Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2005, 11:34   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: What For!

There used to be alot of poaching in that area at the beginning of the 20th century, after all you could feed a family of eight quite easily through the winter if you managed to 'rustle' a good size bridge. So to prevent this theft the land-owner used to tie the bridge down in the evening so he could sleep peacefully through the night knowing the bridge would still be there in the morning.

Or as this picture demonstrates it was for an early form of bungy jumping!

Last edited by Less; 29-06-2005 at 11:41.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2005, 14:42   #17
Senior Member+

Actually I have to respond to the last post as I find anyone who upholds the poaching of bridges as a good thing, yes you could feed a very large family on one good bridge but my Grandfather, god rest his soul, was an ex Bridgerdier in the WW1 and when he came out he got a job with LCC as Bridge keeper to Lord Frodshum of Eccleston and his job was to ensure that all poachers were brought before his Lordship where they would get a good whipping and deported to Yorkshire. One night he heard a comotion and a lot of swearing on Sally's bridge in Wycoller he crept up slowly and doing a tiger crawl that he had learnt in the Army he got close enough to hear them talking "aye shes a big lass" said one of them "thall never be able to trap it" said the other " Just watch me I bet she's a righty bloody tiger with a couple of drinks" That was enough for my Grandfather he was on them in a blink of an eye," Your under arrest for trying to Poach this bridge" said my Grandfather "Bloody hell your a loony" said one of the men but my grandfather would not be put off with mere words " get yerselves to his Lordships and may god have mercy on you" My Grandfather was not one to be trifled with and marched them to Lord Frodshum's who deported them to Yorkshire where they would spend the rest of thier lives trying to escape that god awful accent.
So please don't trivialize Bridge poaching as there are people in Yorkshire still trying to escape and my Grandfather put the there.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 14:49   #18
Resident Waffler

If that bridge is th one near the Aspinall Ams it'sactually in no man's land so as it something to do with tolls?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 17:08   #19
land of hope and glory

what do you mean willow in no mans land?i can think of only three bridges that are in clithroe, eddisford bridge, mitton bridge and one near the cement works.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:58   #20
I am Banned

the rings are actualy gypies earings that were torn from gypsie ears and hung off bridges as a warning to other gypsies that were thinking of entering the village
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 18:03   #21
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpest1
You are right willow. They were for tying horses to (not garinda) and the barges were pushed through with the feet. You were very close in what you said. It was called 'Footing'
dont think the river was deep enough for barges?
Old 08-07-2005, 18:34   #22
Resident Waffler

That was when I thought it might have been a canal but certainly not on the river.

Is it horsey at all?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 19:51   #23
land of hope and glory

there are four rings two on oneside and directley across from them there are two more its baffled me....lol
Old 08-07-2005, 20:01   #24

Exclamation Re: What For!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
yes it is at clitheroe quite a lot of bridges there though!
is this still going or is it to late (look at the dates)
i must read all the posts befor i do a post

slap me !!!

tell you tomorrow im going tomitton in the morning......
.. apest1 ..

Last edited by apest1; 08-07-2005 at 20:12.
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:11   #25
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by apest1
is this still going or is it to late (look at the dates)
i must read all the posts befor i do a post

slap me !!!

tell you tomorrow im going tomitton in the morning......
what the cufk are you on about apest1.
Old 09-07-2005, 17:12   #26

Red face Re: What For!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
what the cufk are you on about apest1.
frist time i looked the dates was 22/23-6-2005..up to the 29/6/05 (it was the 8/7/05 when i put my thing on) then found page 2.....
WELL me and my littel girl sen`t 2 hrs at mitton this morning AND now one Knows what there for , so if you can keep it going till monday . i wiill go to stoneyherst col and see if thay can put some light on it... ONE thing i did fined is that mitton was called mytton till 1893 and the church !!!!!! well just go and see it ... (sorry for the mix up staggers)
.. apest1 ..
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..