Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which political party do you support?
Conservative. 5 9.43%
Labour. 17 32.08%
Other. 11 20.75%
None. 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 19:13   #76
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Are you political?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Basically he accuses Accy Web of left-wing political bias.
I'm a typical left-winger wouldn't you say so Garinda (Abolish Multiculturism and Close The Borders)

I vote locally for the person I think will do the best for my ward and that is Graham Jones (Labour) without a doubt. Nationally well that's my business but it won't be Labour or the Tories, you never know I may try myself in the General Election.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2007, 19:19   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I'm a typical left-winger wouldn't you say so Garinda (Abolish Multiculturism and Close The Borders)

I vote locally for the person I think will do the best for my ward and that is Graham Jones (Labour) without a doubt. Nationally well that's my business but it won't be Labour or the Tories, you never know I may try myself in the General Election.
Same here I think most people vote for the best for their ward, it makes sense to vote for someone who has got the constituents welfare at heart Paul Barton (Conservative) in my case, nothing is to much trouble for him so he gets my vote
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:27   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Same here I think most people vote for the best for their ward, it makes sense to vote for someone who has got the constituents welfare at heart Paul Barton (Conservative) in my case, nothing is to much trouble for him so he gets my vote
thats the best way to do it in my opinion,no matter which party it should be the person who represents you best.
Old 10-08-2007, 19:28   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
oooooooooooo rindy the piece is actually about you lol when did you write to the observer?
The letter I wrote is on the first post in this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ity-32482.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:29   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats the best way to do it in my opinion,no matter which party it should be the person who represents you best.
Yes and he really does
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:40   #81
God Member

cheers for that rindy, i feel compelled to write to them myself, but i know nothing about the politics of Hyndburn (sorry Accrington and District) as you have already said, we ARE NOT 'a labour loving Britcliffe-hating Clan'....and we certainly arent 'a website that does not tolerate dissenters to the labour cause'

isnt that classed as slander?

is there anything we can do about the bull thats come out of this John Farrers mouth?
Old 10-08-2007, 21:20   #82
God Member

i voted labour because my local councillor is best for the ward i live in as he lives in the same ward he represents and i know where he lives if you know what i mean
Old 11-08-2007, 21:35   #83
God Member

Quote:

One memorable Sunday night she answered those question, and others we had, live. She may not have changed our minds about the proposed Panopticon, but she did gain respect from some unlikely sources for her truthfulness, and sheer hard work in trying to allay our fears.
I got huge amounts of karma on that thread and my typing speed was really tested.

I don't think this is a Labour site at all. I've had many discussions with people who I disagree with and it's fine to disagree.

I think the problem with this situation is that the more we call for Conservatives to join the site the more we sound like we're braying for their blood.

I think it's slightly easier to be the party that aren't in power - you can have a say without ever having to prove your point. So people who support the Labour party, even local Labour councillors, can knock the current regime all they like and point out flaws in the management of the council without ever having to defend themselves - unlike the Conservatives who will always be in the wrong with someone because whatever decision they make someone will believe it to be the wrong one. It will be very interesting to see if the balance of posters switches if a Labour council is ever voted in.

What upsets me most often is the type of poster who comes on here and is insulting rather than prepared to enter a discussion, i.e. calling someone names if they disagree. Naturally if they start to call people names then regular posters come to the victims defense and 'out' the name caller, who has on occassion been shown to be a Tory. Then, of course, that adds fuel to the 'it's a Labour site' argument.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 22:15   #84
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Who is this Farrer chappie anyway?
A noboby or should I say a has been. There was a story about him a few years ago in the national press, maybe someone has it still and could scan it and post it. I for one would like to read how he lost his wife to another Councillor. Maybe after all these years he is no longer bitter, who knows.
Old 11-08-2007, 22:32   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
A noboby or should I say a has been. There was a story about him a few years ago in the national press, maybe someone has it still and could scan it and post it. I for one would like to read how he lost his wife to another Councillor. Maybe after all these years he is no longer bitter, who knows.
Well its a good enough reason to be bitter considering what happened. It shouldnt though be dragged along by him thinking everyone is out to betray or shaft him. He is a public figure and should behave as such.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 22:39   #86
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
He is a public figure and should behave as such.
Is he? Not any more I don't think.
Old 12-08-2007, 00:11   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think that's more than a bit unfair. People in public office are entitled to a private life. It's nobodies business but the people concerned what happened, unless the law is broken, which wasn't the case here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 00:27   #88
God Member

Quote:
I think that's more than a bit unfair. People in public office are entitled to a private life. It's nobodies business but the people concerned what happened, unless the law is broken, which wasn't the case here.
Its a pity the media dont take that view. There are too many private lives of politicians at all levels and all parties on the receiving end of their attention, judging and basic ripping apart. Even ex politicians are not immune from badgering from all and sundry.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:20   #89
Yank in King Art's Court!

As this thread winds down please allow me to explain my "conservative" vote. In american politics I'm a conservative independant. I don't believe our conservative is the same as yours. However, did want to make the poll well balanced. Plus I hated to vote "none."

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:20   #90
God Member

Quote:
Sorry, disagree with you on this , any person who who puts themself up for elected office puts themself and their reputation under the public microscope .
Since the Churchs have abdicated their traditional postion as 'guardians' of public morals and standards/ethics over to the new self appointed guardians, the Politicians and Civil Servants, (the folks who change their minds about everything as often as I change my underwear,) who then cry foul when their hypocrisy and indiscretions are pointed out , I think they should be held to a higher standard. ( the recent UK case involving the immigration judges comes to mind)

As an example, on a local level I would want to know if a member of the local public health services commitee had ever had an aged parent admitted to hospital for unexplained falls and bruising ........if they can't look after their own parents why should they have the responsibility for yours .

Same will someone elected into higher office , using an ex President and his wife as an example , how can trust someone who has access to the 'Doomsday' button when he says to the world "I never had sex with that woman" and the little blue dress along with the stains are there for the whole world to see .......should that have been kept quiet from the public ? ......my view , if Monica Lewinsky had been in her late 30s or her 40s no problem , just an indiscret sexual liasion ,to be sorted out between husband and wife in private , but this was a young woman , late teens/early 20s......and he was in his 50s, this womans life has been ruined , not because of the Press that broke the story , but because Bill Clinton exploited his position of power and authority to 'get his rocks off', what guy in his right mind is going to take Miss Lewinsky home to meet the parents and say this is going to be the mother of your Grandchildren.... and any kids she may have in the future are going to be stigmatized throughout their lives through no fault of their own as the kids of the woman who b**w the President .

I say publish and be dammed, if the mud sticks so be it , if your living a decent honest life there is usually no mud to be thrown

[(note to US users of the group , Mitt Romney is looking good for the nomination , though I am still waiting for the press to decide if Mormons really do worship the Devil or not ) absolutley no offense meant or intended to local users of this group , its an American media thing .]
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..