Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 01:07   #16

Re: Should Politicians Be More Honest And Accountable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
And what was that called?

See if you can find it on an official government website, there has to be more to the bill than that. I have public law at 9am, so I'll ask my lecturer what it is, I'm sure she'll be able to give me the proper citation so i can look it up and post the whole thing up.
Not sure of the name but it was on 11th October 2007 BBC2
Old 12-11-2007, 06:50   #17
Resident Waffler

Adam Price? Is that the Welsh MP?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:03   #18
God Member

No ... politicians are fine the way they are. Life would be a lot more bland without the odd political scandal now and again to take our minds off Paris Hilton. One of our ex Prime Ministers will soon be the subject of a Public Inquirey. Evidently, he received massive kickbacks in what is known as the Airbus Scandal. Honest is no fun ... notoriety comes only with a little scandal. Tommy Douglas will be remembered as Kiefer Sutherland's grandfather, not as the only honest politician Ottawa has ever seen.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:34   #19
God Member

I don't think your average Politician lies, I do think they withhold information sometimes though. Politics, even being on the fringe of it like I am, means that you find information out that sometimes isn't in everyone's best interest to say or sometimes saying it without actual proof can be very difficult because it can get you in huge trouble.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 20:40   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres many a politition tells you what they think you want to hear,which is usually complete claptrap, that much i have discovered in my lifes journey, its quite amusing reminding them what they said on such a date, and listening to em saying they didn,t or they didn't mean that, on that basis i would say YES they do lie,but it dont bother me much, i expect it.
Old 14-11-2007, 21:25   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I don't think your average Politician lies, I do think they withhold information sometimes though. Politics, even being on the fringe of it like I am, means that you find information out that sometimes isn't in everyone's best interest to say or sometimes saying it without actual proof can be very difficult because it can get you in huge trouble.
In other words, when you are up to your bottom lip in liquid s**t, don't make waves
Old 14-11-2007, 22:16   #22
God Member

To accuse someone of telling a lie is to assume that there is something called the truth, something independent of what a group of people accept as true. Also one should also consider the context. Politicians inhabit a world in which the manipulation of language in order to make a point, or gain an advantage over other politicians is viewed as the norm. And a little prevaricating in order to get elected is also ok. Accountability is a problem only for politicians in a democracy, and is seen by some as one of the drawbacks of the system. It is difficult to ensure that the trains run on time, or that one goes to fight a war for the wrong reasons if one has to be accountable to the voters. A little distortion here and there (weapons of mass destruction) goes a long way towards improving govt. efficiency.
Old 14-11-2007, 22:52   #23
God Member

I think Churchil put it best whenl he suggested that political lies were "terminological inexactitudes." Was John Profumo the last English politician to confess to mangling the truth? Or have there been some others since.
Old 14-11-2007, 22:59   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think Churchil put it best whenl he suggested that political lies were "terminological inexactitudes." Was John Profumo the last English politician to confess to mangling the truth? Or have there been some others since.
well archer didn't exactly tell the truth, but got bird for his troubles. unless of coarse perjury is telling it pmsl

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..