Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2024, 20:56   #1
God Member

Accrington Victoria hospital

It's just been announced by our current MP that there will be a public meeting at the town Hall this Friday at 5.30 to discuss the situation, it's probably already cut & dried but I for one will try to be there if there is the smallest chance that our hospital can be saved
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old Yesterday, 02:48   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Accrington Victoria hospital

I think you are right about it being cut and dried.
How many public meetings ever change anything when the organisation holding them is already of the mind set to close the place.

I will not be able to get to this meeting(my husband is in hospital right now and quite poorly) but if I could get there I would go.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39   #3

What a shame if the hospital closes. I was there in around 1949 having my tonsils removed. Then again in 1963 in an emergency having my appendix removed. I was told afterwards that it "burst" whilst in the operating theatre.

The care/treatment given was first class.
What it is like nowadays I don't know, but again it will be shame if it closes.
Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:36   #4
Beacon of light

The hospital was paid for by the local community so it belongs to the town…not sure what they will do with the place when it is closed.
It is considered to be too costly to repair it, but it has provided the community with vital services.
The walk in centre for instance, has been a good send to folk who find themselves unable to see a GP.
Old Yesterday, 11:52   #5
God Member

They say it's in too bad a state of repair for it to be used as a hospital but in the next breath say it could be made into an assisted living complex - if the money is there for that, why not repair it & let it carry on as a much needed hospital for our area.
Closing the minor injuries & x ray will put even more pressure on Blackburn which we all know is buckling at the knees as it is
Old Yesterday, 13:14   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Accrinton needs a hopital in my view.
Old Yesterday, 18:17   #7
Beacon of light

Recently my husband was blue lighted to RBH with sepsis and spent 37 hours in a corridor bed space. There were 150 patients in the department waiting to be seen.

It was like a war zone in A&E. anything that takes some of that pressure off has to be worth considering
Old Yesterday, 19:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Recently my husband was blue lighted to RBH with sepsis and spent 37 hours in a corridor bed space. There were 150 patients in the department waiting to be seen.

It was like a war zone in A&E. anything that takes some of that pressure off has to be worth considering
We had a similar experience in May this year with my 90 year old mum, as you say Margaret it seriously resembled a war zone - not the staffs fault at all, they were all doing their best in the most difficult of circumstances
Old Today, 02:04   #9

I remember fondly Accrington Victoria Hospital where my appendix was removed when I was eight years old. I also had several broken bones set there during my misspent youth.
One of my most vivid memories is of a Saturday afternoon sitting hunched over a tin bowl in the waiting room while the staff searched for a Doctor. While I sat spitting blood and teeth into that bowl. Oh the glory days of Rugby on Queens Road West. If I had to go to Blackburn Royal Infirmary I would have been Royally screwed since we did not possess a car or directions to BRI.
Many were the times that I was patched up at that hospital and I am grateful that most of the repairs have lasted me this long. The hospital belongs to the town and the local community. It should be preserved. Get it registered as a historical site. I am sure there are still some bits of me in the nooks and crannies to this day.
-Joe
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

« Accy market hall | - »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..