Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2011, 13:56   #2176
God Member

Re: weather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya mean you'll be donning the tennis racquet shoes next month then Eric
Don't know if it will be next month; but I was out on my front porch having my first cup of coffee of the day and there were flights of geese heading south ... not a good sign. Squirrels seem to be stocking up on the groceries. Summer is definitely winding down. It's been a good one; a few days when it was just too hot and muggy, but overall, not bad at all.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2011, 19:55   #2177
God Member

Lovely here again today -blue skies and warm sunshine (23°C) in the afternoon -went for a round trip of 8 km on my bike -part of a "keep healthy" campaign. Lots of Moorhen on the canal and the leaves are just starting to turn -i love Autumn.
Wouldn't mind a wet windy walk along the Leeds-Liverpool canal though....very invigorating!
Only downside of the day -a visit to the dentists.....
Plus my laptop keeps blue-screening!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:33   #2178
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Lovely here again today -blue skies and warm sunshine (23°C) in the afternoon -went for a round trip of 8 km on my bike -part of a "keep healthy" campaign. Lots of Moorhen on the canal and the leaves are just starting to turn -i love Autumn.
Wouldn't mind a wet windy walk along the Leeds-Liverpool canal though....very invigorating!
Only downside of the day -a visit to the dentists.....
Plus my laptop keeps blue-screening!
Well the good old weather is set fair here in blighty for the next 5 days, will be partaking of some rays and fresh air this after down town in sunny Accy
Old 29-09-2011, 00:25   #2179
God Member

Quote:
Well the good old weather is set fair here in blighty for the next 5 days, will be partaking of some rays and fresh air this after down town in sunny Accy
With our winter coming on, I thought this might amuse you:

Old 29-09-2011, 08:57   #2180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
With our winter coming on, I thought this might amuse you:

Priceless Eric
Old 29-09-2011, 08:58   #2181
Resting in Peace

Was sat in the sun yesterday Eric in Sunny Accrington
Old 30-09-2011, 14:57   #2182
God Member

Quote:
Was sat in the sun yesterday Eric in Sunny Accrington
And I was raking leaves in sunny Kingston Damn maples ... beautiful trees, but a pain in the butt when they shed
Old 30-09-2011, 17:04   #2183
God Member

I have my mobile aircon machine running for the last two days.
It is bulky to store for most of the year, but a blessing at times like this.
I get heat from the shallow roof space so every room get too hot for comfort.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 17:50   #2184
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have my mobile aircon machine running for the last two days.
It is bulky to store for most of the year, but a blessing at times like this.
I get heat from the shallow roof space so every room get too hot for comfort.
I thought one frosty look from you would have been enough to cool things down
Old 02-10-2011, 20:11   #2185
God Member

Quote:
I thought one frosty look from you would have been enough to cool things down
Margaret must have been looking this way ... it's been damn cold for the past couple of days. The geese are starting to head out in their thousands.

I asked a friend of mine, an Algonquin indian, if he knew if the winter would be a hard one. His response: "Hey, paleface, watch the weather chanel like I do." So much for Indian lore.
Old 02-10-2011, 20:21   #2186
God Member

Must be quite a sight to see the migration of the geese. Here in Italy the weather is great -28°C in the afternoon but there's an autumny feel with leaves falling. Went along the canal today on my bike -great place for freeing the mind and thinking. There are lots of Moorhen this year as well as the usual ducks. Kept my eyes open as I have seen a Kingfisher there once last year -amazing, he wasn't around today though. Have only ever seen one before over 30 yrs ago while out walking with my dad along the Ribble down near Whalley Nab...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-10-2011, 20:59   #2187
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Must be quite a sight to see the migration of the geese. Here in Italy the weather is great -28°C in the afternoon but there's an autumny feel with leaves falling. Went along the canal today on my bike -great place for freeing the mind and thinking. There are lots of Moorhen this year as well as the usual ducks. Kept my eyes open as I have seen a Kingfisher there once last year -amazing, he wasn't around today though. Have only ever seen one before over 30 yrs ago while out walking with my dad along the Ribble down near Whalley Nab...
The geese are amazing ... but I am already looking forward to spring when they come back ... the corn harvest is in full swing, and there's nothing geese like better than corn ... so most of them will be around for a few weeks yet. We don't have any kingfishers here; but there are quite a few cardinals in the neighbourhood ... and the bluejays of course. The leaves are turning ... the fall colors in this part of the world take one's breath away. We may have frost next wednesday; that means that the nice weather that will probably come after it will be our Indian Summer. And Canadian Thanksgiving is on October 10. Hunting season just around the corner. And hockey is back. This is a great time of year.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46   #2188
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Margaret must have been looking this way ... it's been damn cold for the past couple of days. The geese are starting to head out in their thousands.

I asked a friend of mine, an Algonquin indian, if he knew if the winter would be a hard one. His response: "Hey, paleface, watch the weather chanel like I do." So much for Indian lore.
Just can't get the Indians these days can you Eirc
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44   #2189
God Member

Quote:
The geese are amazing ... but I am already looking forward to spring when they come back ... the corn harvest is in full swing, and there's nothing geese like better than corn ... so most of them will be around for a few weeks yet. We don't have any kingfishers here; but there are quite a few cardinals in the neighbourhood ... and the bluejays of course. The leaves are turning ... the fall colors in this part of the world take one's breath away. We may have frost next wednesday; that means that the nice weather that will probably come after it will be our Indian Summer. And Canadian Thanksgiving is on October 10. Hunting season just around the corner. And hockey is back. This is a great time of year.
Nature is a wonderful thing -puts everything back into perspective, what seems big is actually small in the grand scale of things....
Didn't realise the 10th was Thanksgiving in Canada -I will also be celebrating, but just another birthday! We are due to continue with the good sunny weather till then according to the forecasts ...in the meantime I'll keep getting out on the bike and conversing with nature (it can't refuse to listen!)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51   #2190
Beacon of light

Quote:
October the 10th is St Lukes day....and a sunny warmish spell around this date is referred to as 'St Luke's Little Summer'.........I like the Autumn colours, but it fills me with dread that later on in the month we will put the clocks back by an hour and we will have shorter days.......dark when we get up and dark early in the afternoon.
It makes me want to hibernate until the end of March.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..