Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 00:38   #1
land of hope and glory

jalapenoes?

i have had stuffed, raw on pizza everyway you can how come the buggers are so hot?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2005, 06:48   #2
God Member

Re: jalapenoes?

The substances responsible for the spicy hotness flavour of the chilli is called capsaicin. Four years ago, Dr. David Julius and associates at the University of California at San Francisco showed that capsaicin goes and sits at one of the taste receptor protein molecules inside our mouth, and generates a sensation of intense heat and some pain. Laboratory studies by Drs. J. R. Mason, L. Clark and associates had shown that capsaicin has the property of repelling or poisoning mammals but not birds. (On an aside, we humans are so quirky. Capsaicin is meant to repel us. Yet we desire it and find vicarious pleasure in eating it, and spicing our food with it. Such acts of living dangerously, or machismo, is a mild form of showing off, or advertising to the opposite sex that you are so strong and healthy that you can withstand such punishing acts. The conclusion you would like drawn out of this is that your genes are superior and that it is worth breeding with you). This selectivity in toxicity has been explained by ecologists as a form of survival strategy termed "directed deterrence". Capsaicin deters animals that tend to eat off the whole fruit-pulp, seed and all. On the other hand, birds eat the fruit and drop off or disperse the seeds. This is precisely what the chilli plant would like {frac12** disperse its seeds so that propagation can occur. If the seed were not dispersed but predated, it is the end of the line for the plant. Directed deterrence operates in a manner that selectively discourages seed predators, and lets beneficial seed dispersers do their job! After all, the function of a fruit is to facilitate seed dispersal. The role of capsaicin may be understood then as a selective deterrent: Mammals no, Birds welcome!

Heh, Shows I can google
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25   #3
God Member

well I love 'em, although in small doses

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 14:43   #4

Remember my son who was around 10 at the time bought a very large jar of jelly beans, they were actually called Arse Kicking Jelly Beans. Inside each jelly bean was part of a jalapeno, personally i didn't try one. But he made a fortune at school he was selling them for 10p each.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 17:57   #5
land of hope and glory

knew i shouldnt have had so many ! toilet paper in the freezer this morning.ooocch
Old 09-07-2005, 18:36   #6
Senior Member+

stagerring man stop being so soft.Love em and eat them readily.About the only stuff in this house that the kids do not want to eat along LOL!
Old 09-07-2005, 21:13   #7
Beacon of light

I think I have read somewhere that capsiacin is good for arthritic joints....but I think you have to have it in an ointment and rub it on....being very careful afterwards not to touch your dangly bits....or around your eyes.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 00:17   #8
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
stagerring man stop being so soft.Love em and eat them readily.About the only stuff in this house that the kids do not want to eat along LOL!
cover them in choclate they soon would.....he.he
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07   #9

I love em too on a cooked meat butty. Although they are fantastic in an om'elet
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..