Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 18:54   #16

Re: Appreciating our past benefactors

^^ Agreed MargaretR. There is a danger of rose-tinting things, especially with regards to statues; where context is not immediately apparent.

Other methods do allow for a 'warts and all' approach though.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2011, 13:53   #17

I'm sure that those employers who happily used child labour were just as unlikely to be benevolent outside of their required reponsibilities. Former town's benefactors like the Hargreaves and the Grimshaws were held in high esteem by their employees as a mark of respect they received from their employers.

This interest in the Hargreaves and Grimshaw families stems from a project I am currently working on. A video about the history of Plantation road and the properties in this area. So, if anyone has any photographs of Arden Hall, Owl Hall, Plantation House, cottages, mill, I would be most grateful if you would get in touch with me.

Some of you may remember the fire at Owl Hall of 2007. It devestated what had been a lovely property. Well, anyone like myself that cares about the preservation of our historical buildings will be pleased to learn that someone from Haslingden has bought the property and work is underway restoring it to its former glory. There will be an additional 2 or 3 cottages on the same land as Owl Hall.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:19   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post
I'm sure that those employers who happily used child labour were just as unlikely to be benevolent outside of their required reponsibilities.
It's a fact that in 1870, at the height of our local industrialists' benefaction, 9.6% of children employed in the cotton mills were aged under thirteen years old.

Perhaps they did gave as true alruists, and apart fron the odd thing named after them, they didn't want lasting memorials to glorify their generosity. For instance when paying for stained glass windows in our local churches, such as St. John's.

Or perhaps they might have felt uncomfortable listening to sermons in church, in which Jesus said 'Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Me', knowing their fortune was in part thanks to the suffering of child labourers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 15:37   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's a fact that in 1870, at the height of our local industrialists' benefaction, 9.6% of children employed in the cotton mills were aged under thirteen years old.

Perhaps they did gave as true alruists, and apart fron the odd thing named after them, they didn't want lasting memorials to glorify their generosity. For instance when paying for stained glass windows in our local churches, such as St. John's.

Or perhaps they might have felt uncomfortable listening to sermons in church, in which Jesus said 'Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Me', knowing their fortune was in part thanks to the suffering of child labourers.
Alruists should of course read altruists.

Why do glaring mistakes only magically appear, after the edit button has vanished?

Old 14-07-2011, 15:19   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post
In a modern world where 'Please' and 'Thank you' are rarely part of the vocabulary; and so many facilities are taken forgranted by the younger generation, I do wonder how much of their attitude is down to us older folk. After all, if we don't promote what we know, how can we expect it to be appreciated?

My case in point concerns one of Accrington's greatest benefactors from the mid 1800s - Mr. Benjamin Hargreaves. If we were to record all that he did for Accrington and its people we would be a very long time. Known affectionately as 'Mr. Benjamin' in the town, he never tired of helping the poor and supporting those institutions that benefitted them.

As well as taking a lead in providing the Town Hall, Benjamin Hargreaves was the first President and prime supporter of the library. He almost single handedly provided the funding for St. John's Church and was a man of great benevolence in his support of several other religious establishments in the Town. As one of the Town's main employers, he was most respected by his employees. As it is recorded, rather than accumulate wealth from his various business interests he found a greater joy in sharing what he had with those who were in need.

For sure there is the Benjamin Hargreaves memorial Primary School on the junction of Barnside Road and Plantation Street, but where are the worthy accolades or placades celebrating this most munificent of Accrington's benefactors in the town? Even the Accrington Library that owes its very beginnings to Benjamin Hargreaves bares no trace of his fellowship, let alone his magnificent contribution in its formative days.

If the council can afford to place such monstrocities as the latest memorial to a virtually unknown man outside the Yorkshire bank on Blackburn road, [no disrespect to the person intended] then they would have done well to commemorate the fine figure of Mr. Benjamin Hargreaves who did so much for Accrington.

Younger generations learn by example and if we fail to give worthy recognition to those previous generations who have made such tremendous contributions to the development of Accrington, then we needn't be surprised or disappointed when our own efforts are so quickly forgotten.

I say, let's resurrect the name of Benjamin Hargreaves and give him the recognition in Accrington that he deserves and is long overdue.
How's this campaign going?

I've found a few old French francs, if you want them for your statue fund.

Tags
accrington, benjamin hargreaves, history

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..