Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2005, 15:55   #16
God Member

Re: Anyone interested in table games?

Looks fun but there are a few flaws in your plan. Mainly the fact that the river that goes through Hyndburn is about 3ft wide and not deep enough to sail a bath tub down. Although there are a few bath tubs and strange items already thrown in there that we could use. I was thinking more of table board games.

What about Trivial Pursuit - or is that a bit old hat these days?
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2005, 15:55   #17
God Member

Or backgammon - would anyone be interested in that?
Old 17-04-2005, 16:07   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Looks fun but there are a few flaws in your plan. Mainly the fact that the river that goes through Hyndburn is about 3ft wide and not deep enough to sail a bath tub down. Although there are a few bath tubs and strange items already thrown in there that we could use. I was thinking more of table board games.

What about Trivial Pursuit - or is that a bit old hat these days?
Hmmm Gayle, look again.

The unusual thing about the Australian event is that it is a Regatta that does not involve water..its the sort of thing that would be suitable for somewhere like Oakhill park. As far as I can see, there is minimal expenditure on the part of the organisers but neverthless it manages to raise substancial sums for charity and in between an awful lot of effort goes into exercising everything from creative juices to muscular effort.

I'm not sure where you're coming from on this one, Gayle. Would this "games day" be organised under the auspices of the MPAA? Or of Hyndburn Council? You say you have it in mind for next year; does it neccessarily have to be indoors...what is wrong with the glorious outdoors, other than the weather risk? (admittidly high in Accy)

I think the only way you could possibly get an indoor event going would be to push it along the lines of "Accy Indoor Olympic Games"...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 16:44   #19
Resident Waffler

How about a frog race?

And before anyone screams "cruelty to frogs" or "that needs water and the great Outdoors", it involves paper frogs on table tops. First you have to make the frog.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 17:22   #20
land of hope and glory

what about spin the full bottle ? who it points to they have to sup it....he...hee

how about cocroach racing?
shove ha penny?
laying on a bed of nails(and have the frog race after...he...he)
a lot of the games been mentioned would have to have a time limit on them because some of them go on for ages!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 18:49   #21
I am Banned

sounds like a good idea and would attract quite a lot of people

unfortunatly unless a game involves a xbox or a pc i wont personaly be interested although throwing black puddings would be fun

hey if you leave it until june july the weather will be ideal for cow pat flinging

you can get some good distance with a dried out cow pat

some of us stronger folk may be able to hit the town hall lmao
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 19:00   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Would this "games day" be organised under the auspices of the MPAA? Or of Hyndburn Council? You say you have it in mind for next year; does it neccessarily have to be indoors...what is wrong with the glorious outdoors, other than the weather risk? (admittidly high in Accy)

I think the only way you could possibly get an indoor event going would be to push it along the lines of "Accy Indoor Olympic Games"...
As I said at the beginning it is nothing to do with MPA (can I say it's MPA, not MPAA - don't know where you get the other A from). Anyway nothing to do with them or HBC. It's just something I'm thinking of organising and yes, calling it Indoor Olympics might be a good idea. It would be indoors because I want to organise an indoor table game competition - if someone else was interested in outdoor games then perhaps they could work on the outdoor version.
Old 17-04-2005, 19:13   #23
I am Banned

they used to have this kind of thing at hyams playing filed

table tennis etc indoors and a few outdoor acctivities

probably spelt hyams wrong but i mean the place at the end of moss hall road

theres a building there that could be used if you were looking for a location
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 19:45   #24
Beacon of light

A Beetle Drive.......they used to be all the rage at church and youth club socials way back in the 60's.........skittles is another one to think about.
I'm sure there would be people interested if it was publicised well.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..