Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2007, 16:26   #31
God Member

Re: Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Cyfr, I'm really sorry to hear about this and hope that the idiots who did it get some sort of retribution. I would hope that whether they were Asian or white or any other colour for that matter - it's good that you managed to identify them to the police and they can keep their eye on them.

I know you said it was four Asian lads who did this but how can you be sure it was a racist attack? I'm not trying to say that it was any less of a crime - just want to know if you're absolutely sure it was because of race. There are many incidents of attacks where the victim and attacker are of the same race so why if the two are of different races should it automatically be assumed that that is the reason for the attack.

Just checking.
Racist abuse was used before the physical attack.
Old 27-06-2007, 20:27   #32
God Member

Fair enough Cyfr.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 21:56   #33
Resident Waffler

I assumed that when he says he was racially abused that they were doing a bit of name calling before they became physically violent.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 21:57   #34
Resident Waffler

oops, missed those last 2 posts.

Old 27-06-2007, 22:43   #35
Resting in Peace

Whatever the reason Cyfr, twas an assault in any language, so good luck in bringing these idiots to justice. Forget the money/compensation, not what it is about, and sure you know that.

Sure your parents are behind you in this, as we are here, if it were my lad, would move heaven and earth to make sure they don't do it again ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 23:12   #36
Resident Waffler

It's awful when you can't feel safe on the streets isn't it?

Old 28-06-2007, 00:05   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Fair enough Cyfr.

Cyfr pm'd me what had happened to him, before he posted about in a thread. I didn't think to question him, when he told me it was a racist attack. From his posts on here I know he wouldn't have labelled the crime as racist, unless it actually was.

Last edited by garinda; 28-06-2007 at 00:08.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 00:10   #38
Give, give, give member

...he said in the very first post, in the second sentence, he was racially abused and then attacked.

Seems prtty clear cut to me.

Old 28-06-2007, 09:31   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's a misconception. The law, including the race laws, are applicable to everyone in this country, irrespective of the colour of their skin.

There have been plenty of successful prosecutions brought against people who have committed race crimes against white people.

Here's just one of many examples.

BBC NEWS | UK | Racism and race crime redefined
How come it's fine for a blackman to call anyone he chooses the famous N word and yet, when a whiteman uses the same, word in the same context, he'd better make sure there ain't a cop listening? I also am not a racist. I'm groupist, does that make me groopist or a groupie?
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 09:49   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
How come it's fine for a blackman to call anyone he chooses the famous N word and yet, when a whiteman uses the same, word in the same context, he'd better make sure there ain't a cop listening? I also am not a racist. I'm groupist, does that make me groopist or a groupie?
good point and correct to the best of my understanding,its something that really "BUGS" me.
Old 28-06-2007, 11:15   #41
Resident Waffler

It's to do with having 'reclaimed' the word apparently but some people use it to taunt white people and that is equally racist and offensive.

Old 28-06-2007, 11:22   #42
Give, give, give member

Strange that Gayle felt strongly enough to call in her complaint to Channel 4, thinking the bullying of Shilpa Shetty was racist, but questioned whether the attack on Cyfr was, even though he said he was racially abused before he was attacked.

Old 28-06-2007, 11:30   #43
God Member

Garinda please don't try to provoke an argument when there isn't one there. The two things are completely unrelated.

I have pm'd Cyfr (and you) to clarify why I asked - I have also acknowledged on thread that that it was a racist attack.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 22:30   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Strange that Gayle felt strongly enough to call in her complaint to Channel 4, thinking the bullying of Shilpa Shetty was racist, but questioned whether the attack on Cyfr was, even though he said he was racially abused before he was attacked.
people actually did that on this forum lol? I can't help but ask the question why anyone needs to question someones ability to decide whether an attack against them was a racial one or not.

Cyfr and Shilpa Shetty are both old enough to decide whether attacks against them were racially aggravated or not, it doesn't take a busy body to point it out for them!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 23:32   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Are you speaking from personal experience piltymon?.. can you back up your statement with actual figures?.. how many people have been arrested for calling someone a nigger?.. give us some facts and figures.
Just on a personal note can I ask if you call people niggers in day to day conversations?

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..