Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2010, 14:40   #106
God Member

Re: Another one bites the dust

I should add that most breweries would like to offload their tied houses and deal solely with bulk customers. But they are not stupid and they realise that people still like to go out to drink, and keeping the price to the tenant high maximises profits from their tied houses. This is why there is such an emphasis on Gastro Pubs, Family Pubs, Sports Pubs etc. etc. .

Any niche will do.
Old 22-10-2010, 18:02   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that seems a fair summary A-B, the answer then is fer any government to prohibit supermarkets n alcohol licence, n only allow sales to pubs/clubs/ local office etc, that is the only way i see a level playing field. of coarse the tescos.asds,etc would bleat, but as there ******* anyway i dont care.
I knew there had been something missing for a couple of weeks, its just twigged cashy's charming way of putting things, welcome back cashy
Old 23-10-2010, 02:28   #108
Senior Member+

A-B - brilliant explanation.

end of the day regardless of the history if a pub just does not have the capacity to operate on a profit should it just be left there and nothing be done with it for the sake of that history?

people just dont want to be paying £2.80 for a pint when they can get 20 cans for a fiver from asda etc.

i have a pretty good idea what it is going to be - and its not another kebab shop.
Old 23-10-2010, 02:43   #109

just seen in a paper that for the first time ever..food takings are bigger than drinks takings in pubs in the uk so far this year.another one bites the dust ? another one bites the gammon steak more like
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 05:33   #110
Senior Member+

mitchells and butler - one of the uk's biggest pub companies has been actively changing all its bars/pubs into eateries/restaurants.

wet sales are not looking promising so they've made a conscious decision to either convert them it food sale leaders or sell them off to other companies.

loads of barracuda's/varsity's etc are up for grabs - o neills are being sold off where they deem them as wet lead pubs - the blackburn one has been sold

they've sold all the bowling alleys - like the one in bolton. hollywood bowls

alot of the smaller pubs have taken the chop too - either closing them or putting their lease up for grabs.
Old 23-10-2010, 08:38   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
mitchells and butler - one of the uk's biggest pub companies has been actively changing all its bars/pubs into eateries/restaurants.

wet sales are not looking promising so they've made a conscious decision to either convert them it food sale leaders or sell them off to other companies.

loads of barracuda's/varsity's etc are up for grabs - o neills are being sold off where they deem them as wet lead pubs - the blackburn one has been sold

they've sold all the bowling alleys - like the one in bolton. hollywood bowls

alot of the smaller pubs have taken the chop too - either closing them or putting their lease up for grabs.
Looking Good then!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 13:40   #112
Common Sense Member

A very in-depth reply, Bob, although a little unnecessary as I do understand the concept of bulk sales.

The points you made are all very valid but the rents vary from tenant to tenant within the same pub depending on the success rate and the mark up of nearly 100% on barrels of ale would seem to be a little excessive in covering things such as advertising charges.

I get where you're coming from but I still stand by my statement that the breweries themselves are killing off their own pubs through greed and blaming it on the government when it simply isn't true.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 14:06   #113
Resting in Peace

I have a friend who is the landlady of a pub in Burnley her and her hubby are in partnership with another couple, they opened it p around feb march this year, ts a free house has 6 cask beers and numerous other bears and lagers, there's live music Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday Tea and from all accounts they are going quite well
Old 23-10-2010, 14:19   #114
Common Sense Member

Excellent stuff, good for them.

Further evidence that free houses are the way forward.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 19:45   #115

A LANDLORD has given up the leasehold on his pub for nothing rather than keep losing money.

Mark Graham, 52, had run the Dog and Partridge in Back Lane, Baxenden, for six years with his wife Elizabeth.

But it has now closed after falling customers and rising costs.

Mr Graham, who has been in the pub business for 16 years, said he believed that many other pubs like his would go the same way.

He said he had been trying to sell the lease for £60,000 but decided simply to give it up for nothing rather than continue to lose money at the pub.

Mr Graham said he had seen little help from local authorities or the brewery, Scottish and Newcastle, which owns the pub.

LET 131210

Dog & Partridge 41 Back Lane, BAXENDEN, Accrington BB5 2RE Lancashire | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 22:56   #116
Full Member+

So if in Jan I come for a visit will there be any PUBS LEFT ??????????????
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 23:18   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
I'm sure you'll still be able to find one or two.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 08:56   #118
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
I'm sure the Railway will still be open mick, Less and Beni won't let it close
Old 14-12-2010, 12:01   #119
God Member

I think the only way a Pub can be a viable business now is as a second 'job' to someone. i.e. I go to work in my paying job but live in the pub ( thus saving mortgage payments etc) but instead I work in evenings/weekends as a second job running a pub. This hopefully pays my expenses of living there and maybe a little sweetner on top. I dont think its possible now for a Pub to be a career choice for a couple.

Cheap booze from offlicenses etc will never help but when I left the game in 1997 a pint of Stella was approaching 2 quid. you could equally buy a 2 litre bottle of strong white cider for £1.49 from ALDI. Ditto wine was 2.50 a large glass, bottles of decet quality stuff was less than that even back then.

I did work pubs etc for years and the only places back 10 years that were making any real cash were the managed pub/restaurants like Brwers fayres and the ilk. There will always be the odd good free house but they are few and far between and its not going to get any easier.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 17:48   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I think the only way a Pub can be a viable business now is as a second 'job' to someone. i.e. I go to work in my paying job but live in the pub ( thus saving mortgage payments etc) but instead I work in evenings/weekends as a second job running a pub. This hopefully pays my expenses of living there and maybe a little sweetner on top. I dont think its possible now for a Pub to be a career choice for a couple.

Cheap booze from offlicenses etc will never help but when I left the game in 1997 a pint of Stella was approaching 2 quid. you could equally buy a 2 litre bottle of strong white cider for £1.49 from ALDI. Ditto wine was 2.50 a large glass, bottles of decet quality stuff was less than that even back then.

I did work pubs etc for years and the only places back 10 years that were making any real cash were the managed pub/restaurants like Brewers fairs and the ilk. There will always be the odd good free house but they are few and far between and its not going to get any easier.
Think you maybe right there entwisi, but running two jobs like that takes some doing, I'd much rather work longer in my own job than have two, especially with the second being in the licencing trade. Just as a matter of interest its absolutely years since I had a drink in a town centre pub, whats the average price for Larger, bitter mild ect

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..