Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2009, 19:25   #1
God Member

A "professional whore" ...

No, this does not belong in the over 18 sexion ... I'm not allowed in there anyway .... it has to do with government funding of organizations which go beyond free speech and that promote hatred and intolerance. Canadian Immigration Minister, Jason Kenney "is poised to slash federal funding to Canada's largest Arabic group after its president called him a 'professional whore' for supporting Israel." Apart from the obvious redundancy in the comment, should a group promoting anti-semitism ... (president of the Canadian Arab Federation Khaled Mouammar came out with the comment when Kenny criticized the presence of Hezbollah and Hamas flags at anti-Israeli rallies in Toronto; he also criticized Liberal MP Bob Rae because of his wife's involvement in Canada's Jewish community) ... receive government funding? All this came out in an interview Kenney gave with Sun Media in London, where he is attending an international conference on anti-semitism.

Is this the way to go with groups that are content to accept govt. funding, while, at the same time, they are promoting views which are counter not only to govt. policy, but also to the basic principles on which a country is founded. Kenney said "groups are free within legal bounds to say what they like. But groups whose leaders say intolerant or hateful things shouldn't get taxpayer funding. We should not be rewarding those who express views that are contrary to Canada's best liberal values of tolerance and mutual respect."

I agree with the govt. on this one; and I think that Mouammar is a little off the wall when he says that the decision is vindictive and that it promotes Islamophobia.

So, is the govt's response fair? Or is the govt. of Canada being "vindictive"? Should taxpayers fork out large wads of cash to groups who don't wish to become a true part of what it is to be Canadian?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2009, 19:31   #2
K-P

Re: A "professional whore" ...

free specch is supposed to be for everyone.. not just people who agree with you.. you cant fund one set who agree wiht you and not the other set if you are to be unbiased.
Old 17-02-2009, 19:43   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
free specch is supposed to be for everyone.. not just people who agree with you.. you cant fund one set who agree wiht you and not the other set if you are to be unbiased.
Can't agree with this .... the govt. funds lots of groups who disagree with their policies: environmental groups come to mind, and all opposition parties who more or less make a living out of criticizing the current govt. also receive large amounts of govt. funding ... it's not a question of not being able to mouth off at the govt. and your adopted country, it's a question of how you do it ... it is no crime in Canada to deny the holocaust; but it is a crime to use this denial to promote anti-semitism. So I don't think it is merely a question of free speech, but rather one of how taxpayers' money is spent. For example, if an Englishman chooses to stand up in Hyde Park and criticize the govt., he would no doubt be well within his rights. However, he should not be given govt. money in order to fund his activities.
Old 17-02-2009, 20:27   #4
I am Banned

Why should any alian group in any country get special goverment funding. That not why we pay our taxes.

I'm fed up with the hovis in downing st, everlasting promising foreign governments our cash for self made disasters. Yet these foreigners can find money for guns to kill us with.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 21:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I agree with the govt. on this one; and I think that Mouammar is a little off the wall when he says that the decision is vindictive and that it promotes Islamophobia.

So, is the govt's response fair? Or is the govt. of Canada being "vindictive"? Should taxpayers fork out large wads of cash to groups who don't wish to become a true part of what it is to be Canadian?
I would also agree with the actions of your government on this, it is very similar to the stance of the UK against groups that set out to promote religious hatred. I would feel the same if it were a Jewish group promoting anti Islam views, because that would also run counter to the traditions of your country in promoting the liberal values of tolerance and mutual respect.

Last edited by claytonender; 17-02-2009 at 21:44.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 22:11   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I would also agree with the actions of your government on this, it is very similar to the stance of the UK against groups that set out to promote religious hatred. I would feel the same if it were a Jewish group promoting anti Islam views, because that would also run counter to the traditions of your country in promoting the liberal values of tolerance and mutual respect.
Ironically, at the rallies where flags of Hezbollah and Hamas were flown, there were thousands of Canadian jews expressing their solidarity with Palestinians and condemning the actions of the Israeli govt. and military.
Old 17-02-2009, 23:11   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Can't agree with this .... the govt. funds lots of groups who disagree with their policies
What sort of groups, are they political organisations?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 02:31   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What sort of groups, are they political organisations?
In the direct sense yes: One that comes immediately to mind is the Assembly of First Nations (I don't think that I have to explain this one); in fact, all First Nations receive govt funding, and most exert political and Political pressure on the Feds and the Provinces. Many other groups which have political agendas (jeez, I hate buzz words) also receive funding: womens' groups, groups representing minorities such as immigrants from the West and the East Indies, organizations representing gays and lesbians, groups promoting greater access to abortion (there is still not uniform access to this medical procedure), and groups opposed to abortion .... there are the massive transfers of Federal tax revenue to the individual provinces, few of which have any great love for the Federal Govt.
Old 18-02-2009, 05:24   #9

Smile Re: A "professional whore" ...

its simple people who do things like cut off funding just over a coment should not fund anything
cjrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 16:09   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrockman View Post
its simple people who do things like cut off funding just over a coment should not fund anything
It is anything but "simple" ... this is not about people cutting off funding over an offhand comment; it is about the elected govt. of a democratic nation with traditions of freedom and tolerance every bit as strong as those in Great Britain, making a decision about how public funds should be spent. It is also about a group claiming that our govt. is promoting, as a policy, Islamophobia, which is a crock of horse manure .... there is a current of Islamophobia in Canada, but this is a seperate issue and has more to do with the fact that Canadian troops are fighting and dying in Kandahar than it has with government policy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..