Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 03:45   #31

Re: Why do we drive on the left?

Over here you have to watch the ones that drive on the same side as you
Angel 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2004, 05:24   #32
Junior Member+

because it's the right side of the road to drive on
drakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:06   #33

Once watched a Top Gear type programme and there was a feature on driving in India. This, literally, is what the driving test is - get in car, start car, set off, drive straight for 50 yrds, turn left (45degree turn), stop car.

I find it scary that nationals from other countries are allowed to drive in the UK on a license acquired by passing such weak criteria!!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 14:58   #34
Senior Member+

Ceejache they had the same problem in Germany.Now all criteria from different countries have been checked out e.g. India , Pakistan.U.S.A. and Canada but to mention a few all are allowed to drive here for a max of 12 months and have to be over 21 years of age.Then they have to take a German national liscence or walk
Old 04-06-2004, 15:29   #35

Cheers Mik...we should have something like that in place in the UK, then again many people who do hold a UK license cant drive either...!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 15:41   #36
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

In New Zealand you also have to take the national test after about 12 months. Their road rules vary a bit from ours, but it's easy enough to learn them. I had no problem with the driving over there (once you get used to the country roads being littered with dead possum)...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 15:48   #37
God Member

They must be lousy drivers killing all these animals on the roads....did you kill any while you were there?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 15:54   #38
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Not that I'm aware of Tealeaf. Possum come out onto the roads at night, they are small and not easy to see. Plus they are vermin, so nobody really gives a toss....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 15:57   #39
God Member

You think they got a death wish? I'm surprised you've not written about this in the earlier accounts of your trip. It would make a nice chapter "Lettie & the suicidal possum attack..."
Old 04-06-2004, 16:00   #40
Roy
Administrator

Here in Moscow we are supposed to take the national test after 6 months. But we just leave the country and get fresh stamps and say we have only just started driving in Russia. A lot of the people here 'purchase' their license, they don't even have to get into a car, which is proably better than the alternative... Learner drivers here start on go-kart tracks in a lada, I'm not joking and will try to get a photo one day when I'm going past the track!!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:00   #41
Senior Member+

That sounds like a script for an advertisement
Old 07-06-2004, 10:42   #42

Here in the USA one has six months to take the driving test. It is much easier than ours. You answer about twenty questions and have to get sixteen of them right I think it is. Then you take an eye test, wearing your glasses, of course, if you use them. (Your licence then says you have to wear glasses to drive.) The practical test lasts about 5 minutes and consists of driving the car out of the testing station parking lot. Driving about half a mile to a quiet road, stopping and backing up about 20 yds. keeping parrallel with the kerb, doing a three point turn, returning to the parking lot and parking in an alloted space. That's it. Easy peasy.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:49   #43
God Member

..and in some states you can do that at 14, if I'm right. No wonder you can't have a drink till you're 21!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:55   #44

Have to say I thought it was 16 throughout the country but I may be wrong, it would not be the first, or last, time.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:16   #45
God Member

Whats that - drinking or driving? I always thought the laws were state, rather than federal...I think there's one state left where you can drink at 18 (dunno which)...but I think I'm also right in saying you can get married at 14 in some states.

Seems odd to me...you can sign up and have your b*lls shot off in Iraq at 19, but when you get back and get out of hospital you got to wait 2 years before you can go and tell your mates all about it over a pint or six.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..