrol-heads out there, opinions please.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 22-09-2006 at 06:42.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2006, 06:46   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Is Lettie being ripped off? !

Well... as a female driver myself I always make sure that when I take shirley (my cars name) for a service I have someone with mechanical knowledge by my side (usually the hubby) so that they understand i'm not a push over. My advice would be to tell your friend to get a second opinion preferably taking somebody with her who knows at least basics on cars. Good Luck
WiseOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 07:15   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It is not always possible for me to take anybody with me Wiseowl... Sparkologist works and I work. Unfortunately our shifts mean that I cannot always organise him to come with me.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 07:24   #4
Junior Member+

sorry I did'nt take that prospect into consideration before replying. You could however get your partner to take it for you as I find that when it comes to mechanicals most undermine us women more than blokes they seem to think they can fob women off yet when it's a man they assume they know their stuff which puzzles me

Good Luck anyway I hope you get it sorted
WiseOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 08:19   #5
mez
God Member

when i first took my car to the garage i use told them i lived with a mechanic for 18yrs & not to pull the wool over my eyes .....he never has .i have used other garages & yes they do think because your a woman you are clueless about the workings of cars .....our nette always rings me to find out what is wrong with her car before she takes it in ......im 99% right .so garages don't rip her off either ....
Old 22-09-2006, 09:07   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

What exactly did they say it needs, new springs or new shock absorbers?

Have a read of this Lettie. Have you had the work done yet? How much money do they want for the job and how much did they charge for the MOT. If not take it somewhere else for an MOT. The garage just past the railway bridge at Church as you head towards Ossy are honest and fair ( Tinker Brook Garage I think). You could also contact Vauxhall Customer Services and ask them why your car needs new springs after 17,500 miles.
Old 22-09-2006, 09:13   #7
Senior Member+

i would ask them to explain in great detail and what tests they do to find out whats wrong,they dont like confrontation/or questions the mechanics,you have to put them on the spot ask them to show you whats wrong if your not sure and think they are ripping you off go to a different garage,when i used to live in lancashire we used to go to barnes garage next to netto/poundstretcher,they were good,
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 10:18   #8
I am Banned

normaly i would agree but seen as this is a corsaq we are talking about i am not surpised at all

my brother bought 3 corsas from new and every one of them had seripus faults within a week

on one of teh cars teh exhaust system fell clean off at the front as he drove it off the forecourt

my advice would be same as neils and take it somewhere else for a second opinion and if it turns out they were lying to you report them to vauhalls head office

i know somone who took a car for a service at a local vauhall dealership and paid to have the brakes done etc , later on she developed trouble with teh car and took it to a side street mechanic who told her the brakes had never been changed from when they were put on at teh factory and htook extrodinary measures to get them off
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 10:22   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Thanks folks, I haven't had the work done yet, it's due to be done next week. I was told that the rear springs were broken?????? The dealership does not do the M.O.T. testing (or they didn't last year), they take the car to another garage to have it done. Last year it was taken to Tinker Brook but I don't know where they've taken it to this year because they haven't given me or shown me my fail certificate (if there is one). Sparks is going to come with me this afternoon and ask to see the relevant M.O.T. failure documentation. My back box also needs replacing, I had a feeling that it would as I have been able to hear the exhaust blowing for a few months.......I am surprised about the springs though. I bought my last Corsa when it was 3 years old and had it for 6 years and never needed the springs or shocks replacing.. As Sparks said, this car is 4 years old, I've had it from new, it is low mileage only 17,500.......Is it feasable to have 'broken' springs???

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 22-09-2006, 10:28   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Is it feasable to have 'broken' springs???
with all the speed bumps between here and blackburn it wouldnt surprise me especialy those huge ones they have in blackburn the soze of a car and raised about 12 inchs off the ground

i owuldnt use a dealershipeither

my car needed a bracket on the ehaust replacing and perrys wanted £50 to sort it , i bought the part for £10 and kwickfit fitted it for £5
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 10:52   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I was told that the rear springs were broken??????
If a broken spring means snapped, which is the only thing I think it can mean then the car should not be being driven and the Vauxhall stealer would know that. I think its worth a second opinion before you take it elsewhere. Don't the likes of Kwik Fit, National etc do a free suspension check. It would be worth finding out before you go back to the Vauxhall stealer
Old 22-09-2006, 10:54   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Have a look here
Old 22-09-2006, 11:06   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

I have just looked up my M.O.T. test online at the directgov website. It was done at Tinker Brook and says that the nearside rear coil spring is incomplete and that the back box needs to be replaced..... So it looks like it's a legitimate job that needs doing....

Old 22-09-2006, 12:52   #14
Senior Member+

I haven't had a car for a few years now, but i find it quite disturbing that you weren't given a "fail" sheet.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 13:22   #15
God Member

I'm just wondering if Sparko & Lettie may have been doing summat on the back seat which resulted in undue wear & tear on the rear springs......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..