Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 11:13   #31
God Member

Re: Is your School Closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
How do you expect that the "education website" is more up to date than broadcasting via local radio

At 7.30 morning there were in excess of 100 schools who had decided not to open, the information channel is by local radio that is how both schools (via passwords to the radio station) and parents are informed will happen. I'm not aware that it's ever been the expectation that the "education website " was the first point of contact
We were told to listen to Radio Lancashire for news of school closures.

I wouldn't expect there to be updates on the education website.
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2008, 11:18   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Schools should remain open as long as one teacher is there
You're living in a bygone age there, Garinda.

The days are gone when schools opened with one teacher present.

One teacher could not, nor would they be allowed to be in sole charge of 200 children.

It does seem a bit silly at first thought that the schools are closed when we did not get the snow but some places did. I believe Rossendale and Bacup had it bad this morning and if the teachers are coming from a distance and can't get their cars out then that's that.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You're living in a bygone age there, Garinda.

The days are gone when schools opened with one teacher present.

One teacher could not, nor would they be allowed to be in sole charge of 200 children.

It does seem a bit silly at first thought that the schools are closed when we did not get the snow but some places did. I believe Rossendale and Bacup had it bad this morning and if the teachers are coming from a distance and can't get their cars out then that's that.
no thats pathetic, never heard of a bus service, i used it back in late 80s early 90s when i could not get me car up bamford crescent, even walked from yon to Blythes church a couple of times to get to work. thats not a bygone age Lilly.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:07   #34
Senior Member+

i can never remember school being closed
for bad weather or boilers breaking down
i seem to remember some pretty awful snowy days
i think we had to wear WELLINGTONS and Walk all the way from
laneside to st johns
and then the Fatherless ones made us go to school in the snow
wearing long pants all the way to st christophers
me mum and dad musthave been real cruel not to have a car to at least try and take us

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:13   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no thats pathetic, never heard of a bus service, i used it back in late 80s early 90s when i could not get me car up bamford crescent, even walked from yon to Blythes church a couple of times to get to work. thats not a bygone age Lilly.
A teacher in sole charge of 200 children is something from a bygone age.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
A teacher in sole charge of 200 children is something from a bygone age.
agree wi that, but its pathetic to me if only 1 can get there, as west ender said weve become a nation of wimps.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:22   #37
Senior Member+

Wonder how many teachers who couldnt make it in to school will be out christmas shopping instead?

I still thing its pathetic that in todays day and age a bit of snow closes schools & colleges.

Wonder if the Job Centre closed.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:22   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree wi that, but its pathetic to me if only 1 can get there, as west ender said weve become a nation of wimps.
We have.

Forced into it, sadly, by rule this and regulation that.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:28   #39
Resting in Peace

I think us older ones are being a little unfair on our younger generation of parents with children of school age.

Years ago, very few people had cars and primary school children were usually entered into primary school on catchment area rather than choice. The car made it easier for parents to get their younger children to school say up the Great Harwood rather than Clayton where they would live. I have no objection to school runners for primary school children in these circumstances.

Problem now is that due to the decreasing industry locally, we have had to move out further for employment, and the motor car has allowed us this. Not many people worked over 10 miles away, if they did, they had the local transport sussed.

Sure Entwisi would not be working in Cheshire daily if he did not have his own wheels. By the time, you have found out the transport route to your company, would be nearly the end of the working day. !

Of course I always walked to school ... Peel Park only a few hundred yards away, and the High School was within walking distance for me from William Street. Lots of my contemporaries at secondary school came from outlying districts like Hapton, Belthorn, etc., and have memories of them not being able to turn up for school due to the buses not being able to make it through.

The majority of teaches were usually local too, and did not look for posts far away from home.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:31   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I think us older ones are being a little unfair on our younger generation of parents with children of school age.

Years ago, very few people had cars and primary school children were usually entered into primary school on catchment area rather than choice. The car made it easier for parents to get their younger children to school say up the Great Harwood rather than Clayton where they would live. I have no objection to school runners for primary school children in these circumstances.

Problem now is that due to the decreasing industry locally, we have had to move out further for employment, and the motor car has allowed us this. Not many people worked over 10 miles away, if they did, they had the local transport sussed.

Sure Entwisi would not be working in Cheshire daily if he did not have his own wheels. By the time, you have found out the transport route to your company, would be nearly the end of the working day. !

Of course I always walked to school ... Peel Park only a few hundred yards away, and the High School was within walking distance for me from William Street. Lots of my contemporaries at secondary school came from outlying districts like Hapton, Belthorn, etc., and have memories of them not being able to turn up for school due to the buses not being able to make it through.

The majority of teaches were usually local too, and did not look for posts far away from home.
Good post, Katex.

I agree with what you've said.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:52   #41
Senior Member+

My childs school was closed, Hassy High and I am glad it was after the fiasco we had on Tuesday when they shut and trying to get her back to Accy.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:56   #42
God Member

Well Huncoat Primary has been in business as usual......well done Mr Price
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 13:02   #43
God Member

Sacred Heart is open for business
Old 04-12-2008, 13:46   #44

I can't understand why Rhyddings has closed!! St Pauls Primary is only around the corner, and they are open!!

So is St Nicolas' on Dill Hall!

Gail xxxx

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 14:02   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Wonder if the Job Centre closed.
Probably not, but at least with fewer people able to make it down there it would have probably had a fresher smell about it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..