Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2005, 08:11   #1
God Member

Anyone interested in table games?

I'm thinking (just thinking at this stage) of organising a table games day in March next year. I thought I'd let you all know to see what sort of interest there was in this kind of thing and also to get some ideas from you all about what sort of things you'd want to see.

My ideas so far include:
Competitions in Chess, Scrabble and Monopoly - with trophies up for grabs
Fun tables with jenga, connect 4, cluedo available so people can just sit down and play
Challenge tables with 'experts' at certain games - reversi, mastermind, and you have to beat the expert or can learn how to play
Jigsaw swaps - bring along an old jigsaw (all pieces) and swap it for another one completely free

It would all take space over the course of the day with prizes awarded at the end. I haven't considered age ranges as I think that would make it too complex.

So what do you think?
1. Would anyone be interested in participating?
2. Would anyone like to help by stewarding or challenging?
3. Are there any obvious games I've missed from my lists
4. Are there any other angles that people would like to see introduced

It's my plan to make it mostly free to compete - I'll apply to Awards for All for some funding.

Let me know what you think.

By the way this is absolutely nothing to do with arts, sculptures or Mid Pennine Arts - just something I've been thinking about doing for ages.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2005, 10:45   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: Anyone interested in table games?

Sounds good to me Gayle, can you say whether it is going to be mostly adult orientated or for children? If it is the former, is the venue likely to be a pub or a hall?
Old 17-04-2005, 10:52   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sounds ok to me, would card games be a possibility?
Old 17-04-2005, 11:44   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Sounds good to me Gayle, can you say whether it is going to be mostly adult orientated or for children? If it is the former, is the venue likely to be a pub or a hall?
Adults - although I suppose if kids thought they were up to the challenge.....

Would probably be during the day so in a hall is most likely.

To be honest, haven't really got that far. I'm just trying to gauge opinions and interest, so if more people say it should be open to kids then that's what I'll try and do.

Throw ideas at me about what would appeal to you!
Old 17-04-2005, 11:44   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
sounds ok to me, would card games be a possibility?
Wouldn't want to encourage gambling - so what sort of card games were you thinking about?
Old 17-04-2005, 13:52   #6
Resident Waffler

During the day? Would that be on a Saturday? (Otherwise it would exclude anyone who works for a living.)

What is "Awards for All" and why do they provide funding for privately organised ventures?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 14:50   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
During the day? Would that be on a Saturday? (Otherwise it would exclude anyone who works for a living.)

What is "Awards for All" and why do they provide funding for privately organised ventures?
Yes, I was thinking a Saturday.

You can get all sorts of funding for community events, if you know where to tap into them. Awards for All is one of the lottery funds.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:10   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Wouldn't want to encourage gambling - so what sort of card games were you thinking about?
whist @ those sort of games,don't play myself but thought it might appeal to some of the seinor citizens.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:17   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
whist @ those sort of games,don't play myself but thought it might appeal to some of the seinor citizens.
I don't know how to play it myself - could it work as a competition?

I've always wanted to learn how to play Bridge, a master class could be another angle to the day.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:23   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the old cocks play knockout whist competitions also bridge,thats about all i know on the subject. one or two have told me its very popular.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:26   #11
God Member

Suppose dominoes could also be considered. Might get a few more oldies interested.
Old 17-04-2005, 15:36   #12
God Member

Quote:
Suppose dominoes could also be considered. Might get a few more oldies interested.
Gayle, there already is a Hyndburn & District Dominoes & Darts league so it's like likely that if you run a Does competition several of the pub teams will turn up & thrash everyone in sight...have you possibly considered something obscure, such as the Black Pudding lobbing world championship that was held in Ramsbottom - a temporary home - last year?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:41   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Gayle, there already is a Hyndburn & District Dominoes & Darts league so it's like likely that if you run a Does competition several of the pub teams will turn up & thrash everyone in sight...have you possibly considered something obscure, such as the Black Pudding lobbing world championship that was held in Ramsbottom - a temporary home - last year?
Hmm, dominoes was just a suggestion. Though I suppose if it was just a one off competition rather than league there could be few underdogs winning.

Black pudding lobbing would be a bit tricky as a table game - now let's talk about black pudding eating and I could take on all challenges myself.

I wonder if there are any other odd games that could be considered - or even invented for the occasion?
Old 17-04-2005, 15:41   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
that was reason i didn't suggest darts/does, is black pudding throwing a table game(should be funny)
Old 17-04-2005, 15:50   #15
God Member

Quote:

I wonder if there are any other odd games that could be considered - or even invented for the occasion?
Here is one they have each year in Australia:

http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..