Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53   #1
God Member

Asda Restrict Alchohol Sales

I noticed a sign in Asda this morning. As from tomorrow night they will not be selling alchohol on a Friday night between midnight & 6am.

Must be the normal prime time for 13 yr olds to buy alchopops ?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:55   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Asda Restrict Alchohol Sales

probably is the normal time,after all its weekend.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I noticed a sign in Asda this morning. As from tomorrow night they will not be selling alchohol on a Friday night between midnight & 6am.

Na Dave any self respecting 13 year old buys their booze between midnight and 6am on thursday night, they don't want to spoil the weekenddo they
Old 06-03-2008, 16:41   #4
Senior Member+

Tesco have been doing this for a long time, but i think its from 10pm that you can no longer get alcohol
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 16:43   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Asda Restrict Alchohol Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

This smacks of just a Google Page Ranking exercise to try and deflect the criticism being levelled at supermarkets for selling cheap booze or even below cost.

I wonder what their sales record is for selling booze during those hours?

When a liquor license is issued to a person to sell booze in their shop/store/pub/restaurant etc. it also stipulates the days and time that booze can be legally sold. Thus the seller must abide by the terms of the license or lose it.

Unless Asda has had its liquor license amended they cannot just arbitrarily state that no booze will be sold on a Friday night between midnight and 6.00am.

Asda is getting too big for its boots.
Old 06-03-2008, 16:44   #6
God Member

How can it matter when they buy it -- it's when they sup it that is the problem

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 16:45   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
What are you complaining about? I thought you were barred from Blackburn ASDA? If not, you should be.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 21:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How can it matter when they buy it -- it's when they sup it that is the problem
hey its just a sleight of the hand,to try appease the useless government doo-gooders.
Old 06-03-2008, 22:16   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

This is bad news, the way things are going ASDA is the only place left that you can buy cheap beer and stand in a sheltered area smoking whilst drinking it!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 22:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
This smacks of just a Google Page Ranking exercise to try and deflect the criticism being levelled at supermarkets for selling cheap booze or even below cost.

I wonder what their sales record is for selling booze during those hours?

When a liquor license is issued to a person to sell booze in their shop/store/pub/restaurant etc. it also stipulates the days and time that booze can be legally sold. Thus the seller must abide by the terms of the license or lose it.

Unless Asda has had its liquor license amended they cannot just arbitrarily state that no booze will be sold on a Friday night between midnight and 6.00am.

Dont take this the wrong way but you're missing the point. Whilst I agree that this may well be a Google Page Ranking exercise, ASDA, and any other retailer for that matter can refuse to sell anything for whatever reason they like. They dont have an obligation to sell and you dont have a right to buy. The license allows them to sell (within its terms), it doesnt require them to. When you take goods to the till, you are making an 'invitation to treat' and an offer to buy. They can accept or refuse your offer. They could, for arguments sake, decide that they are only going to sell products to 147 year old women wearing red jumpers and that would be perfectly lawful.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 23:19   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i suspect the sales record in those hours is pretty high. have been down to asda quite a few times after midnight, (never many in) thats why i go, and have been amazed,most people have loads of cans/wine etc in trolleys these people are not kids,but seem very young to me.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:32   #12
white rabbits

I think Asda would lose more profit ,if they stopped selling booze from 6 PM untill Midnight, i am sure theres not that many kids shop in the middle of the night
Old 06-03-2008, 23:33   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I think Asda would lose more profit ,if they stopped selling booze from 6 PM untill Midnight, i am sure theres not that many kids shop in the middle of the night
theres a hell of alot more young uns than coffin dodgers like me do.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:28   #14
God Member

This has nothing to do with the age of the consumer, as Asda have very strict policy on age restrictions and asks even the oldest looking 21+ people for ID. Same goes for any large supermarket.

She'll kill me for saying this bt my mum once got ID'd for cigarettes whilst with me in Co-op, and I can't even buy a scratch card even when I'm wearing my university hoody without getting asked for ID.

Its the corner shops that are the problem, not supermarkets.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:05   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
This has nothing to do with the age of the consumer, as Asda have very strict policy on age restrictions and asks even the oldest looking 21+ people for ID. Same goes for any large supermarket.

Nobody else has actually said why it's been put in place. As you obviously know then why didn't you tell us ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..