Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2012, 13:08   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Andrew Mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Really! You mean you can't swear at coppers over there? Country's going to the dogs
Nobody appears to be bothered about the swearing It's the descriptive word that's appears to be causing the most problems.One mans word against another.

Or should I have said Pleblem?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2012, 14:06   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Wrong. Using four letter words towards a policeman is a public order offence and I have seen people arrested for it.
OK pleb may be a four letter word but it's not that sort of four letter word. Very mild in my opinion, even a bit of joke.

I'm sure lots of us might be tempted to use such words if we had had a hard day or were under stress.

I do think this whole thing has been blown up out of proportion and is distracting from the everyday business that should be concentrated upon.

Perhaps if some people stopped slagging off MPs and had a go at their job things might be a bit different.
Old 24-09-2012, 14:16   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
OK pleb may be a four letter word but it's not that sort of four letter word. Very mild in my opinion, even a bit of joke.
The industrial four-letter words were quoted by Gynn in post 1.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 14:16   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The word he is alleged to have used before pleb is far from mild yet people like you omit to mention that. cos i cannot think for 1 min that yeh aint read or seen the fact.
Old 24-09-2012, 14:17   #35
God Member

Quote:
Perhaps if some people stopped slagging off MPs and had a go at their job things might be a bit different.
They aren't forced to do the job , they choose to do the job
Old 24-09-2012, 14:27   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm sure lots of us might be tempted to use such words if we had had a hard day or were under stress.

I do think this whole thing has been blown up out of proportion and is distracting from the everyday business that should be concentrated upon.

It's the other four letter words he's alleged to have uttered that (if he has uttered them) should've got him arrested for a public order offence. As for the p-word, I can honestly say it's never passed my lips, but then again, I'm not a toffee-nosed, upper class hooray henry who looks down upon the lower orders as many members of this government do.

As for having a go at Andrew Mitchell's job, let's see, what was his last position? Oh yes, Minister for Overseas Development, where he oversaw a 37% rise in the overseas aid budget (whilst people in this country were suffering from government cuts) and lavished our money on the likes of India (which can afford a space programme), China and Saudi Arabia. Yep, he did a great job there!
Old 24-09-2012, 14:31   #37

I have to own up that we at AGS called first-formers plebs.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 14:33   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I have to own up that we at AGS called first-formers plebs.
I didn't. I called 'em another four letter word.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:08   #39
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The word he is alleged to have used before pleb is far from mild yet people like you omit to mention that. cos i cannot think for 1 min that yeh aint read or seen the fact.
Quote:
It's the other four letter words he's alleged to have uttered that (if he has uttered them) should've got him arrested for a public order offence. As for the p-word, I can honestly say it's never passed my lips, but then again, I'm not a toffee-nosed, upper class hooray henry who looks down upon the lower orders as many members of this government do.

As for having a go at Andrew Mitchell's job, let's see, what was his last position? Oh yes, Minister for Overseas Development, where he oversaw a 37% rise in the overseas aid budget (whilst people in this country were suffering from government cuts) and lavished our money on the likes of India (which can afford a space programme), China and Saudi Arabia. Yep, he did a great job there!
To be honest I try and stay away from the news as much as possible so no I was not fully aware of anything else that was said. But there has been so much attention given to the p-word that I couldn't avoid hearing about that.

I'm talking about the job of constituency MP not being a minister or anything like that. Would you want to do it? cos I'm sure I wouldn't. And being a minister etc is more about government policy than personal preference.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:12   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I certainly would have done the job when younger if the opportunity had arisen, as i did a thankless voluntary job fer 22 years,(and enjoyed it) i sure as hell would fer that salary.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:15   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm talking about the job of constituency MP not being a minister or anything like that. Would you want to do it? cos I'm sure I wouldn't.
So are you saying that if we don't actually harbour the ambition to be an MP, we have no right to criticize them?

We are the people who elect these politicians, we are the people who pay their wages, they work for us, therefore we have every right to criticize them, especially when they behave in a high handed and arrogant fashion as Andrew Mitchell has.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:18   #42
Resting In Peace

Quote:
So are you saying that if we don't actually harbour the ambition to be an MP, we have no right to criticize them?

We are the people who elect these politicians, we are the people who pay their wages, they work for us, therefore we have every right to criticize them, especially when they behave in a high handed and arrogant fashion as Andrew Mitchell has.
No I'm not saying we shouldn't criticise, of course not, just that there might be a bit more understanding of what the job involves rather than the slagging off which appears to be the norm. Moderation rather than pointscoring. I might be more interested in politics if that were the case.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:22   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
No I'm not saying we shouldn't criticise, of course not, just that there might be a bit more understanding of what the job involves rather than the slagging off which appears to be the norm. Moderation rather than pointscoring. I might be more interested in politics if that were the case.
"Pointscoring" is exactly what MPs do. You can hear them at it on TV night after night. It's one of the main reasons why we do criticize them so much on here.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:24   #44
Beacon of light

It isn't how mild the word was, it is the connotation behind the word...the man was infering that the policeman was of lesser importance....and he was denigrating him in this way. Who is to say that the policeman would not have made a better MP than Andrew Mitchell...had he had the chance or the inclination.

I don't think we need to be able to do the job of an MP to criticise Andrew Mitchell - he was being rude because he hadn't got his way...chucked his dummy....but this isn't why people want him to resign...they want him to resign because he isn't man enough to 'fess up' and tell the truth. He wants us to believe the policeman is a liar.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:26   #45
Resting In Peace

Quote:
"Pointscoring" is exactly what MPs do. You can hear them at it on TV night after night. It's one of the main reasons why we do criticize them so much on here.
Agree with that, they shouldn't be doing it either. Think it's a reflection on our society today. Everything seems a lot more aggressive.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..